The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Does anyone have the Magnus intake manifold heat barrier gasket installed??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robs90tsi

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 26, 2006
grayslake, Illinois
I'm just wondering if anyone has it, couldnt find a thread on it, and how it performs as far as actually lowering the intake manifold temps. Slowboy says they sell like crazy, but I dont know of anyone who has one, it looks almost like a piece of plastic, someones gotta have it installed, let me know how it performs, and if it doesnt leak or what not. Because hey, for $30, thats real cheap for a little extra HP.

I got one on a 95 talon TSi AWD that I am working on for someone but the car is not up and running yet. But they say they should help for lowering the intake temp a bit. I would say just get one for $30.

Ya thats what I figured, I have one already, it just looks like a cheap piece of plastic, I was just trying to see if anyone has installed it sucessfully, the thing just looks like it will leak, it replaces the gasket and acts as a gasket/spacer right?

Hmmm, well it sounds like its worth it, ill install it and see how it performs. Thanks for the help guys.

Are you putting the gasket on by itself or with some sealant or copper spray? I used the stock metal gasket by itself before and it was leaking bad.

I think you can use this gasket by itself, but a little copper spay wont hurt for added comfert.

My friend had a Hondata plastic gasket on his turbo Civic. Supposedly they work, but let's be realistic. That air is in the manifold for like 0.000001 seconds, not nearly enough time for a significant (or any) amount of heat to transfer. That manifold is going to get hot from just being in the engine bay, it doesn't need direct contact with the head. And as a downside, you're effectively making your intake runners slightly longer. I guess if you need to buy a gasket already then go for it, but I wouldn't take anything apart just to put it in there.

i dont know if it works or not but i needed a gasket so i decided to buy one... only i'm hoping for it that it won't leak.. :D

MyBeatGSX said:
My friend had a Hondata plastic gasket on his turbo Civic. Supposedly they work, but let's be realistic. That air is in the manifold for like 0.000001 seconds, not nearly enough time for a significant (or any) amount of heat to transfer. That manifold is going to get hot from just being in the engine bay, it doesn't need direct contact with the head. And as a downside, you're effectively making your intake runners slightly longer. I guess if you need to buy a gasket already then go for it, but I wouldn't take anything apart just to put it in there.

They are not trying to directly cool the air with this gasket. They are just trying to make a seperation inbetween a Hot Cylinder head and the Intake Manifold. If you seperate them and put in a gasket that dont attract heat, it will effectivly make the Intake Manifold a cooler temp. It will drop the temp of air that passes through it, because the manifold will be not as hot as it would be when directly bolted to the Cylinder Head.

I put one on a 1G about a month ago and I just put it on straight up. It seems to work really well. The car didn't have Magnud on it withou the spacer so a back to back test was hard to do. With it on now though the manifold feels cooler that what I would expect. Sorry for the less than technical answer.

But its an answer and it works, ya i put mine in and I like it, did make the manifold bearable to touch.

i got sbr's spacer i m sure is the same thing .
i install it on my last "built" didnt meassure temps before or after so cant answer that but hey every lil helps im sure is more of the manifold taking longer to get to temp that i benefit from .
im intersted on this can somebody help me test this.-- checking temps on a stock gasket and type the results ill do the same tomorrow
lets set the test letting the car idle for 20min then check temp just to start,i think it would be good info for later look ups on the subject sounds good???

I have a Magnus and the gasket, NO it does not work.... Why you ask? well because to truely get it to work, you must block off the FIAV stuff with a piece of aluminum or gasket and no longer run coolant through the throttle body... The manifold will get just as hot as before if you continue to run the factory coolant lines through the stock throttle body... If you use a FIAV block off plate from JMF or something then it will lower your intake manifold air temperature and the temperature of the manifold itself....This is because there is no heat barrier gasket between the TB and the Intake manifold so it defeats the purpose of buying this gasket because it stays just as hot... The only real good thing about this gasket, is that it is reuseable and it does not need copper sealant spray on it...

i have the coolant lines disconnected, entire lower tb and egr blocked .
any body wants to waste some time and do a real test ?

I bought it for the same reason as you, why not? I however have only been able to have my car idle, no driving for me. However it holds boost past 25psi during a boost leask test!

I know this is an old thread, but i am switching from a 2g magnus to a 1g magnus, can i use my 2g heat barrier gasket( what do i need to do, make a hole bigger) or just buy a 1g one.

thanks

They are different you must likly going to have to buy a new one. I'm not sure about drilling the holes bigger i dont think that would work. If you do it and it doesnt work its a pain in the butt to take out and reinstall a new one.

How do these compare to the Hondata gaskets? I need to pick one up for my EVO III manifold, but I'm looking at like $50+ shipping. If this is the same thing only cheaper, then I'll just pick one of these up instead.

I would stick with the 2g gasket. Thats what you have correct??? They are different part # for each 90-94/95-99/VIII-IX (magnus). Not sure about the EVOIII. I will research a little more. OEM gaskets fit 90-99.

I know this is an old thread, but i am switching from a 2g magnus to a 1g magnus, can i use my 2g heat barrier gasket( what do i need to do, make a hole bigger) or just buy a 1g one.

thanks
No, you won't be able to make it work. You'll definitely have to buy one for a 1G.

the actual SBR heat barrier (just like the magnus) is softer and will hold up to higher temps. I have one and it seals perfect straight up only takes 12 ft/lb to seal

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back