The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Differences in the 420a and GST/GSX chassis

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

evileclipse98

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 14, 2009
Lake Village, Arkansas
Besides the engine and tranny, what are the differences in the chassis of a rs/gs and a gst/gsx? I mean primarily the engine bay. Thanks.

Everything is switched to the other side. The engine sits on the driver side in the 4G63. The engine sits on the passenger side in the 420a. Hope that helps.

Eh, maybe, don't know. I know the engine/tranny is opposite but what else? Engine cradles, mounts, cables, wiring, instrument cluster. Also, is insurance much higher on a gst/gsx than a rs/gs? Let me know.

Eh, maybe, don't know. I know the engine/tranny is opposite but what else? Engine cradles, mounts, cables, wiring, instrument cluster. Also, is insurance much higher on a gst/gsx than a rs/gs? Let me know.

Well if you are thinking about the engine swap, I suggest you use the Evo 8 engine since it will fit the current motor mount spots on the RS and GS. The wiring is completely different as well. The GST and GSX use more sensor and wires so you will need the wiring harness. Insurance for turbo cars are a bit higher then it is on non turbo cars.

insurance should be the same. they count the Eclipse as a sports car. if you buy a Tsi it is cheaper cause its in a different insurance bracket (or whatever the damn insurance term for it is). and if you get a Laser RS insurance is even cheaper. they look at the car more than the engine. eclipses are higher risk, according to how they calculate that stuff....basically more of them on the road than the Talon or Laser so they have more accidents. higher risk due to higher collision, thefts and such than the other cars. funny how its the same car but insurance is cheaper for he less common ones

I saw your thread about buying a junk 2g and hating on the 4g63 and crankwalk. (I was just giving cliff notes to that thread and not trying to start a pointless internet fight). Putting a 420A into a GSX would cost a lot more than building a 6-bolt and putting that in. If you're worried about crankwalking a 7-bolt first look at your power goals for the car and see what clutch would be needed to put that power to the wheels. If you need a clutch to hold 350+whp, build a 6-bolt and be done with it. It wouldn't be much more than building up the 7-bolt. But putting a 420A or EVO 8 engine into an AWD car that has the mounts for the engine and trans in the opposite locations would cost big bucks in fabrication.

insurance should be the same. they count the Eclipse as a sports car. if you buy a Tsi it is cheaper cause its in a different insurance bracket (or whatever the damn insurance term for it is). and if you get a Laser RS insurance is even cheaper. they look at the car more than the engine. eclipses are higher risk, according to how they calculate that stuff....basically more of them on the road than the Talon or Laser so they have more accidents. higher risk due to higher collision, thefts and such than the other cars. funny how its the same car but insurance is cheaper for he less common ones

Both of my insurance prices for my cars are different. Only by like $5 though. I have a GST and GS.

I saw your thread about buying a junk 2g and hating on the 4g63 and crankwalk. (I was just giving cliff notes to that thread and not trying to start a pointless internet fight). Putting a 420A into a GSX would cost a lot more than building a 6-bolt and putting that in. If you're worried about crankwalking a 7-bolt first look at your power goals for the car and see what clutch would be needed to put that power to the wheels. If you need a clutch to hold 350+whp, build a 6-bolt and be done with it. It wouldn't be much more than building up the 7-bolt. But putting a 420A or EVO 8 engine into an AWD car that has the mounts for the engine and trans in the opposite locations would cost big bucks in fabrication.

Well the Evo 8 engine swap I was talking about was meant to for the GS or RS engine swap. No point in putting it in a AWD since it already has a 4G63 in it. :D

Yeah, I was pretty angry about all the crankwalk talk earlier when I made that post. I don't know whether to keep the 98 gsx auto or sell it and get a GS. The senarios: keep the 98 gsx, build a 6-bolt and swap to a manual tranny or sell it and get a GS and build up the 420a with a manual tranny. My deal is, I just can't risk the crankwalk of the 7bolt engine, I just can't afford it. Chime in, opinions welcome.

Well you can just build a 6 bolt as stated earlier and then convert it to a manual while the engine and tranny are out of the car. If you want to get a RS/GS you can usually find them a bit cheaper then a GST or GSX and you can sell your GSX and build the RS/GS up. If you are looking into doing the Evo engine swap you will most likely spend 3k-4k in parts if you want it as a AWD, or you can probably get the engine and tranny for like $2500 or so for a FWD. That would work if you can find a RS or GS manual shell for like 500 or so.

How much, typically, does it cost to convert to a 6-bolt? Curiousity.......I do already have a 4g63 7-bolt to take from.

Well the parts are a bit different. It would probably be best to sell the engine and buy a 6 bolt or build one up yourself. The price can range from $600-$1000 depending on how you plan on building it.

Thanks. I'll think about it. Cool, maybe a ray of hope. By the way I meant to ask earlier, how fast is a stock gs/rs compared to a stock gst/gsx?

Non turbo RS/GS has better compression then a non turbo GST/GSX. So I would go with the RS/GS stock for stock.

Well it varies with the times of each. As far as the weight, the RS/GS are a bit lighter then the GST and ESPECIALLY the GSX. Actually they are about 300lbs lighter then the GSX.

God, these cars are damn heavy! My 98 Neon R/T weighs much less than these cars! I just didn't think they weighed soooo much! No wonder the 2 guys in the town I work in lost so bad to my mildly built R/T in their stock GST's. My Neon is pretty damn stout for a N/A 2 liter. My GSX, if I keep it, will probably go on a awd to fwd diet anyway. It would just cost too much to keep and convert it from auto to manual. I may just go ahead and list it on ebay, just to see if I can get a little for it to go towards a GS or something different. If I can't get jack for it, I'll keep it and go 6bolt. Thank god for reserve prices on ebay!

