1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Trouble Logging In or Staying Logged In?

CLEAR YOUR BROWSER COOKIES! More info about this can be found here. If you still have trouble after clearing your browser's cookies and cache, reply to that thread and tell us what browser you're using and what device you're using.

2G Clutch Fork Snapped?!?!?

Posted by ThomasGSX, Oct 24, 2010

Please Support STM Tuned
  1. ThomasGSX

ThomasGSX Proven Member

Joined Oct 24, 2010
    Aromas, California
    Hello, I'm new to the forum, I have a 95 Eclipse GSX Primarily stock aside from a few mods and is my daily driver. But I ran into a major problem that has me stumped...

Heres what happened:

I was pulling on to my street and I push the clutch pedal in to shift into 2nd, and it seemed like a really rough engagement, then I realized my clutch pedal is stuck to the floor. I reached down and pulled it back into place, and then tried pressing it in again and it is really soft going down about half way, and then becomes stiff as a boulder, and it would not go in to any gear, it just grinds away. So I had a buddy press on the clutch, while I watch to see if the fluid moves when this happens, thinking that it may be an issue with my hydraulic system, and all of a sudden hear a big snap, and then fluid an medal parts hitting the ground, and realized that my clutch fork had snapped... :banghead:

what could have caused this issue?:confused: I searched on almost EVERY forum site, and still did not come up with anything.

What I am going to do now is replace pretty much every thing in the clutch system, (as well as a little upgrading:sneaky:) so far I ordered:

Fidanza 7.5 pound flywheel
    OEM Clutch release fork(and Pivot Fulcrum)
    OEM Release Bearing (and clip)
    Exedy Master and Slave Cylinders
    XTD stage 3 clutch kit (I know that they have a lot of bad reviews, but my car is primarily stock to it should be OK?:confused:)

is there anything else I am forgetting to buy?:hmm:

Featured Products from our Supporting Vendors

2. Colt4G63 also

Colt4G63 also Proven Member

Joined Jul 23, 2008
    Tonawanda, New York
    Get the clutch properly adjusted this time. The only reason I can think of for that is too tight of a pedal adjustment. If it bottoms out before the pedal hits the carpet, it's wrong.

My DSM:

Street Build

16g   manual
    1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4

Street Build

14b   manual
  3. ThomasGSX

ThomasGSX Proven Member

Joined Oct 24, 2010
    Aromas, California
    but the clutch worked fine before I had the issue, I push the clutch to the floor, and put it in gear...never had a problem with it.

4. Jermoturbo

Jermoturbo Proven Member

Joined Jun 17, 2006
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Don't forget the Loctite!:thumb:

5. 4g63monstr

4g63monstr Proven Member

Joined Apr 1, 2009
    Orlando, Florida
    How many miles does this car have on it? Most likely this is the clutch fork that came on the car originally from the factory. Where did the clutch fork break at? It could have been caused by a many number of things.

My DSM:
    1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

14.137 @ 97.100 MPH
  6. ThomasGSX

ThomasGSX Proven Member

Joined Oct 24, 2010
    Aromas, California
    The car has over 150,XXX miles on it but the clutch has less than 20,XXX, the clutch fork was the factory original one, and the tip sticks out of the transmission is the part that broke, approx. 2 1/2 inches in length, I would go with the belief that its just from old age, but, it doesnt explain why the pedal started acting weird, I'm thinking maybe something in the clutch area siezed or something, blocking the clutch from any movement, causing the fork not to engage, thus making the pedal rock hard? I guess I wont know for sure until I get in there...I'm just trying to prepare myself for what I might run into, but right now I'm still waiting for the parts to ship here....

haha thats for sure, thanks for the reminder!;)

I'm still quite nervous about the XTD stage 3 clutch kit though... I've heard some terrible things about these kits, but then again, most people who talk bad toward them, all have major upgrades to their cars, does anybody have any thoughts as to how they are if its for a mostly stock setup??? I cant seem to find anybody using these things on their stock gsx's:confused:

7. kmj 4g63t

kmj 4g63t Proven Member

Joined May 8, 2009
    montreal, QC, Canada
    Ya this happened to me a couple months ago and it destroyed my TOB and I was lucky it didn't do anything to my pressure plate. Get an oem Tob and slave also don't go aftermarket on those parts. MAKE SURE CLUTCH IS ADJUSTED PROPERLY!!!!!!! Here's my clutch release fork.
    33ufo5s.jpg

8. ThomasGSX

ThomasGSX Proven Member

Joined Oct 24, 2010
    Aromas, California
    holy S***!!! nah, mine did not do that, mine is broken about halfway where that oval divot is

9. kmj 4g63t

kmj 4g63t Proven Member

Joined May 8, 2009
    montreal, QC, Canada
    Ya, that's what happens when the previous owner doesn't adjust the clutch properly. When I took the slave boot off half the rod fell out with parts of the TOB. Be careful and don't half ass on anything you do, you will prevent a lot of troubles in the future.

