The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Counterfeit Holset Turbos

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

:) will it perform the same?:p

There's nothing wrong with selling something that is a known "copy" meaning that someone elses log isn't printed on it. If you want and evo3 "GT", then fine. If you want an ebay intercooler, great. I have one they work well. A copy in attempt to make sales based on *branding* is definately something over which to get the book slapped on you. Great eye! Thanks for warning the community.

It's better to buy a used holset if you're unsure :).

This is why when I upgrade turbo I will only get it from FP or EPSI.com

Interesting.

Makes me wonder... I think in the part 5 thread, there was a young kid (posted a pic of himself next to the turbo) that bought a new Holset to put on his 2g. The label was a sticker. Anyone run across those lately?

I'll have to see if I can find it...

50trimmed1g had an oddball sticker with no plate.

And onelove had no plate or sticker.

Another oddity is the Holset letters cast into the compressor cover. Notice the shape of the L, along with the grain finish of the cover.

Damn, For people not as astute as you, this is why you buy from a reputable vendor. ...or someone who rebuilds 'em. ;)

Makes me wonder... I think in the part 5 thread, there was a young kid (posted a pic of himself next to the turbo) that bought a new Holset to put on his 2g. The label was a sticker. Anyone run across those lately?
Here's my take on the stickers.

The stickers are placed over a Holset part number tag of a new turbo when something like the exhaust housing is changed, or there has been a running change made while that turbo was on the shelf at the factory or a warehouse. There are so many different turbine housings available for Holsets that anytime a housing is changed, the existing part number for the turbo on the compressor housing is rendered useless.

Holset supplies turbos to diesel big-shots Cummins and Volvo among others....I'm sure none of their part numbering systems are exactly the same, which is another reason for the stickers over the tags. Cummins wants a turbo with part number "1" on it, Volvo wants the same turbo with part number "1a". They're not going to stamp out a whole new tag for a turbo that's sitting on the shelf ready to ship....in steps Mr. Sticker.

My new Genuine HX40 came with a sticker over the original tag as well. The sticker was tacky, so I peeled it to reveal a catchy new-style tag underneath:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The sticker is universally used to display part numbers even on new CHRA's when purchased:

And onelove had no plate or sticker.
His HX40 appears to be one that was either rebuilt or Factory Remanufactured. I've had my hands on a couple Factory Reman'd Holsets and honestly they cannot be told from a new one. If his turbo is a Factory Reman, I'm willing to bet the entire turbo is new aside from the compressor cover which was media-blasted.

My WH1C is made in Charleston, SC, USA. The writing is engraved, not "peened." I bought it off a diesel forum, so I feel pretty confident in it's authenticity. Nobody would bother making a copy WH1C either, I don't think, they'd just make the hx-35 haha. I hope I'm right..

But it is good to know to be careful when buying things like these.

As long as it has a vband compressor cover. That is a dead giveaway that its one of the bigger H1 turbos. And yep, the wh1c is IDENTICAL on the insides and a/r as the hx35. The hx35 has a better "ring" because of the results attached to it's name. So I think you're safe too.

This is why when I upgrade turbo I will only get it from FP or EPSI.com

Even your precious FP had to add a disclaimer on their website because people started calling them out on using taiwan made parts.

Forced Performance Turbochargers: DSM 18G-6SL2 Turbocharger

While all FP turbochargers are built in our Dallas Texas plant, castings may have various countries of origin other than the US. Some castings are made in Japan, Tiawan, and Canada.

"Assembled in USA, not made in USA." Try telling a muscle car jock that your eagle talon is american.:thumb:

Take notice how the part number on the authetic Holset tag appear to be "peened" on the tag....that's how my genuine HX40 is as well. The XS Power HX40 copy's part number is engraved.

Here's my take on the stickers.

The stickers are placed over a Holset part number tag of a new turbo when something like the exhaust housing is changed, or there has been a running change made while that turbo was on the shelf at the factory or a warehouse. There are so many different turbine housings available for Holsets that anytime a housing is changed, the existing part number for the turbo on the compressor housing is rendered useless.

Holset supplies turbos to diesel big-shots Cummins and Volvo among others....I'm sure none of their part numbering systems are exactly the same, which is another reason for the stickers over the tags. Cummins wants a turbo with part number "1" on it, Volvo wants the same turbo with part number "1a". They're not going to stamp out a whole new tag for a turbo that's sitting on the shelf ready to ship....in steps Mr. Sticker.

