The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Crankshaft counter weight damage

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OWL

Proven Member
Feb 6, 2014
Clarksville, Tennessee
I was changing the oil pan rtv on a fresh rebuild, and noticed that the counter weights for the number 1 cylinder have damage to the forward tips. I cant see any damage done to the block but both tips of the number 1 counter weights have scaring. Anyone ever seen this in an engine before?

Thanks

Last edited:
Have a pic? not sure how that would end up there unless someone had a funny way of balancing. normally they balance by drilling a recess or even adding weight. I have seen some weird things before.

Have a pic? not sure how that would end up there unless someone had a funny way of balancing. normally they balance by drilling a recess or even adding weight. I have seen some weird things before.
Ill post some photos later; I have to replace the front cover gasket

Here are some photos I took this morning of the counter weights, and the damage to the oil pump

Attachments

• engine 002.JPG
    engine 002.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 592
  • rsz_engine_001.jpg
    rsz_engine_001.jpg
    875.6 KB · Views: 365
  • rsz_engine_006.jpg
    rsz_engine_006.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 398
The crank looks like it may have been in an engine that broke a rod.
Did you do the rebuild? Can you get a picture from directly underneath looking up towards the piston, at a couple different points in the rotation?

I had the engine rebuilt at a shop. I don't remember seeing that but who knows. The crank doesn't walk, and the engine has about 1hr on it. Not sure If I can get clear enough photos to so the rest of the cylinder. The piston appears to be undamaged and the block doesn't seem to have any damage either. Im about to install another oil pump I had around here. What are some input on using aviation prematex gasket form sealant on the front cover gasket, or cooper spray, or should it just be the gasket only?

Sorry to jump in, but I too am curious as to what the best thing to use on the front case gaskets are. Ive seen copper spray used in videos on a lot of the gaskets. I'm about to assemble my first 4g pretty soon as well. OWL, best of luck bro!

Sorry to jump in, but I too am curious as to what the best thing to use on the front case gaskets are. Ive seen copper spray used in videos on a lot of the gaskets. I'm about to assemble my first 4g pretty soon as well. OWL, best of luck bro!
Im not sure im going t order a quality gasket and use copper spray. Don't use the red rtv for oil the oil pan, use black or gray

Well, i actually was watching Jafro videos and asked him what he recommends. He said the same basically: Dont use copper spray, its not necessary. He did, however, say that he uses a thin layer of grey rtv on his front case gasket and in a few other areas. I have a full OEM gasket kit on the way and ive never actually assembled the entire longblock.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back