The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Damaged rear parking brake boot

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4gfun

Supporting VIP
Dec 10, 2007
Ask Me, Virginia
I am working on the back brakes and they are such a pain in the neck. I damaged the parking brake boot when working back there. It doesn't look like an item that can be replaced individually and I think that swapping a parking brake would be was wasteful.

I am sure it will be fine for a while but I don't want rust and corrosion to get in there. I could put some good grease in there like Redline CV-2 but not sure if that is good enough for the long run and don't want to turn this into a maintenance item.

Ideas?

I would imagine that would be fine. Mine are torn off too.
Lol! Ok, won't sweat it then.

Which boot are you speaking of?

I remember a boot on the parking brake cable and a seal on the parking brake lever but I don't remember any boot on the parking brake.
Right around the terminus of the parking brake cable where it attaches to the rear brake assembly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right around the terminus of the parking brake cable where it attaches to the rear brake assembly.

Ah, the boot on the cable. One side ripped years ago and it lead to the demise of the cable. As noted the cable then rusts and eventually snaps under tension. Grease helps but it only slows the process some.

I wonder how well TPU from a 3D printer would hold up. It wouldn't be too difficult to design a split boot to fit.

In my day to day at the shop literally 80% of the cars I work on with drums or disks with integrated drum parking brakes have exposed brakes components. Adjustment window caps missing, bleeder caps gone, torn or missing parking cable boots. It never causes an issue here in Cali, But maybe in colder places it would be a good idea to address. I would think greasing it maybe yearly would be sufficient to stop rusting issues. Brakes are petty resilient. I've replaced shoes on horribly rusted out backing plates and nasty hardware. It takes a lot to stop functionality. I think you're fine.

I *think* that there are universal split boots available for this. Thought I googled it and Summit had it or something.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back