The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Custom holset T3 & T4 turbine housings

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So, is there any possibility of a TS T3 or T4 housing that is small enough to go spool around 2500-3200 for an HX35 and still pull through redline around 7500? That would be the best setup ever with a buttload of torque and horsepower.

Very, very doubtful that you could even get it to spool that fast in the first place. There just isn't enough exhaust gas to spool that size turbine under 3000rpm, at least on a 2.0. The HX35 is already one of the fastest spooling turbos of it's size, the stock housing is pretty perfectly sized on a 2.0, it's just huge and heavy. You'll probably get it to spool faster with a stroker, but then you might max out the turbine housing at higher rpm.

You might be able to pull something like that off with a quick spool valve..

Not a chance. True twin-scroll always spools faster than a quick spool valve on an open manifold.

get a 12cm T3 HX35 housing machined for your setup and you would spool up faster and it wouldn't hurt your top end.
These stock housing were designed for large displacement slow moving diesel engines thats why they are so large

Tried that. Doens't work. 12cm turbine is way too small.

Exactly.

If that were the case who would want/need a different street turbo if you could get a 40 to spool at 3200 and pull 70lb/min?

Exactly.

If that were the case who would want/need a different street turbo if you could get a 40 to spool at 3200 and pull 70lb/min?

You're confused. The 3200 spool remark was about an HX35.

On, anther not, I wouldn't go smaller than a 14-16cm2 housing for an HX40 anyway, any less and you're going to be choking the turbine.

i love my .63 single t3 turbine on hx35 turbine and 8 blade hx40 comp... broke trans at 31 psi and 522hp, and previousely best was 482@ 27-28psi, gpesny seem to choke to me, was roasting all 4 tires in first and 2nd last night taking a friend for a ride

Yeah but it doesn't spool like a twin-scroll HX35, and I guarantee the transient response suffers with that compressor/turbine combo.

You're confused. The 3200 spool remark was about an HX35.

I understood, they were talking about putting a hx35 12cm TH on the 40 to get faster spool, may not be 3200, and the same top end, but it came across that way.

This brings me back to the topic of A/R conversions for TS turbine housings. There seems to be a lot of info out there and conversions. I have seen a bunch of conversions from cm^2 to A/R but never two the same. Anyone care to elaborate as this would be a huge deciding factor for people.

P.S. - I stuck with the 16cm^2 housing for a reason ;) Good spool and just keeps making power up top.

Tiki...without twincharging or dual charging with a blower and turbo you're not gonna get spool that early and a good clean unrestricted pull through redline period. There's some things that aren't around because they are as they sound "too good to be true"

Anyway, best bet for you would be the VGT HVE351 or whatever it's called

Hell, my turbo spools FAST, the gate can be open before 4800RPM at 28psi in a gear where it can load enough to boost before it passes the RPM (third at part throttle sometimes i make insane boost levels at 3600)

Not to mention that with that much of an early spool you're just gonna break parts with too early and too high of a torque onset, better go auto tranny if you get soimething that could perform like that. (you can introduce nitrouse after 2500 RPm, before that it's known to bend rods, so that may be a good answer for you.. I love the balance i have with the T3 .63 a/r single scroll setup, but i'd still love to hear about the .84 TS t4 housing i machined for the guy in florida and how it's going, the gt35r housing that wasw a bolt on mitsu flange can be read about in the california local area thread about a lot of holsets for sale by boostedtalon... he's getting even earlier spool than i do....

My only thing i ask anymore is "when are people gonna be happy enough to stop asking for more" LOL use to be a 600+ capable turbo wouldn't be spooled til about 5k RPM< now we have the holsets that cfan spool before 4k and now people want 600+ HP and spool like a T25.... LOL

Tiki...without twincharging or dual charging with a blower and turbo you're not gonna get spool that early and a good clean unrestricted pull through redline period. There's some things that aren't around because they are as they sound "too good to be true"

Hell, my turbo spools FAST, the gate can be open before 4800RPM at 28psi in a gear where it can load enough to boost before it passes the RPM (third at part throttle sometimes i make insane boost levels at 3600)

Not to mention that with that much of an early spool you're just gonna break parts with too early and too high of a torque onset, better go auto tranny if you get soimething that could perform like that. (you can introduce nitrouse after 2500 RPm, before that it's known to bend rods, so that may be a good answer for you.. I love the balance i have with the T3 .63 a/r single scroll setup, but i'd still love to hear about the .84 TS t4 housing i machined for the guy in florida and how it's going, the gt35r housing that wasw a bolt on mitsu flange can be read about in the california local area thread about a lot of holsets for sale by boostedtalon... he's getting even earlier spool than i do....

