The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

Custom holset T3 & T4 turbine housings

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

who has results for a T3 .70 BEP HX35?
Wish I did...I never really got to push the .70 HX35 on anyone's car locally. Dave had one prior to the HX40, but the car was also full-weight with a tired old 6-bolt running 28psi on pump gas.

Wish I did...I never really got to push the .70 HX35 on anyone's car locally. Dave had one prior to the HX40, but the car was also full-weight with a tired old 6-bolt running 28psi on pump gas.
Haha I love listening to the exploits of talondave and justin. They are like the dynamic duo. One thing I can't figure out though, are you the Robin to his Batman, or the Morgan Freeman to his Batman? I need a wingman to manage my mods, damnit. Any volunteers?

What about the results thus far, does it seemed pretty well matched?

Haha I love listening to the exploits of talondave and justin. They are like the dynamic duo. One thing I can't figure out though, are you the Robin to his Batman, or the Morgan Freeman to his Batman? I need a wingman to manage my mods, damnit. Any volunteers?
Haven't really thought of it like that....I guess I'm the one who puts the turbos together for him and he bolts them on the car and makes it happen, so we complement each other quite well. :D

What about the results thus far, does it seemed pretty well matched?
Seems to be the best of the single-scroll housings, yes. Like I said I have no hard proof aside from Dave's old setup plus another local guy here with a stock 6-bolt running 25psi who has trapped 124.5mph so far.

I might be interested in a T4 TS housing that doesn't way a #### ton for a HX35 and 40.

I didn't like how heavy these damn things are but right now I'm looking at a 5858 and then going to a 6266 after so i figured maybe i could test these holset things.

7 blade hx35 i had tried .55 .63 .70 .82 custom and for me the .70 spool considerably fast (.82 slow it down a lot) and let me run 34 psi without dropping.

How is the .70 T3 working for you guys?

Its working great for me. I am currently replacing the HG cause I started pushing coolant. I haven't had it to the track yet with this housing, but hopefully soon. I ran the .55 .63 & .70 A/R also.

Can someone build a T3. 82 to fit a HX40?
I'm looking to pickup an HX40 in the future and I'd like to use it with either a T3 .70 that has proved itself (thanks dave) or T3 .82.

Last edited by a moderator:
So are some of you saying that you think the B.E.P. T3 open scroll .70 AR. Hx40 turbine house would out flow the Holset T3 T.S. 12cm if it were fitted to a HX40? Isn't 12cm apx. .85 AR.?

There is a 12cm2 housing for the WH1C/HX35.. but the ~5mm difference in turbine size means its not going to work on the HX40.

The smallest factory HX40 housing is 16cm2 divided T3

You could switch to the 35 turbine wheel

So are some of you saying that you think the B.E.P. T3 open scroll .70 AR. Hx40 turbine house would out flow the Holset T3 T.S. 12cm if it were fitted to a HX40? Isn't 12cm apx. .85 AR.?

You can't directly compare nozzle area to A/R

Where they take the centroid (center of cross-section used to determine "A" in A/R) to measure for "R" can change the relationship considerably.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

So nozzle area for MHI and Holset aren't directly comparable because there is no standard for where they measure. Likewise you can't do this between Garrett A/R and Holset nozzle area in square centimeters for the same reason.

Hit me up when you guys need the machining, i;LL DONATE the time and work on this project for you guys. i've been following it so long i'd be glad to contribute, I still wish i could remember the member's name that i did the TS .84 a/r t4 housing for but it seemed like it would be the bee's knees as far as spool and outflowing the .63 a/r t3 single scroll i run on the same turbo (i put an H1c/hx40 turbine into it and it fil really well)

Let me know and if i finally remember this guys screen name or find the claim papers from his box arriving here torn open and missing a housing i'll post or shoot him a PM/email asking him to chime in here`

I'm the guy with that Holset in a TS T4 Garrett .84 housing. I haven't been on this site much since last year. This is an old thread but if you want to know how the HX40 worked out in the Garrett, I'll give the details.

Aside from losing my other ceramic T4 housing in the mail I was still optimistic about the Housing that was machined for me. I cleaned and installed the "custom Holset" the same week I got it back. Of course, I had to do a little re-tuning I tried quite a few different settings in Stand Alone program to make this turbo spool as fast as it could. The results were horribe. I saw 15 PSI at 5700 RPMs on a Built 2.6l motor with equal length headers.
Here's why:
The clearance on the turbine were way out of spec. Mainly, on the sloped of the turbine wheel, where the transition from exducer to inducer is shown with a piece of soft wire placed to show the huge gap. It measures about 2.75mm
in picture show below.

The cartridge didn't fit right either. Its was only machined to the larger diameter Holset cartridge while the depth at which it sits when assembled, remains too shallow. Picture below shows the cartridge sitting higher than it should. That explains the the 2.75mm Gap shown^^^

After this whole fiasco with losing my ceramic turbine housing and getting a poorly machine housing back, it left a bad taste in my mouth. I didn't bother posting on leaving any feedback about this either. I don't suppose its too late for a refund.:rolleyes:
Currently I have a 62/64 journal bearing T4 turbo on my car and I can see 20psi by 3500 rpms. Here's a pic of that set up.

Yeah the 76/64mm HX40 turbine inducer tip is much more narrow than it's Garrett counterpart...something that can't really be modified unless there's a way to get the turbo to fit more "deeply" into the housing. Your photos illustrate this perfectly.

There's plenty of metal left in the cartridge side of the T4 housing for machining. If the housing was machined a little deeper, with proper measurement, to fit the cartridge, there wouldn't have been any large clearances on the turbine side.
Many have stuffed TD06 into TD05 turbine housings even T3s and that requires more machining than an Hx40 in a P trim housing. In my case, it would have worked if the machining was done properly.

So from what I just read is that you can machine a hx35 turbine housing to fit a hx40...if I am right will it help spool quicker and who here knows somewhere that does this please help me

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back