The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Drilled slotted brake rotors

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaj2gDSMspyder

Proven Member
Apr 8, 2015
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Hey guys! So I got a 1999 Eclipse Gst spyder and as I took off the wheels and replace my brakes, I noticed that my brake rotors are going to be needed replace soon due to some rust and old surface. I know not many rotors were made for the Gst spyder because a number of vendors claim that the Spyder and the Gsx use a different rotor than the Gst hardtop and it will wear out the brakes quicker. :hmm: But I wanted to give it a try and something else different from what I have usually experienced in and a bit better performance than the stock ones. Also, money isn't always the issue for me. My issue is, what brand do you guys and ladies recommend to go with? Does it make any big differences over the stock rotors? Also I like it because it looks cool! :D (I know I'm kind of sound dumb for saying that LOL ROFL) Just wanted to hear some feedback from everyone. Thanks! :idontknow:

While i dont think it matters if its spyder or not gst is gst reguardless so any gst rotors will work! Gsx wont due to them being bigger on the fronts,

There are many options for rotors but i would avoid all drilled as they will crack, stick with slotted or if you like the drilled effect then go with dimpled, ebc offer dimpled and i run there rears GD series, no cracks and are pretty good. Just pair good rotors with good pads therwise just use generic oem brand

If you just want it for looks, get anything you want. Just note that drilled rotors will start cracking down the road. If you actually want real braking performance, stick to standard blanks because they have more surface area.

For a cheap upgrade, go with outlander front brakes.

Also, this is in the wrong section...

Brembo OE replacement rotors with Hawk HPS pads. That combo kicks ass. Got my Brembo fronts for $37 a piece off tirerack.com and they don't warp because they are very high quality. Also those pads rock, they are quiet and stop fantastically even when cold. Search around and you'll come to the same conclusion.

I've had crossed drilled/ slotted rotors in my last 6 vehicles including the gsx and never had a problem with them. Maybe that just me.
The only one that is not daily driven is the gsx.
Also never race or track the vehicles just daily drive.

I've used drilled/slotted on my GST Spyder just the rears though never cracked and I've been using them for almost 5 years. I've changed pads like 4 times already. Once every year but when I do this year's brake job I wanna replace discs pads and add some SS lines.

I have run on slotted rotors before, they looked cool but it really did not make a noticeable difference. If you want stopping power, go with blank rotors and a good set of pads, if you want looks go with slotted. I have seen drilled rotors develop hairline cracks but they were just cheap parts store brand and were junked soon after. I'm sure genuine brembos won't crack.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back