The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Resolved connecting rod length

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

south_ga_import

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 16, 2007
waycross, Georgia
ok, i'm rebuilding my 7 bolt engine, and i noticed they have different rod lengths. i'm trying to determine which rods i should use. i'm running cometic hg with arp studs, and 20 over wiseco pistons, and i'm probably doing a floating assembly setup(because i was told that was a better choice). so i'm wondering which length. ive found sizes from 147-150mm in length. any help would be appreciated.

Solution
Manley alone makes 150, 156 and 162mm length 7-bolt 4G63 rods.

Get yourself a set of 7-bolt Eagle rods to match your Wiseco pistons and call it a day.

FYI, OEM Rod Length is 150mm.
Manley alone makes 150, 156 and 162mm length 7-bolt 4G63 rods.

Get yourself a set of 7-bolt Eagle rods to match your Wiseco pistons and call it a day.

FYI, OEM Rod Length is 150mm.

Solution
from the info I have the 150mm/5.906 rods are the stock length rods... for a 2g 4G63 the 147mm rods may be for a 420a engine, I want to say the 420a was found in the 2g Eclispe Non-turbo

from the info I have the 150mm/5.906 rods are the stock length rods... for a 1g, 2g 4G63 and 4G64's the 147mm rods may be for a 420a engine, I want to say the 420a was found in the 2g Eclispe Non-turbo
Fixed ^^^ for you.
You are correct in saying that the 420a is found in the 2g NT, (and also Neons, Sebrings yada yada yada, and the 4G64 is found in the 2g GS Spyder 2.4L using the same 7-bolt 4G63 150mm rods too.

The 147mm rod is Tomei's sick attempt at making a 2.3L stroker out of a 4G63 using the 100mm crank, 147mm rods, and pistons with the wrist pin moved up only 3mm.
Tomei 147mm Forged H-Beam Connecting Rods Mitsubishi EVO VII VIII IX 4G63 03-07
This ends up being a rod/stroke ratio of 1.47 and using a heavier piston too.

Who the hell is talking about 420a's... :D
He mentioned he was rebuilding his 7-bolt, and he is a 2g GSX, so I assumed he meant 4G63.

FYI, 420a's use a rod length of 5.472" or 139mm.
https://www.slowboyracing.com/product.php?productid=2270&cat=37&page=1

Not trying to pick you apart BogusSVO just clearing up some information.

Strm-Trpr... No Prob.. I just looked at some quick info on the 4g63 rods and posted what I had info to back up.. the 147mm rod was a guess at what it may could have fit based off the year and gen...

Thanks again for setting it all stright!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back