My only thing i ask anymore is "when are people gonna be happy enough to stop asking for more" LOL use to be a 600+ capable turbo wouldn't be spooled til about 5k RPM< now we have the holsets that cfan spool before 4k and now people want 600+ HP and spool like a T25.... LOL
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/dsm-build-journals/419366-95-evo-iii-going-little-extreme-2.html
post 39/40
a T4 .84 TS setup, I forget his spool numbers but they are in that thread

Yep figured as much, but we can all dream LOL. I just want to find the most street able turbo setup thats relatively quick spooling and has good power. I'm pretty much set on the hx35 or 40. Just wish there was a cheap ts option for the hx35. I'm thinking about an evo viii mani with the ts t3 adapter from AMS IIRC.

Last edited:
i dont think a .70 would make too much difference for you in this case

I am dropping from 35 psi to 30 psi in 3rd gear by 7500 rpms. I am still maintaining 53-54 lb/min, but I would like my boost to stay constant and maybe pick up a couple lb/min. If that is achievable then it would probably be worth the effort to go from .63 to .70. I can sell my existing housing and recoup a good bit of my money on the upgrade.

I am dropping from 35 psi to 30 psi in 3rd gear by 7500 rpms. I am still maintaining 53-54 lb/min, but I would like my boost to stay constant and maybe pick up a couple lb/min. If that is achievable then it would probably be worth the effort to go from .63 to .70. I can sell my existing housing and recoup a good bit of my money on the upgrade.

Have you tried putting a boost line on the top of the wastegate?

Have you tried putting a boost line on the top of the wastegate?

Doesn't help. Exhaust gas is blowing the WG open... Probably have somewhere near 45+psi of drive acting on a 1.5"+ piston (valve), the wg valve is producing about 80lbs of force. Assuming you have your WG which has a 2.5" diaphragm sprung to open at 25psi, the spring is exerting 122lbs of force holding the WG closed.

See the problem here? As the drive pressure rises it takes pressure off the spring, letting the diaphragm open the gate with less boost. In fact at high RPM where you have 45psi of drive, it only takes about 10psi to open the gate. Obviously this is a worst case scenario, and it's usually not this bad. But I logged my drive pressure, and used this method to figure out what my boost should be, and it wasn't very far off from what it really was.

Finally putting the boost source on top only makes the spring stiffer. So it really doesn't help. It does work much better than the old school ball+spring.

What I've done to help boost fall of was:
1. limit the travel of the WG, so initiate a "boost creep" situation. Kinda works, but not all the well.
2. Use a bsc solenoid to limit the signal to the wga. I did that and tuned my duty cycle curve to my calculations and drive pressure, and it was almost perfect the first try!

1. limit the travel of the WG, so initiate a "boost creep" situation. Kinda works, but not all the well.
2. Use a bsc solenoid to limit the signal to the wga. I did that and tuned my duty cycle curve to my calculations and drive pressure, and it was almost perfect the first try!

Right on man, I'm planning on doing the latter myself, but I wasn't sure what kind of boost controller he was using, so I thought I'd recommend that first.

Not sure on that one, although I better have something up my sleeve when Dave maxes out the Bullseye housing....and I'm sure that's going to happen sooner rather than later.

I've given thought to a .82 T3 housing, but judging by how the .70 Bullseye housing has performed thus far it makes me wonder if it's really a .70 a/r or not. I'd sure hate to do a ton of machining on a .82 housing just to have it perform worse.

The driving force behind the .82 option for me has been the success of that particular housing on the FP 3794. ;)

Not sure on that one, although I better have something up my sleeve when Dave maxes out the Bullseye housing....and I'm sure that's going to happen sooner rather than later.

I've given thought to a .82 T3 housing, but judging by how the .70 Bullseye housing has performed thus far it makes me wonder if it's really a .70 a/r or not. I'd sure hate to do a ton of machining on a .82 housing just to have it perform worse.

The driving force behind the .82 option for me has been the success of that particular housing on the FP 3794. ;)

Hit me up when you guys need the machining, i;LL DONATE the time and work on this project for you guys. i've been following it so long i'd be glad to contribute, I still wish i could remember the member's name that i did the TS .84 a/r t4 housing for but it seemed like it would be the bee's knees as far as spool and outflowing the .63 a/r t3 single scroll i run on the same turbo (i put an H1c/hx40 turbine into it and it fil really well)

Let me know and if i finally remember this guys screen name or find the claim papers from his box arriving here torn open and missing a housing i'll post or shoot him a PM/email asking him to chime in here`

Regarding the BEP housing, it very well could be a ".70A/R" housing, but it depends on where they took the centroid vs. where Garrett measures from.

That's why there is a range on the A/R equivalence for housings that are only listed by nozzle area (cm^2)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back