Disabling the Immobilizer...

Posted by jforward5, Mar 24, 2010
Newbie Forum - Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum.

1. jforward5

jforward5 Probationary Member

Houston, Texas
    Ok I have been looking every where for the answer to my question and have not found anything about this. Let me explain:

I have a 2002 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally. I am doing a 4g64 engine swap in it. I am having trouble finding the evo 8 ECU at a price I can afford right now, and yes I know the evo 8 ECU is the most tunable, easiest to disable the immobilizer in. But I am choosing to use the 2001 Eclipse ECU since I was able to get it for $100. So I am searching high and low for information on how to "Delete" or "Disable" the immobilizer from the ECU. The other option I was interested in attempting but don't know if it would work or is worth trying is to flash my Lancer ECU with the image from an Evo 8 ECU.... But I think I already know the answer to that, I don't think it would work.

So I am asking these questions here since I heard that you guys are the Pro's when it comes to Mitsubishi performance and mods...

So any ideas??
  2. GSXSixteenG

GSXSixteenG Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    Buffalo, New_York
    I'm not sure if the 01 eclipse ECU is flashable but the 98/99 Eclipse ECUs are flashable and might be a better option. Are you swapping harness and all? What year is the 4g64 from?
  3. jforward5

Houston, Texas
    I have heard that the 01 is flashable, but not too sure since I'm a newbie to ECU stuff. The engine will be from 00-05 eclipse. I won't be switching the harness unless I see a reason to. All the plugs on the car plug into the same places on the 01 ECU. I will be swaping some connectors on the engine and tranny.

If I use a 98/99 ECU does that offer more tunablilty? also did that model come without an immobilizer?
  4. GSXSixteenG

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    Buffalo, New_York
    To my knowledge, there is no immobilizer for the 2g's. Unless mine has already been bypassed, I've never had any special key made when making back up keys. Here's a page talking about the 98/99 ECUs, it does allow quite a bit of tunability.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/tun...first-flashed-dsm-ecu-98-99-flashing-faq.html
  5. jforward5

Houston, Texas
    If I were to get that ECU does it matter if it is from a M/T or can it be from an A/T car?
  6. GSXSixteenG

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    Buffalo, New_York
    ECUs:

These are DSM ECUs that are Flashable.
    1998 -> 7/97-5/98 MD346675(FWD) and MD346676(AWD)
    1999 -> 6/98-4/99 MD359402(FWD) and MD359403(AWD)

These are the part numbers your looking for if you pick up a 98/99 ecu.
  7. jforward5

Houston, Texas
    So im guessing that it doesn't matter if it is from a Manual Tranny car or an Automatic Tranny car....

Thank you for your help GSXSixteenG!