The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Do I need an AFPR with Evo X fuel pump?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlanZero

Proven Member
Aug 13, 2013
Easton, Pennsylvania
I know the afpr with a wally 255 is a dead horse topic, but I can't find any answers regarding an evo X fuel pump. The X pump runs approximately 220lph from what I've gathered (there's tons of info on the evo 8/9 pumps, not so much for the X), and I've had one in the car for over a year.

I will be installing rc 550cc injectors and a safc shortly, as well as rewiring the evo pump. According to my wideband, I'm running a little rich at cruise and wot, but I'm usually at 14.9 at idle, and I thought the fpr issues are usually prevalent at idle.

I'd rather upgrade the fpr if needed when I'm installing injectors instead of realizing later I should have. I don't plan on installing bigger injectors or pump later. I'm also looking for input from guys who have the ability to monitor their fpr instead of just claiming they've been running a rewired 255 for years with no problems.

I would say most likely you do and this is evidenced by your rich condition. You don't have to be rich to buy an afpr (pun intended) so might as well get one.

I ran a 255 for a few months on one 2g AWD with no issues other than having to drill out the siphon. And then another 2g AWD I had overran so bad at idle it blew smoke. This is one of things that works sometimes and doesn't sometimes.

an evo 9 pump is basically a 205 LPH and the X is a bit more then that from previous research I have done when i went to go the evo 9 pump route, so ideally YES you want an AFPR to be safe but others have been ok with out it, normally the 190 is the stock fpr's limit safely though, maybe consider getting an evo fpr and adapting it some how to get the best and safe way from the upgrade

I actually considered an evo fpr back when I first put the pump in. I think it's a direct swap, I can't remember now. But, if I'm going through all that I may as well spend a little more on a used afpr with an actual gauge.

Any recommendations on afprs? Any fitment issues on a stock 2g rail with any particular brand? There's a fuel lab afpr with gauge on classifieds for $130 I'm considering. Thanks in advance!

all of them mainly remote mount it anyway to it should be ok with the stock fuel rail, some after markets like mine will foul the timing cover a bit but as long a it has all the adaptors then the fuel labs are good,

Although I would never use an eBay afpr, if I buy a used decent brand without lines and such, I was considering buying an eBay one for the lines, fittings and maybe gauge. I've used eBay ss braided lines with success, but the gauge may be a little iffy. I just don't see how a gauge can cost much when there's little to it. Just like a $10 sunpro boost gauge. It works. Any input? Thanks

Last edited:
I know the afpr with a wally 255 is a dead horse topic, but I can't find any answers regarding an evo X fuel pump. The X pump runs approximately 220lph from what I've gathered (there's tons of info on the evo 8/9 pumps, not so much for the X)

AMS Performance - Evo X Fuel Pump Test

It's a 250lph at 43psi base fuel psi and running that through a 20yr old stock fpr I'd say it's only a matter of time before you get overrun.

Any recommendations on afprs? Any fitment issues on a stock 2g rail with any particular brand? There's a fuel lab afpr with gauge on classifieds for $130 I'm considering. Thanks in advance!

Fuelab makes really good stuff I've never had a complaint with any of their regulators. Extreme psi and MAP sell fuel hose kits to adapt the AFPR to the stock DSM fuel lines, the MAP kit is a little cheaper than E-PSI iirc.

Personally, I prefer AN swivel fittings over push lock (I've never been able to get the connection at the back of the push lock fittings to seal properly) and Proclassic hose over SS braided because it's a helluva lot easier to work with.It's all personal preference though.

Also, instead of buying a "kit" like that you'd probably save money piecing the "kit" together yourself off of Jegs or Summit and ordering the AFPR separate from a supporting vendor. That way you can get the fittings in the color you want, the amount you need (a lot of kits you end up with unused fittings), and with the hose you want, and the brand/color of AFPR you want too.

I just wanted to update this thread quick. After trying to piece together a kit for less, I still wound up going with the aem kit from map. I have very few new parts on my cars, but for the price of a used afpr I figured I'd spend the little extra $ for new and not have to worry, plus have a warranty.

Ironically, after ordering, I really started paying attention to my wideband and today for the first time my car is running at 10.9 at wot. Before, I would always max out the aem gauge. idle and cruise is about 14.9. The temp is almost exactly the same as yesterday. Here's the kicker, the ONLY thing I did since yesterday was upgrade my air filter from 3.5 to 4.5". Does that even make sense? I didnt even remove the intake, just swapped filters/adaptors. The old filter wasn't even old, like 3 months.

So ideally I prob would be fine with the evo pump (not rewired) and 550s. But all the parts are here for a pump rewire and the afprs on the way. Guess I'll still do it all for piece of mind. Hilarious.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back