Disabling the Immobilizer...

Posted by jforward5, Mar 24, 2010
Newbie Forum - Beginner DSM modification questions and discussions. Common, repetitive, and general discussions will get dumped here from other tech forums. Unless you're a Probationary member you shouldn't post threads here.

1. jforward5

jforward5 Probationary Member

Houston, Texas
    Ok I have been looking every where for the answer to my question and have not found anything about this. Let me explain:

I have a 2002 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally. I am doing a 4g64 engine swap in it. I am having trouble finding the evo 8 ECU at a price I can afford right now, and yes I know the evo 8 ECU is the most tunable, easiest to disable the immobilizer in. But I am choosing to use the 2001 Eclipse ECU since I was able to get it for $100. So I am searching high and low for information on how to "Delete" or "Disable" the immobilizer from the ECU. The other option I was interested in attempting but don't know if it would work or is worth trying is to flash my Lancer ECU with the image from an Evo 8 ECU.... But I think I already know the answer to that, I don't think it would work.

So I am asking these questions here since I heard that you guys are the Pro's when it comes to Mitsubishi performance and mods...

So any ideas??
  2. GSXSixteenG

GSXSixteenG Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Buffalo, New_York
    I'm not sure if the 01 eclipse ECU is flashable but the 98/99 Eclipse ECUs are flashable and might be a better option. Are you swapping harness and all? What year is the 4g64 from?
  3. jforward5

Houston, Texas
    I have heard that the 01 is flashable, but not too sure since I'm a newbie to ECU stuff. The engine will be from 00-05 eclipse. I won't be switching the harness unless I see a reason to. All the plugs on the car plug into the same places on the 01 ECU. I will be swaping some connectors on the engine and tranny.

If I use a 98/99 ECU does that offer more tunablilty? also did that model come without an immobilizer?
  4. GSXSixteenG

DSM Profiles:
    Buffalo, New_York
    To my knowledge, there is no immobilizer for the 2g's. Unless mine has already been bypassed, I've never had any special key made when making back up keys. Here's a page talking about the 98/99 ECUs, it does allow quite a bit of tunability.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/tun...first-flashed-dsm-ecu-98-99-flashing-faq.html
  5. jforward5

Houston, Texas
    If I were to get that ECU does it matter if it is from a M/T or can it be from an A/T car?
  6. GSXSixteenG

DSM Profiles:
    Buffalo, New_York
    ECUs:

These are DSM ECUs that are Flashable.
    1998 -> 7/97-5/98 MD346675(FWD) and MD346676(AWD)
    1999 -> 6/98-4/99 MD359402(FWD) and MD359403(AWD)

These are the part numbers your looking for if you pick up a 98/99 ecu.
  7. jforward5

Houston, Texas
    So im guessing that it doesn't matter if it is from a Manual Tranny car or an Automatic Tranny car....

Thank you for your help GSXSixteenG!