The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Dash Gauges not working

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

0eclipsegst0

Probationary Member
May 28, 2008
Destin, Florida
My factory gauges arent working. The only light that works on them is the high beam light but other than that nothing the needles dont move and the warning lights dont turn on. None of the fuses are blown. Whoever owned the car before me took out a lot of stuff that he wired in but I went through the harness and everything looks like it was connected back the way it was supposed to go.
The car itself starts and drives, headlights and radio work etc.
Does anyone know what might cause this or maybe a wire(s) I can tap into to see if the gauges are getting power/ground?

I checked my switches again and my turn signals and hazards arent working the light in my cruise control button doesnt turn on the light in my window defroster button doesnt turn on and my tweeters dont work.
Radio, 6x9s, and door speakers work, sunroof and windows open, TT and SAFC work, head/taillighs work.

Might be helpful if we knew what kind of car we're dealing with??:D

On my 2G, I had an intermittent guage issue where sometimes all the guages would just stop working for a few seconds & then resume normal operation - it turned out to be a bad connection at the harness that connected to the back of the cluster . . . :talon:

Sounds like your dimmer switch is bad, go to a junk yard had the same problem twice. no dash lights. changed that out bingo problem over. i try to keep extras, pm me for more info i think i could help.

Sorry, its a 1995 talon tsi. The dimmer switch is good I have a couple and the problem is there with both. The problem isnt just the dash lights. The gauges dont work at all.
TALONTRAX where is the plug that you are talking about? Maybe mine is unplugged. I let the car idle for about 10 min and the gauges never turned on.

Check all fuses and see from there. I had this problem on my 1G and check my brake light switch under the dash and found out it quite on me. Replaced it and all my lights worked fine. switch cost me 55$.

If tach, oil, water, fuel gauges don't work at all it could very well be a bad cluster. Make sure none of the pins are pulled out behind the cluster where the connector in the dash is.

All of my fuses are good.
BleedingSilver are you talking about the three plugs that go into the gauges?

Yes, make sure the plugs that go into the back of the cluster don't have any metal tabs that are bent or distorted or pulled out of there connector so they won't make any contact. Do you have any wiring diagrams to show where the cluster gets its main power from.

My factory gauges arent working. The only light that works on them is the high beam light but other than that nothing the needles dont move and the warning lights dont turn on. None of the fuses are blown. Whoever owned the car before me took out a lot of stuff that he wired in but I went through the harness and everything looks like it was connected back the way it was supposed to go.
The car itself starts and drives, headlights and radio work etc.
Does anyone know what might cause this or maybe a wire(s) I can tap into to see if the gauges are getting power/ground?

I have same problem with my 1 g .But my oil pressure and gas gauge max out ,tach and speedo do work but turn signals do work .

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back