The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Coolant Overflow Tank / Catch Can / Reservoir Install Tips

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turtlebain

10+ Year Contributor
May 16, 2012
Rochester, New_York
Hi guys, since I've had my car the coolant catch can on it has been the Home Depot plastic model. And when I switched over to a manual boost controller, like a dummy, I installed the coolant reservoir right next to the exhaust manifold, and this happened:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Well, I thought it cooled back into a working coolant overflow tank, but then the car started overheating and I went to add coolant, it nearly took the whole bottle. Obviously it is leaking from somewhere. So I want to eliminate the reservoir as an issue.

I'm going to pick up either of these
Link: Mishimoto Universal

Link: STM's own made for Evo VIII

I like the Evo model for the welds and overall look, but also for the level indicator. Only problem is finding a place to mount it.

So... Need your help on:
* Mounting placement
- Where is a good install position? Does height matter? Recommendations? And share your placement if you have a pic
* Install tips - Operation & reliability are priorities - Is it ok to just bolt it on there and fill it up? Is there any checks I should do?

For height, make sure it is below the t-stat housing so it will drain into the catch can. As far as placement, I would try and put it as close to the factory position as you can. There are several places you can bolt it into but will require drilling and tapping holes. It all depends on where you want to put it. Good luck.

Looking at the STM overflow, I don't believe it has a level indicator. Those fittings are simply for the lines of the tank. I would assume you could install a sight glass easy enough though... Just wanted to point that out...

According to HowStuffWorks the cooling system will fill and drain the overflow tank as necessary. So re-thinking this, I don't know how much height really matters, as long as it's relatively close to the thermostat housing in height.

As far as a mounting solution, I'm not afraid to drill and tap. I'm thinking of mounting to the firewall. Any other suggestions?

Looking at the STM overflow, I don't believe it has a level indicator. Those fittings are simply for the lines of the tank. I would assume you could install a sight glass easy enough though... Just wanted to point that out...

Aw dammit. I was pretty excited about the sight glass, but thanks for pointing that out. Would that one work? Mine only has one hose leading to the reservoir, for both in and out presumably..

There is a freelancer on here that makes Coolant reservoir for our cars. I have one on my 2G very nice piece.

Coolant overflow tanks - DSM Classifieds

I looked at those with some deep thought, but I want it done today. Plus those are much more $$.

Mine just arrived yesterday. Was actually surprised it looks almost chrome. Hate to say it's almost to shiny for my engine bay LOL(picts with it next to my mishimoto x-line radiator for difference in shine)

So far I thought I'd mount in the stock location. But since I only want to drill and tap new holes as a last resort. I haven't found a location that works yet. Will mess with it tomorrow some more.

Also side note I ordered 8an line (just took a guess, and crossed my fingers) to replace the hose that comes with it. And it a little to large. Id think 6an would be perfect.

Attachments

• 20160721_112102.jpg
    20160721_112102.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 733
  • 20160721_112050.jpg
    20160721_112050.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 621
Chiming in here as the OP. I've had the STM Evo on the car for a while with good results and like the not too flashy but custom look to it . Definitely adds a nice touch to the bay with the vibrant cap (mine is black)

I had mine stealth mounted to side of the engine bay above the transmission and below where the factory cruise control solenoid / factory fuse box would be. But also rethinking I might try to mount it onto the radiator going forward.

Slowwhite - just a thought .. why don't you take some 1000 grit to the outside and give it a brushed aluminum look? it is just aluminum after all isn't it? Also I might have some -6 russel proclassic line laying around at the house if you'd like me to check. Along with Russel black silver ends.

You can see my mounting position here:

Oh and Slowwhite - wouldn't recommend drilling into stock metal unless you have a nut riveting tool. Most of the metal in the engine bay is way too thin to tap.

Turtle i appreciate the offers. I already have the line on order.

Might give the sandpaper a try (start with a small section on the bottom just to test)

Mounting to the radiator would be an ideal solution. However I still run a passengerside only, stock fan.

I was really hoping it would fit next to my oil catch can on the fire wall. But again hopes were.crushed when it my backup plan didn't work either.

Last edited:
If anyone's looking I got a coolant and oil catch can from gambles garage, very nice quality and decent priced

Installed my mishimoto one today. Fabbed up a bracket at work using scrap metal we had laying around.

8" long by like 1 1/2 piece of metal.
Used the Mishimoto bracket for the top 2 hole placement.
And used the stock mounting bracket or the bottom. (Just be careful on the stock bracket as there are 2 welds you have to be aware of and not drill through, I used 7/32 drill for that part, I'll update this post with pictures of the actual holes and what not tomorrow after I'm done painting it)
But here it is installed for the trip home from work. (I also used the hose that came with the kit for now as the 4an hasn't shown up yet)

Attachments

• 20160723_190605.jpg
    20160723_190605.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 860
  • 20160723_190610.jpg
    20160723_190610.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 624
Just a little update on my mishimoto coolant catch can install.

Since I put it on I have been getting constant coolant spray out of the top of it. Which I never had with the stock setup.

After some
discussion about it, I decided to modify it.
-6an FTP bulk head tee fitting
-6an FTP bulk head nut
-6an FTP straight fitting (x3)
-6an cap to plug the bottom hose outlet the mishimoto comes with
-6an FTP line.

This mimics the setup of the stock coolant overflow. Using a drill press just drill a hole in the center of the cap for the bulkhead fitting. (Just enough room for the bulk head nut to fit)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back