1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Trouble Logging In or Staying Logged In?

CLEAR YOUR BROWSER COOKIES! More info about this can be found here. If you still have trouble after clearing your browser's cookies and cache, reply to that thread and tell us what browser you're using and what device you're using.

Counterfeit Holset Turbos

Posted by thilaksharma, Aug 31, 2008

Please Support VR Speed Factory
  1. thilaksharma

thilaksharma Proven Member

Joined Jul 3, 2006
    Evo City, Asia
    I was doing a research on Holset turbo's and I searched through the China Trade Portal
    these are some photos for you to see , H1E , HX40 and etc , they are all not genuines , unlike SSAC & XSPOWER, these Chinese manufacturers do print Holset on their compressor housings and the Brand Stamp of Part No & etc is exactly like the original , just to warn you guys before you get ripped off. I guess these turbos are already circulating in Ebay and some cheap turbo shops.

Turbocharger HX40

turbocharger H1E

turbocharger_HX40W.jpg :notgood:

turbocharger_H1E.jpg OMG

vs the original

[​IMG] :thumb:

*sorry for my english

Featured Products from our Supporting Vendors

2. JusMX141

JusMX141 Moderator

Joined Dec 13, 2005
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    I'm not convinced the photos you've posted are of the actual product they're selling.

It's almost worded as if they're saying "we've made a copy of this turbo", not "here is our version of an HX40." The giveaway to me was the phrases "We can also produce according to samples" and "We have produced turbochargers as follows..." What you're seeing in the photo is probably the one Genuine Holset turbo that they bought to copy.

Holset would never allow that type of copyright infringement to fly. Not to mention, in the one photo you can see on the center housing "Made In UK"....they can't state where the turbo's manufactured if it's not actually made there, right?

The part that gets me is you can buy 100 knockoff HX40's for $115 each.

3. Slippi84

Slippi84 Proven Member

Joined Jun 8, 2005
    Cinnaminson, New Jersey
    You should have put this in the holset turbo thread but anyway none of those are fakes. You can tell by the tags on the compressor covers and the hotside is standard holset. Not to mention buying a holset for 115 that's real isn't a big thing either. They really are that cheap if you look in the right places.

Edit: After clicking the link and looking at the china made hotside they look liek holsets in cheap t3 hotsides. If they are fake they are in for a huge lawsuit. It's ok though the ones that are fake on ebay don't have compressor covers with the tag on them like that and holset type housings like the first pic you have they look more like this one

16beavb.gif

My DSM:
  4. thilaksharma

thilaksharma Proven Member

Joined Jul 3, 2006
    Evo City, Asia
    i am in a email conversation with with them currently, i will post the log soon , they have mentioned to me in their own broken english "you want what brand , me print for you" , their turbo's from China are really cheap , a 57trim garrett copy is only $120, a knock off tial 38mm is only $49 , a FMIC as big as a evo is $50 :cool:

5. dsm-onster

dsm-onster DSM Wiseman

Joined Jul 11, 2004
    Bloxom, Virginia
    I agree, those pictures are of a true Holset. The 'fake' in your fake vs. original comparison is of an h1e and the 'original' is of the hx40 8-blade. The 'fake' has been balanced. If a chinese company can make an exact replica and can balance it, then I'll buy it. . . I've seen amny DIFFERENT real holsets have both covers shown above. . .

No doubt, there is a company making chinese parts that 'cheat off of' Holset. However, there's no lawsuits stretching across the ocean to pounce on a chinese company :) . So there's nothing holset can do about it. China will permit anything promoting their economy.

If they don't post the pic of their turbo, then don't buy it. It's that simple. If they do, then don't expect it to perform the same.

My DSM:
  6. JusMX141

JusMX141 Moderator

Joined Dec 13, 2005
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
  7. Mike1992

Mike1992 Proven Member

Joined Jul 19, 2003
    Springfield, Missouri
    Simply amazing, xspower yet again "tries" to copy another real world product.

My DSM:
    1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

11.292 @ 126.120 MPH
  8. 19BLACKGST98

19BLACKGST98 Proven Member

Joined Nov 6, 2003
    McKinney, Texas
    So where are the right places to look. I currently have a fp3052 and its working great but if it ever craps out I would like to throw an HX40 on in its place.

