The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

does the oil catch can work

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoder

Proven Member
Sep 28, 2014
wallins creek, Kentucky
i have searched through the forums and all any one has really asked is how to install an oil catch can ok but my ? is does it really work and what exactly does it do and improve on cause i have seen a few things that says it improves performance and engine life kinda like the voltage stabilizer that doesnt do squat really any info on them would really be appreciated

I have a catch can on my setup and it allowed me to pass the sniff test in flying colors since the catch can can remove tonnage of hydrocarbons from the blow by gasses in the crank case before re-entering the intake manifold.

And I have a blockoff plate for the EGR installed also.

good luck - DSM

Damn near every build Ive done Ive used them and yes they do work to a point. Theyre most effective when a type of baffle is used in them. Some of the tiny a$$ ebay ones fill up too quickly, (or don't have a separation between the fittings on the INSIDE, or theyre to close together), and allow the vapor to bypass the actual "catch" part and get into the intake and charge pipes. But I know in my catch can search years ago I was directed to this forum and found all the info I needed. I run two, one for the intake mani which works under vac, and another for the intake elbow. Both cans are tiny ebay ones, have baffles I made, and work effectively. But I really love the fact that it keeps the gunk out of the intake/charge system when a quality system is installed and properly maintained, ie. draining often.

I made my own with baffling and only cost about 15 bucks with a breather added also. Its cheap and helps the engine so why not. It pulls all the crap out of the air and keeps piping alot cleaner.

alright thanx guys for the help i will deffinitly look into getting one now

Yes it will keep nasty oil that would get into piping and also removes crankcase nasty ventilation and make sure its a large enuf can. This is keep oil out of turbo pipes and even intercooler if valve cover is routed OEM to intake.

just realized something to u have to use 2 cans or is one sufficient

And, this is an important tip to follow ... with some editing ... :
In stock form the line goes from the intake to the PVC.

Some have it set up with the line going from the intake to the catch can, the out of the catch can and into the pcv. Thus you are pressurizing the catch can under boost.

Take the PCV off of the valve cover and mount it to the inlet side of the catch can. Then run a line from the outlet side of the catch can back to the valve cover.

Doing the mode in the above recommended way, will prevent boost leaks.

-DSM

As long as there is some kind of check valve stopping the positive pressure going into the catch can, then it will work either way

Yeah they work. I run in my jetta and evo, both are functional and keep my tb and mani clean so no complaints here

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back