The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Coolant leak ! Fml

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o0GuitarKid0o

Proven Member
Dec 12, 2013
Winnipeg ,MB, MB_Canada
We'll took the laser to Tim hortans and there was Literally a stream of coolant coming out around my oil filter houseing

Now I'm fairly certain I don't have a water or air cooled filter houseing but where the hell is this coming from!

The water pump doesn't seem to be leaking (from inlet pipe) although after my coffee I'm removing my timing cover ,mount ect to sneek a peak at my pump

Any suggestions? Cars running strong as always
Just not what I want to do on my day off and winters coming and a bonus it gets dark at 5 now !

Cars a 6bolt , 1991 laser , fresh water pump last year +seals and timing belt ect

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    374.8 KB · Views: 145
We'll it's defiantly not the inlet pipe O ring fml

No coolant on tbelt

The coolant was literally pouring from the ofh but idk still gonna wast a few hours checking the pump for leaks.
theres a wet spot below the alternator but it's dry on the pipe? And it was p!ssing coolant prob a cup full

We'll topped off the coolant and now it's NOT leaking a drop at all .. I don't under stand!
I'm gonna wake up early tmmr and dig in it's going to get dark soon

Wonder if it will only leak when cold? There's plenty of coolant in there and the fans turn on/thermostat opens and the hose on the top of the rad gets hot and has pressure

Any suggestions it's almost like (dare I say it) my block has a crack

The coolent was coming off the seal between the block and the OFH

Did you check if it was coming from the weep hole on the water pump?

Did you check if it was coming from the weep hole on the water pump?

I couldn't see a hole anywhere tbh I'll try an take a look ,
heard that means the pumps on it's way out

Top it off with coolant and let it warm up. Slowly Rev the engine to say 2.5-3k and see if the leak reappears.

Already did man this is why I'm puzzled !
I topped it off let it warm up (thermostat opened) revved it got zero leaks so I went for a 20 min cruise and revved it and turned it off and took a look and it was dry as a bone! Makes no sense

Just came back from the car wash and drove around for a little bit and again no leaks what so ever

I don't wanna be doing a water pump in minus 40 degree weather , hell just checking the oil is a pain when it's that cold

I could try some of that crappy band aid coolant sealant that swells the seals in the coolant system

Ps
the cars never came close to overheating
And there's zero fluid on my timing belt
I have a replacement thermostat also

Wonder if something caused a lot of pressure to build up and blow a seal but again it's not leaking anymore
Might have to pressure test the system

The weep hole is about 2" behind the pulleys at the 8 o'clock position. Its hard to see from the top because it is hidden by the webbing. I've had new water pumps fail in less then 5k miles.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Just throw a pressure tester on it, that's typically the easiest way to check the system.

Just throw a pressure tester on it, that's typically the easiest way to check the system.
Hoping my dad has one lying around if not ill rent one it's just wierd it stopped leaking all together even after I topped it off .
lettin my car cool down than going to repeat

On an unrelated note 1gs look so much better with out a front licence plate LOL just put a new cover on my plate

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 85
Forgot to mention that I can't even wiggle the water pump pully at all and the pump was replaced last year at 240,000 and I'm currently at 286,000 (yes I drive way to much)

We'll the leaks coming from around here any suggestions or personal experiences?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 114
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 110
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 117
We'll I found my culprit
God dam bolt coming loose on my pump... Didn't use a tourque wrench when we put the pump on ... I posted a picture it's the one that has the wet marks going down onto the cover

Gonna lock tight it and check my timing belt components out since I'm a step away

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 94
Yeah she's still leaked for a minute than stopped god dammit LOL

Just going to get a new pump and belt and keep on top of my coolant for a week until I can do this not outside and in a garage

Just waiting to see it leak again so I can check the weep hole while it's pouring out

Edit:
After looking back at a picture that I took, I think I found evidence of it being a weep hole issue/seal.

Kind of hard to see but I put an arrow on it what do you guys think?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
It's still leaking so I'm keeping up on fluids until Saturday

I'm buying a new pump Tommorow and possibly a belt if they have either a gates or mitshibushi belt although I just replaced all this last year LOL , not putting any contitech crap on my car
Will update when done

Make sure to clean up all the pitting on the water pipe before replacing the o-ring that seals it to the pump housing. You pump and water pipe look like the salt has gotten to them.

Yup I already got that done! Just used a fine wire brush

Timing belts back on already (in spec) and just gotta put back the mount ect should be done in a few hours

And I gotta say loving these timing tools LOL had to make a tensioner pully adjuster tho LOL

Lol, I wouldn't say the water pump was the culprit. I'd say the installation was "suspect".
I dont see how it was the install? The water pump was leaking from the weep hole so the internal seals blew and i didnt install that portion of the pump.
Now please explain yourself because obviously you didnt read the whole thread..
Ps i put 45,000k on that pump since last year so if it were the install like your speculating than it woulda happended a loong time ago

...not putting any contitech crap on my car
I've been using and endorsing Contitech belts for the past decade or so for any car that is primarily street-driven. For something that routinely sees the track, the stock Evo IX kevlar belt is a great option as well as many of the other racing belts from Gates, Power Enterprise, Greddy, HKS, etc.

Contitech belts and GMB water pumps have been my go-to for years....however the last GMB pump I bought was made in China which was a little disheartening being that all the previous units were made in Japan just like the OEM pumps for our cars- so I may need to find another vendor or just switch to OEM in the future for water pumps.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back