The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Clutch Start-Up Bypass

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Article

Hey guys, I am going to show you how you can start your manual transmission car without putting your foot in the clutch. Meaning as soon as your insert your key to “ON” your car will start.

The main reason to disable the start switch is to save your thrust bearing and help prevent crank walk. There is a flaw in the design of the 2G 4G63T oil squirters that leaves the thrust bearing dry under pressure. When depressing the clutch to start your engine, the pressure that is placed upon the thrust bearing while dry can lead to thrust bearing failure and horizontal movement from the crankshaft. *** aka CRANK WALK ***

Warning:

Please read carefully as I/DSMTUNERS will not be responsible for what happens during this guide or after you do this mod.
With that being said, after doing this mod, please take note that if you have your car in gear and start your car, there is a possibility that you may crash your car.
Therefore it is recommended that you put your car in NEUTRAL after you park or before you turn the car on, leave the car on NEUTRAL before turning the switch to engage the engine.
You have been warned if you accept to do this MOD.

Do it at your own risk and no one is responsible for the results beside yourself.

Recommended:

• A flashlight or something with lighting so you can see in the dark.
• An area where you have enough space to keep the driver door open.

Proper Safety Precautions:

You can disconnect the battery if you would like to, but it isn’t needed. Only reason I say disconnect the battery is because you’re going to have your door open for about 3-10 minutes depending how long it takes you to do this.

FIRST STEP:

You need to do is open the Door.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

SECOND STEP:

You need to lay down next to the pedals with your eyes looking towards the area above the pedals.

THIRD STEP:

You need to look straight up and locate where this switch/sensor insert is and then slowly pull it out without hurting your hand. There is not a lot of space in this area.

** It is supposed to be connected with one another so you have to use a little strength to remove it, as you see in the pic it is already off a tad bit, but you get where this sensor/switch is clipped on. **

FOURTH STEP:

After you remove this switch/sensor insert. You should now be able to start your car without engaging the clutch on start up.
** This is what it should look like after you remove it, white insert next to my fingers. **

FIFTH STEP:

After you have removed this insert, put your car into NEUTRAL and make sure the E-Brake is on. Your car shall now be able to be engaged without ever having to use your clutch pedal again on start ups.

WORK CITED:

• I would like to take to credit for me taking time reading up on how to do this and looking for posts/guides. Also for doing this MOD, taking pictures while trying to make a guide for others in the future who would like to know how to do this, and for friends who helped me on my previous DSM car problems.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/415543-no-clutch-mod.html

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-drivetrain/192617-how-disable-clutch-start-switch.html

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDmM5pcR1I4]How to bypass turn off eclipse talon 2g clutch - YouTube[/ame]

A few other links, I cannot locate them for some reason as I type this. One of the links comes from DSMTALK and the other link is from a supra page or something like that. Sorry for leaving your links out.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back