The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

coolant overflow placement with 2GB VRSF S/R FMIC

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airsign89

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 4, 2011
troy, Michigan
Hey everybody, so as some of you have already read I got the newest gen. of short route VRSF installed on my 14b equipped 1997 Talon TSI AWD, obviously looking at the way the "cold" side of the piping comes through the radiator support one might ask: "where does the coolant over-flow go?", and after looking at solutions involving gatorade bottles and custom made pieces I'm left wondering if there is any way to remove the lower bracket -or some other cheap method- and mount it unmolested?

Mine just tucks behind my air filter now, there is a empty hold for the overflow hose to stick through..

yes, I'll get one tomorrow when the sun is up! no garage storage for the tsi here :|

dsm03: your mod list does not include any modifications to your cooling system, so are you running the stock radiator and fans and your AC radiator? Thanks for your answers.

Put my original coolant tank where the smic goes by bending the bracket and a bolt. :D

Please, call me Rich!

No mods to above axed. trimmed my bumper cover a bit of cutting, but that's it.

I bent the bracket (where you bolt it up to the car) to an angle bolted it to a strip of metal with premade holes (bought it at Lowes can't remember the name for it) bent so it could line up with one of the holes on the car and bolted it. Boom no more coolant spills in my engine bay. I also went to autozone to get a extra long coolant line for the cap. Well like I stated on your other thread I removed the splashed guards so I gave it a sneak peak every now and then LOL

Can take pics tomorrow if you like.

Last edited:
Rich: I like the fact that bumper cover trimming can help overheating problems... now my thought was that if you could imagine the top of the VRSF I/C on your bumper and just cut straight to it (killing the middle of y(our)) bumper, could not one make a flat piece of aluminum attached to the top of the I/C horizontally to the top of the after said trimmed bumper and have a somewhat stock-looking bumper (the aluminum part painted of course) that would rout air straight to the I/C and thus more effectively to the radiator and less importantly the ac? Sorry about the long post and the somewhat dubious explanations, if the explanation is too vague, post back such. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Are you experiencing any overheating issues? If not don't worry about it.

I relocated mine to the firewall let me find a pic for you. I don't know that it will help unless your battery is relocated as well.

Oh, I can't find a picture. but its relocated to the firewall, directly beside the DSM placard on the passenger side. I used the bolt hole that was allready there.

the cheapest, easiest OEM way is to use a 2g N/T coolant overflow tank! lil trick i picked up.

it fits nicely and u can kinda use the bracket from the n/t to mount it. its shaped much better. my junkyard pickup was leaking so i have to get another. it worked well, mounted it on the fan pack right above the uicp routing.

picts when I redo it.

I just lowered the bracket so that my over flow tank sits just infront of the transmission and below the IC piping. There was a hole available so I just mounted the bracket to that hole and the bottle cleared the piping and is a great spot as it doesn't get in the way.

A dsmtuners member sells a custom made shorter coolant overflow bottle on here specifically for this intercooler... I forget his name though.

To the last few posts: I resolved this by lengthening the hose that goes to the coolant overflow then trimming some of the excess plastic on it and placing it where the SMIC piping used to go. Not the most elegant solution but its worked fine for over a month.

A dsmtuners member sells a custom made shorter coolant overflow bottle on here specifically for this intercooler... I forget his name though.

92awdgsx is his name but he recently tore a tentdent on his hand or something so hes not welding at thhe moment but his work is great a little pricy but the aluminum overflow he makes are awesome looking

Just wanted to post my coolant reservoir pics for future reference (after 3 months :p)

Right where the smic went.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You can see the bracket (Found it at Lowes) and where I bolted it to (top of the pic).
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

How can you use it in that placement. And how can it function properly being that much lower then it was inteded.

I have one of the 1st tanks 92awdgsx (ERB) made. And there the best option out there IMO.

How can you use it in that placement. And how can it function properly being that much lower then it was inteded.

I have one of the 1st tanks 92awdgsx (ERB) made. And there the best option out there IMO.

Function properly?? It's not Rocket Science. Coolant just gets "pushed" into and out of the reservoir when the coolant temps heat up/cool off. So as long as there's place for the coolant to store/draw coolant, the cooling system is fine. People have been relocating their tanks here for years with no problems, so I highly doubt its smic placement plays a major role IMO.

92awdgsx's tanks are great no doubt about it (will probably buy one in the future). But relocating it, using a gatorade bottle & etc is a great fix for a couple bucks. $5>$130 :thumb:

I just lowered the bracket so that my over flow tank sits just infront of the transmission and below the IC piping. There was a hole available so I just mounted the bracket to that hole and the bottle cleared the piping and is a great spot as it doesn't get in the way.

This is similiar to what I did and it worked great.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back