My new Genuine HX40 came with a sticker over the original tag as well. The sticker was tacky, so I peeled it to reveal a catchy new-style tag underneath:

The sticker is universally used to display part numbers even on new CHRA's when purchased:

His HX40 appears to be one that was either rebuilt or Factory Remanufactured. I've had my hands on a couple Factory Reman'd Holsets and honestly they cannot be told from a new one. If his turbo is a Factory Reman, I'm willing to bet the entire turbo is new aside from the compressor cover which was media-blasted.

Now im starting to question my hx40s. Whats your opinion on these tags?

My first hx40 i got used and the tag isnt peened, but its got the SC plant listed on it instead of the England plant.

My second one that i bought was new and came in what looked to be a legit cummins box, but i think i threw it away. It came like this with the SC plant sticker on it

I pealed off the sticker and found the new style tag and the serial number matched, but its also lettered like the first one.

Have you seen any other tags from the SC plant? I believe it is the newest plant holset has and has only been open for a few years. Is there any way to verify they are legit by the serial numbers?

Yours are all Genuine Holsets- no need to worry yourself.

The part numbers on the older tags were stamped, while the newer tags are peened. The point I was making in the earlier post is that the XS Power HX40's tag is engraved, and Holset doesn't engrave any of their tags to my knowledge.

If you'll look at the sticker that was on your turbo, you'll see it follows exactly what I explained earlier- a part number relabel on behalf of Holset. The tag underneath specified 4038044 as the part number, while the sticker is relabeled 4025308 with the original tagged number following the new number.

Yours are all Genuine Holsets- no need to worry yourself.

The part numbers on the older tags were stamped, while the newer tags are peened. The point I was making in the earlier post is that the XS Power HX40's tag is engraved, and Holset doesn't engrave any of their tags to my knowledge.

If you'll look at the sticker that was on your turbo, you'll see it follows exactly what I explained earlier- a part number relabel on behalf of Holset. The tag underneath specified 4038044 as the part number, while the sticker is relabeled 4025308 with the original tagged number following the new number.

I actually emailed cummins when i recieved the one with the sticker because i thought the part number was different on the tag than it was on the sticker and box. What they told me was the Assy number was the generic assembly number (no specific clocking location), but the customer number was the identification for the application specific clocking of everything to fit the vehicle without having to move any part of it. I dont know if i explained that very well, so i copied my reply from cummins.

James Moorhouse Marketing Co-ordinator Cummins Turbo Technologies Ltd said:
4038044 is the turbocharger part number, 4025308 is the customer part number. 4038044 is the base turbo whereas 4025308 has all the correct customer attitude settings (compressor/turbine housing rotations etc)

4025308 was the part number on my cummins box which specidied turbo 4038044 clocked the way it needed to be to fit on whatever application 4025308 is.

Thanks for reassuring me that mine arent fakes. :hellyeah:
I had no doubt until you mentioned the peening of the tag numbers. Then i started second guessing myself :hmm:

Let's see Cummins Whoop some ass on XS-Power :hellyeah: LOL
I figured some of you may be interested in seeing where this goes, If anywhere.

Dear Ash,
Thank you for your email regarding the turbocharger listed on ebay. This product is now under investigation and we will let you know of the outcome as soon as possible.

In the mean tine, I would recommend that you do not consider purchasing this product from ebay.

Thank you

James

Kind Regards
James Moorhouse
Marketing Co-ordinator
Cummins Turbo Technologies Ltd
St Andrew's Road
Huddersfield
HD1 6RA
United Kingdom
Tel +44 1484 832637
Fax +44 1484 452623
cummins.com/turbos

Further from the same site. . .

A turbo that is less fuel efficient is one that takes more back pressure to see boost. This is because VE goes down and pumping loss goes up. Neither are things you want with a performance turbocharger.

Definately a 9cm^2 turbine housing. I'd say it was an hy35 except for the small compressor housing in reference to its 9cm^2 turbine housing. With a little smaller compressor wheel that turbo would be a GREAT 400-450whp turbo. Depends on how small the compressor wheel is.

More counterfit boldness. Thanx to SkylinesSuck for the heads up.

Wuxi, China turbocharger production base

holset with production base in Wuxi

There are many in Wuxi turbocharger manufacturers

High quality low price

If you need to contact me please and tell me models

I will give you price

We can provide HOLSET turbo-charger and some other own-brand turbo-chargers produced by some local OEM manufacturers (with more favorable price)

I would have bought something like that before too when I was first getting into holset turbo's. What a shame these guys will give a good amount of people the wrong idea on holset turbo's

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back