9. JusMX141

JusMX141 Moderator

Joined Dec 13, 2005
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    eBay, Diesel truck forums, etc. You just have to know how to spot the real deal from a knockoff. It's getting easy to tell as most knockoffs have that half-ass polished appearance to the compressor cover.

10. carbide

carbide Proven Member

Joined Dec 20, 2005
    Twin Cities, Minnesota
    I have what appears to be a genuine Holset, kinda.

Mine does not have any tag on the compressor cover, but there is a spot for it.

The compressor cover inlet OD and ID doesn't appear to be machined at all, just a smooth casting

It says Holset on the comp. cover in bolder letters than of pics I've seen on here.

The center section says Holset, Make in UK, etc.

I just was kinda alarmed on the no blue tag, no machining, and the bolder font of the "HOLSET" on the cover.

Anyone have a similar one?

11. knochgoon24

knochgoon24 DSM Wiseman

Joined Jan 29, 2008
    Troy, Michigan
    Post up a few pictures.

12. UGOT8UP

UGOT8UP Proven Member

Joined Dec 30, 2008
    Dothan, Alabama
    These are the Holset's that I own. Maybe you can Idenfy your's from these
    H1C
    a027.gif
    HX35W
    a025.gif
    1HolsetHX-35small.gif
    a024.gif

My DSM:
    1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

11.981 @ 119.135 MPH
  13. Rob10_99

Rob10_99 Proven Member

Joined May 22, 2005
    Ptown, Arizona
    Well they all say Holset on the cover, and have blue/aluminum tag plates, look up those numbers and postem up if you cant find what they are.

Doh, I thought ateup's was the turbo in question, they should have the same font as that.
    It's fairly illigal to make something "made in the UK" yet 100% from china. Way, way illigal.

My DSM:
    1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

29.320 @ 55.000 MPH
  14. carbide

carbide Proven Member

Joined Dec 20, 2005
    Twin Cities, Minnesota
    Here is a pic, all I've got. It's an HX40, supposedly.

15. talonDSMerr

talonDSMerr Proven Member

Joined Aug 19, 2007
    Greenwood, Indiana
    That holset looks brand spanking new, where did you buy it off of?

You have a nice setup waiting for an install, I see..

16. PIMking

PIMking Proven Member

Joined Jan 29, 2008
    tuscaloosa, Alabama
    ^^^ oh my look at the goodies!

17. toofast82

toofast82 Proven Member

Joined Feb 8, 2005
    Tinley Park, Illinois
  18. 1stGenTSi

1stGenTSi Proven Member

Joined Apr 8, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Which o2 housing are you going to use for that Tial v-band?

19. talonDSMerr

Joined Aug 19, 2007
    Greenwood, Indiana
    ^^wondering the same thing.

You should get one custom built from punishment, that'll complete your setup for sure!

20. toofast82

toofast82 Proven Member

Joined Feb 8, 2005
    Tinley Park, Illinois
    I think they sell flanges to connect a standard 2bolt flange to vband

21. kawboy

kawboy Proven Member

Joined Jan 20, 2006
    Toms River, New Jersey
    That's a real HX-40

Whered you get it from? With the housing and such

22. carbide

carbide Proven Member

Joined Dec 20, 2005
    Twin Cities, Minnesota
    I'll post pics of my 02, but I do not want to take this thread off topic. How do you all know my Holset is Genuine? I had a bad experience with the place I got my turbo from, so I will not mention. Check out vendors-reviewed.com.

My o2 housing:

I'd post more but "my quota" is exceeded.

The o2 housing is about 3" v-band outlet and the flange inlet is a little smaller, but its a heck of a lot better transition than my ebay 2.5" dumped 02 was!

23. talonDSMerr

Joined Aug 19, 2007
    Greenwood, Indiana
    Is that a flex section on the recirculation tube? Interesting, I've never seen it done that way yet.

24. awdmonster1904

awdmonster1904 Proven Member

Joined Aug 23, 2007
    Fullerton, California
    china will make anything

My DSM:
    1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

10.410 @ 137.9 MPH
    1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Drag Race Build

GT35   manual