10. ThomasGSX

ThomasGSX Proven Member

Joined Oct 24, 2010
    Aromas, California
    yeah, I plan on doing every thing good, I got the OEM release bearing because I heard the one that comes with the XTD is crap.

11. kmj 4g63t

kmj 4g63t Proven Member

Joined May 8, 2009
    montreal, QC, Canada
    Yes it's terrible, I was helping this guy with his XTD clutch kit and he was an idiot so I did it all myself. The TOB wasn't thick enough to touch the XTD pressure plate there was about 3cm of clearance between it. Got oem TOB and problem was solved.

12. ThomasGSX

ThomasGSX Proven Member

Joined Oct 24, 2010
    Aromas, California
    But does the XTD clutch itself hold up fine? Also, another question I had is about the Pivot ball, I'm following VFAQ (which is an extremely helpful site) but it does not say anything on how it is supposed to be adjusted, having done this type of job before, do you know how far it is supposed to screw in?

13. Vladimir

Vladimir Proven Member

Joined Apr 28, 2010
    Hollywood, Florida
    Check the flywheel, clutch disk, pressure plate and the throw out bearing etc.... If everything is in good condition than you can just replace the fork. instead of buying the whole clutch set.... that is if you dont want to by it...good luck

14. ThomasGSX

ThomasGSX Proven Member

Joined Oct 24, 2010
    Aromas, California
    yeah, I already bought all of those parts, I've been wanting a heavier clutch already, I guess this is just an excuse for me to do so...:sneaky: I'm kinda excited about the Fidanza 7.5lb flywheel, I heard that this makes the engine rev up way quicker, is that true?

15. eclipse001

eclipse001 Proven Member

Joined Sep 25, 2009
    racine, Wisconsin
    heres mine from about a month and a half ago
    45115_141010889268999_100000802655335_186732_640058_n.jpg

My DSM:
    1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

13.100 @ 100.630 MPH
  16. ThomasGSX

ThomasGSX Proven Member

Joined Oct 24, 2010
    Aromas, California
    Well, the last of my parts arrived today, so I will be tearing it apart this weekend, I will keep you guys posted on what ended up causing it to break,:aha:

Wish me luck!!!!:p

17. ThomasGSX

ThomasGSX Proven Member

Joined Oct 24, 2010
    Aromas, California
    with my Fidanza flywheel I bought, it is used, it arrived, and the guy I bought it from said that it should not need to be resurfaced due to the fact it is perfectly straight. however it looks like it has some glossy spots on it, it doesn't have any form of scoring or blue marks, but I heard its a good idea to rub sandpaper on it to give it a little rougher of a texture, should I do this? And if so, what grit should I use??I just do not have the money to resurface it at this time, this clutch job is draining my savings account. :sosad:

18. 99gst_racer

99gst_racer Moderator

Joined Apr 5, 2003
    Coloma, Michigan
    You can buy a brand new friction surface for the Fidanza flywheel for around $50-60. No need to resurface it. Part number 229001.

However, just because it's used doesn't necessarily mean it's not still in usable condition. It's more important that the wear is generally even around the entire friction surface. Post up a picture if you're unsure what to look for.

My DSM:
    1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST

Street Build

609.8 whp   541.2 lb/ft
  19. BoostednBlown

BoostednBlown Probationary Member

Joined Dec 6, 2018
    Camp Pendleton, California
    The clutch fork in my 2002 Lancer snapped too. Looks like the previous owner didn't adjust the clutch right.
    I can't find a replacement clutch fork online.
    Anybody know if I can use a 4G63 clutch fork or another in my 4G94? If not, I'll just take one out of a junkyard car.

My DSM:

manual
  20. dustyboner

dustyboner Proven Member

Joined Mar 13, 2016
    abq, New Mexico
    no it wont work, your car should have a concentric slave cylinder so there is not release fork

old part# MR953195
    updated part# MN168395
    upload_2018-12-6_14-36-19.png

21. BoostednBlown

Joined Dec 6, 2018
    I'm not sure what you mean. It sounds like you're saying I shouldn't have a clutch fork at all, which I do.

My DSM:

manual
  22. dustyboner

dustyboner Proven Member

Joined Mar 13, 2016
    abq, New Mexico
  23. BoostednBlown

Joined Dec 6, 2018
    I have a 2.0L and I haven't been able to find one anywhere

My DSM:

manual
  24. dustyboner

dustyboner Proven Member

Joined Mar 13, 2016
    abq, New Mexico
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  25. BoostednBlown

Joined Dec 6, 2018
    It does look the same. I'll call again tomorrow and see if it fits. Thanks a lot!

My DSM:

manual