The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Do these plugs look right?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony Yacullo

Proven Member
Aug 20, 2014
Reseda, California
I am in the process of maintence, just bought the car it was one owner and in great condition. I am not sure if there has been any work done on it, but I just did the timing belt. Anyways I am having a problem when I give WoT in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th it has trouble getting up in speed. It's almost like something is holding it back than releases. I was thinking it needs new plugs so I just took of the cover and saw the plugs I've seen other engine bays and my plugs don't see right.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 119
I see no plugs, i see plug wires. Did you do a boost leak test yet? Did this problem exist before you replaced the timing belt.

What looks funny about them. They look a little long, but nothing out of place. I would do a boost leak test than throw a new set of bpr7es pluts in there.

Try some ngk bpr6es spark plugs if your closer to stock or if your upgraded try colder plugs ngk bpr7es. Also are you referring to breaking up on wot or more of a lag. Check the turbo but mainly you need to do a boost leak test. A simple leak can cause all kinds of little problems.

Plug wires are to lay down flat in that area and are supposed to follow the arrow markings on the head for a reason: to eliminate crossfiring.

Belt timing correct, for the loss of power thing almost sounds like an off-time belt.

Okay I will first do the new plugs, and I got an oom reader to test the wires and coils. If they are bad I will replace, and will starting building the boost leak tester. Question I got BRP6EKN plugs, I know it not optimal but about all I could get.

Did you re check the timing marks and belt tension after rotating 6 times? And you have to be more specific if we are gonna be able to help thru the internet.

Last edited:
Did you re check the timing marks and belt tension after rotating 6 times? And you have to be more specific if we are gonna be able to help thru the internet. It's a lot easier in person, but I have done experience with diag.
Well TBH, I haven't I mechanic did the timing belt. I am at college so my tools are somewhat limited. But the problem was there before the timing belt change.

Okay I will first do the new plugs, and I got an oom reader to test the wires and coils. If they are bad I will replace, and will starting building the boost leak tester. Question I got BRP6EKN plugs, I know it not optimal but about all I could get.

Those plugs are no good, in fact one of the worst choices that you could make. Take them back and get some copper single electrode plugs.

Ok, so judging by your o.p. you have a power loss? There are many things that can cause this including an exhaust leak pre turbo, plugged cat, clogged fuel filter , filter sock or injectors. Weak spark, low compression, and def a boost leak LOL. I bet you will find at least one leak. T/b shaft seals, inj seals, I/m gasket etc. Use soapy water to spot hard to hear or find ones.

BPR6EKN = Bosch+4 POS plugs.

Poor excuse to try to get more spark out.

Remember, or heard of those horrible Pulstar, and Splitfire plugs?

I'm doing the side gap method on some AUTOLite 63 plugs and so far, excellent results.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back