Or you can try locally on craigslist and trade it for a RS/GS with them putting some cash on top. You will def get more cash for the GSX then a RS/GS any day.

The only problem is the GSX needs a transfer case and the engine worked on. I don't know what exactly is wrong with the engine but I would hate to tear it apart just to try and sell it. I have no idea what to do! I just looked at the GSX in my backyard and damn, that car looks good. I don't know. Probably think about it and contemplate it over and over untill I reach a boiling point. :confused::confused: I appreciate the responses everyone. Thanks.:thumb:

Non turbo RS/GS has better compression then a non turbo GST/GSX. So I would go with the RS/GS stock for stock.

No such thing as a non turbo GST or GSX. The GST is FWD turbo and the GSX is all wheel drive turbo. A RS or GS might have 130hp (can't remember exactly) and a GST or GSX will have 195hp. The 4g63 is meant to be a turbo engine where as the 420A is not. The 4g63 has a much better aftermarket scene. Build a 6 bolt, swap it in, enjoy all wheel drive traction for the 1/4 mile. Dun. Unless you're one of those guys that thinks going from a 55mph roll is a "race". Then I'd sell the GSX and get a GST. Either way, don't get a GS or RS to build up. Not a lot of options for aftermarket performance.

There are plenty of 6 bolt swap threads. Research and research some more. Swap in the 6 bolt to the GSX and be done with it. If you plan to use it for mainly the drag strip I'd even leave it auto.

No such thing as a non turbo GST or GSX. The GST is FWD turbo and the GSX is all wheel drive turbo. A RS or GS might have 130hp (can't remember exactly) and a GST or GSX will have 195hp. The 4g63 is meant to be a turbo engine where as the 420A is not. The 4g63 has a much better aftermarket scene. Build a 6 bolt, swap it in, enjoy all wheel drive traction for the 1/4 mile. Dun. Unless you're one of those guys that thinks going from a 55mph roll is a "race". Then I'd sell the GSX and get a GST. Either way, don't get a GS or RS to build up. Not a lot of options for aftermarket performance.

There are plenty of 6 bolt swap threads. Research and research some more. Swap in the 6 bolt to the GSX and be done with it. If you plan to use it for mainly the drag strip I'd even leave it auto.

Um yes there is. One that doesn't have a turbo installed in it, and don't say it can't be because I've seen it done. Where you been at bro? Also RS/GS has 140hp stock.

Besides it's his choice on what to do with the car, not your place to tell him what car not to buy and build up. 420a has enough aftermarket performance to get what you need out of it. Judging by your post, I wonder if you've even owned a 420a... :confused:

Um yes there is. One that doesn't have a turbo installed in it, and don't say it can't be because I've seen it done. Where you been at bro? Also RS/GS has 140hp stock.

Judging by your post, I wonder if you've even owned a 420a... :confused:

Well yeah, if you take the turbo off of a turbo engine that has lower compression (because it was built for turbo charging) chances are it'll have less hp than a higher compression engine. Bro. 130hp, 140hp... I said I couldn't remember exactly but I was close. To clarify, all GST's and GSX's came from the factory turbo charged with 195hp. Can a 4g63T engine be made N/A, yes. Why someone would want to take the turbo off is their business. Bro.

And no, I never have owned a 420A. I like to make a lot of horsepower easily so I didn't waste my time and went straight to the 4g63T. But, I do think a 420A build is impressive because it's not something done very often.

OK. I see where this is going and I'm not going to get drawn into some pointless internet brawl.

To the original poster. The important things to look at are... What is your budget? What are your hp goals? What do you want to use the car for? If the car is in good condition, and you have 1500-2000 to throw at it, I say do a 6 bolt swap with forged internals. I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I just bought a high mileage 99 GSX that runs great right now... But I plan to build a 6 bolt short block in the near future just in case the 7 bolt goes bad. But, think about the 3 question I asked above. That'll help detemine the best route to go.:thumb:

Well yeah, if you take the turbo off of a turbo engine that has lower compression (because it was built for turbo charging) chances are it'll have less hp than a higher compression engine. Bro. 130hp, 140hp... I said I couldn't remember exactly but I was close. To clarify, all GST's and GSX's came from the factory turbo charged with 195hp. Can a 4g63T engine be made N/A, yes. Why someone would want to take the turbo off is their business. Bro.

And no, I never have owned a 420A. I like to make a lot of horsepower easily so I didn't waste my time and went straight to the 4g63T. But, I do think a 420A build is impressive because it's not something done very often.

OK. I see where this is going and I'm not going to get drawn into some pointless internet brawl.

To the original poster. The important things to look at are... What is your budget? What are your hp goals? What do you want to use the car for? If the car is in good condition, and you have 1500-2000 to throw at it, I say do a 6 bolt swap with forged internals. I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I just bought a high mileage 99 GSX that runs great right now... But I plan to build a 6 bolt short block in the near future just in case the 7 bolt goes bad. But, think about the 3 question I asked above. That'll help detemine the best route to go.:thumb:

195hp? LOL where are you getting your info? They came with 210hp turbocharged. Please don't post on threads trying to act like you know what your are talking about and give incorrect info. What you trying to do because you're not really helping...

BTW sarcasm can be left at the door, all was well before you came in given incorrect info, begone..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back