The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

depressing clutch activates starter motor when engine is running

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12hayden12

Probationary Member
Jan 10, 2013
Medicine Hat, AB_Canada
hey hopefully I can explain my situation in a way that makes sense because I need help! when I start my car and keep holding the clutch pedal down the starter motor keeps rotating, even though I let go of the key and let it rest in the ON position. when I release the clutch the starter motor is deactivated. any time I push the clutch pedal down while the car is running, the starter motor will once again engage and start making a painful grinding noise. I know it is not a problem with the clutch because I tried putting it into gear and it worked perfectly.
it is as if the key is being held in the START position when it actually isn't. I would appreciate if you guys could help me out thanks!

title correction. compressing* clutch activates...

It's a safty switch behind the clutch pedal arm that allows the car to start when the clutch is depressed. Your problem sounds similar to this:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/dri...nate-when-clutch-depressed.html#post153064201
There are some reference pics in there for you to look at.

ok I think I found it. you are suggesting I unplug it then try to start the car?

I doubt it's the ignition switch, so I would look at the starter relay.

is the starter relay attached to a relay box containing 1 other relay or would it be on a relay box with 2 other relays? im having troubles determining which group of relays would contain the starter relay

Yes, just make sure you're in neutral when you start it.

ok I unplugged the switch at the top of the clutch pedal and started the car. starts just fine but once again when the clutch pedal is pushed down the starter motor grinds away.

what would cause this to happen? could my starter relay be dirty and stuck in the ON position? if my starter relay was stuck would that cause my starter motor to activate every time I push the clutch in?

I don't know if i would consider it the same problem as yours but mine would grind when i turned it on till i let go of the clutch then it wouldn't again till next time i turned it on, i took my car to a mechanic and he just shimmied a washer in there and it fixed my problem . kinda ghetto but it worked i guess? haha

what would cause this to happen? could my starter relay be dirty and stuck in the ON position? if my starter relay was stuck would that cause my starter motor to activate every time I push the clutch in?

Yes!

ok I unplugged the switch at the top of the clutch pedal and started the car. starts just fine but once again when the clutch pedal is pushed down the starter motor grinds away.

The reason unplugging the clutch switch didn't make you unable to start your car, is because you unplugged the wrong switch. That switch is for the cruise cut.

Quick search says this about the relay location:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-miscellaneous/217951-how-diagnose-no-start.html

"4. When you turn the key, do you hear the starter click? If not, time to check it. Refer to FSM for complete testing procedure. Check the starter relay first. On a 1g, this is located under the dash, to the immediate left of the steering column. There are three relays down there – the starter relay is the one in the middle. With KOEO and clutch depressed, battery voltage should be present at the relay. On a 2g, the starter relay is located near the radio."

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if i would consider it the same problem as yours but mine would grind when i turned it on till i let go of the clutch then it wouldn't again till next time i turned it on, i took my car to a mechanic and he just shimmied a washer in there and it fixed my problem . kinda ghetto but it worked i guess? haha

shimmed a washer where?

I don't remember if it was before the teeth or after.. I wanna say above the teeth inside the housing

Yes!

The reason unplugging the clutch switch didn't make you unable to start your car, is because you unplugged the wrong switch. That switch is for the cruise cut.

Quick search says this about the relay location:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-miscellaneous/217951-how-diagnose-no-start.html

"4. When you turn the key, do you hear the starter click? If not, time to check it. Refer to FSM for complete testing procedure. Check the starter relay first. On a 1g, this is located under the dash, to the immediate left of the steering column. There are three relays down there – the starter relay is the one in the middle. With KOEO and clutch depressed, battery voltage should be present at the relay. On a 2g, the starter relay is located near the radio."

Thanks a lot! Ill try testing it with a multimeter

KOEO

I forgot ask what does this mean? Is this when the key is turned all the way to the right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure its the starter? So when you start the car with the clutch pushed in there is no noise? But when you let it out you here a loud noise? I dont see how that could be possible its the starter more then likely to me I would think your throw out bearing is bad and when there is no tension on the bearings it screams like the starter hit the flywheel.

Are you sure its the starter? So when you start the car with the clutch pushed in there is no noise? But when you let it out you here a loud noise? I dont see how that could be possible its the starter more then likely to me I would think your throw out bearing is bad and when there is no tension on the bearings it screams like the starter hit the flywheel.

Ya its deffinately the starter. I reached down and put my hand on the motor and when i had somebody push the clutch in i could feel it vibrate and grind.

Oh and i swapped the starter relay with the one in my brothers laser and the problem was not solved. Maybe the solenoid on the starter motor is dirty and stuck?

Take off the dust plate to see if the flywheel is damage in any way. If it is the starter than you will see damage to the gears/teeth of the flywheel. If not, try to see if there is any play in the crank. If not that either then I guess it could be the throw out bearing or a damage clutch :idontknow:

So it's the ignition switch.

Im not too sure about that. The car only starts when i turn the key to START. If i have the key turn to ON and push the clutch in, it does not start so i think the ignition switch is functioning correctly.

Im not too sure about that. The car only starts when i turn the key to START. If i have the key turn to ON and push the clutch in, it does not start so i think the ignition switch is functioning correctly.

Oh, well that is different. When you said it cranks the starter anytime the engine is running, I just assumed that meant anytime the key is on run as well. Does it have a remote start, or any funky wiring going on?

Before you go any further, start the car, and unplug the small wire from the starter, then press the clutch and see if the noise is gone.

Oh, well that is different. When you said it cranks the starter anytime the engine is running, I just assumed that meant anytime the key is on run as well. Does it have a remote start, or any funky wiring going on?

Before you go any further, start the car, and unplug the small wire from the starter, then press the clutch and see if the noise is gone.

The starter motor spins when engine is on, key is on run, and clutch is pushed in. It only does this when engine is on. If the engine is off and they key is on run pushing in the clutch does not turn the starter on. So you are suggesting i unplug the wire that operates the starter's solenoid? I assume this is to check if the solenoid is stuck making a closed circuit.

This is to check that it's really the starter making the noise, or a busted release bearing. If you unplug the spade connector from the starter with the engine running, then push the clutch, the starter should not be able to engage.

This is to check that it's really the starter making the noise, or a busted release bearing. If you unplug the spade connector from the starter with the engine running, then push the clutch, the starter should not be able to engage.

Oh im 100% sure its the starter. I put my hand on the starter while my car was running. When the clutch wasnt pushed in i could not feel the starter vibrate and when i had someone push the clutch down i could feel the motor turn on and i could feel the vibrations of it grindin on the flywheel

So i pulled the starter motor and tested it. It only turns on when there is power to the solenoid. So the starter solenoid is fine, and the starter relay is fine. I think the ignition switch is fine too because the car will ONLY START WHEN THE KEY IS TURNED TO START. I dont know what is going on but i am 100 percent sure that the noise i hear when i push the clutch diwn is my starter. Ideas?

UPDATE: put the starter back in because it was functioning perfectly. I unplugged the clutch switch before starting my car and i was able to start the car without pushing the clutch. When it was running without the clutch switch being plugged in, pushing the clutch in did not turn on the motor. When i turned off the car, the starter motor started even though the car was off. The motor only stopped when i plugged the switch back in. Tried startig the car with the switch plugged in. Once again pushing the clutch in activated the starter motor. Unplugging the switch once the car is on activates the starter motor.
Any ideas?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back