The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Cold Air Delivery

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Note: This was done on a 1G. Being unfamiliar with 2G's, I am unable to 100% confirm that this will work on them, though it probably would. That is something you must determine yourself.
I had a problem with sucking in hot air from the engine bay, so I decided to put to use the DSM spirit do something about it. I wanted to be sucking in cold air without running the filter outside the engine bay by using longer piping; causing the car to become less responsive and as some have noted, poor performing in the rain. Here is my solution, albeit somewhat crude, it is highly effective and accomplished exactly what I needed it to. Let's get started.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The first order of business was to pick up a 4 inch hose clamp, 4 inch dryer hose, and 4 inch swivel elbow as pictured above. I also chose to use pop rivets to mount the elbow in the correct place, though I'm sure screws would work well too.
I used an angle grinder to cut out a much bigger hole than the one which was originally used for the SMIC. BE CAREFUL NOT TO CUT THE HARNESS!!

Next, I fitted the elbow to see how it would fit once mounted. On "1", there is an unused screw hole, so I utilized that. The dots on "2" and "3" represent where I was going to drill and put the pop rivets for mounting. I ended up drilling holes on the other side of the harness for "3" as you will see in later pictures.
I then cut a tab for "3" so that it would sit flush with the bottom of the surface I was mounting to. I also decided to coat all the swiveling parts of the elbow in caulking so that it would not twist and move from its correct position and smooth out the dips on the inside.
I drilled the holes and mounted the elbow in there once the caulking had dried overnight. This is directly under where my air filter sits.
Then slip the hose clamp on in a way where it will be easy to access to tighten and slip the dryer hose over the elbow and cut it to length. I took this picture while it was still out of the car for clarity.
This is how it will look from inside the bumper. You can also choose to secure the hose with a zip-tie, though this is not needed. I have had this up to 130MPH so far without it even budging.
View from outside the car. I slipped on another piece of an elbow I had over the front of the dryer hose though I imagine a bell-mouth velocity stack would look much cleaner.

At this point you may be finished, or you may choose to build an air box (represented as the white line) around the filter (represented as the red cone-type shape) in order to fully keep all heat away from the filter and thus maximize efficiency. Note that if you were to build this box, which is highly recommended, it MUST be contoured to match the curve of the inside of the hood. Good Luck and thank you for reading:thumb: :talon::dsm::laser:

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back