The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G DIY Pneumatic hood lift support

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Here is a cost friendly alternative solution to getting rid of the OEM prop rod (or jack handle if you happen to be that gangster) All of the parts can be picked from your local salvage yard, Price was just under $20 for everything needed.
Now… to get you on your way to rocking those sick looking hood struts.

Parts Needed:

Qty:------------------------------------------part:------------------------------------------------------------------
(2) --------------------- 2003 Kia optima OEM hood strut mounting brackets
(2) --------------------- Screw-in ball sockets. (10mm pivot ball dia. With a 8x1.25 thread size and pitch)
(2) --------------------- Crown Victoria hood struts. (Sachs/Stabilus) part number: SG404024)
(2) --------------------- Plastic ball socket mounting clips, (found on the end of the OEM Kia hood struts)

Tools Needed:
Bench vise, (not 100% necessary but it sure does Make things easier)
10mm deep-well socket
12mm deep-well socket
Hack saw, or whatever you prefer to precisely cut metal
Metal file or grinder/wire wheel to round the sharp edges
Drill
17/64" drill bit
5/16" drill bit
8x1.25 tap

Hood strut specs:

Compressed Length:
-
8.583 Inch or (218mm)
Extended Length:- 13.386 Inch or (340mm)
Travel Length:- 4.803 Inch or (122mm)
Lower Mount Type:- 8mm Ball Socket
Upper Mount Type:- 10mm Ball Socket with 16* angle <-- If you're ordering custom Pound struts the angle is important
Rod Dia:- 0.314 Inch or (7.97mm)
Tube Dia:- 0.708 Inch or (17.98mm)
Force:- 128lbs

I would of liked to of found lift supports closer to 80-110lbs (each) range for the OEM hood weight. The 128lb crown vic. lift support was the closest i could find at the local parts store. If the 128 lb lift force is something you're concerned about, (using the specs i've provided above) You can order custom LB lift supports from companies such as "lift support depot".

The combined force of 256 lbs on a new set Sachs/Stabilus PN: SG404024 might be a bit excessive, When I close my hood there is a slight bend at the hood/ mounting bracket, area closest to the windshield until the peak lift force of the struts is overcome, This is ONLY an issue as you close the hood, The long term effects/problems are still unknown)
My struts are also brand new, so keep in mind. This might be less of an issue with a used set of salvage yard struts.

I've been testing this for about a week now, The hood, lift supports & brackets have approximately 50 lift and close cycles on them, so far the 128lb lift supports haven't caused any damage to the hood and the brackets have held great.
I'll keep this updated if any issues of concern arise.

WARNING: you will damage a carbon fiber hood with 80-128lb(each) lift supports.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The picture on the left is what the kia bracket looks like un-hacked, The picture on the right is what the bracket should look like after you're finished.

You'll need to press out the locating pin on the OEM kia bracket. I used a 4mm hex allen socket on the cramped side and a 8mm socket on the back, put it in the vise, lined it up closing it slowly, once everything was centered I proceeded to press it out.
For those of you that would like to save some time (and or don't have a vise) you can probably just drill out the locating pin with the 5/16" drill bit.

[/URL]
To bend the bracket, I clamped the side of the bracket with the mounting holes in the vise and used a pry bar to bend it upward, you'll need to be carefull NOT to pry on the back side of the ball socket or there is a good change you can push the ball socket out or unsettle it making it lose its rigidity.

The two images above show the differences between the 10mm and 8mm ball socket retaining clips, used between the kia lift support and the Crown Victoria lift support, you'll need remove the 8mm retaining clip from the crown vic strut and replace it with the 10mm retaining clip from the kia strut.
To remove the clips from the gas strut while you're at the junkyard, leave the Pneumatic cylinder side clipped into the ball socket on the car, with you hands simply turn the Pneumatic cylinder counter-clockwise, aka lefty loosey.

The silver lower ball socket (on the fender), shown on my car is not off a kia. Unfortunately, I can't remember what car i snagged that off of. I liked that it was flagged so i used it.

[URL=http://s58.photobucket.com/user/dchilds1984/media/how%20to%20write%20up/1450978824679.jpg.html]
[/URL]

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back