Clicking / Ticking top of motor?

Posted by Drifter27_04, Oct 19, 2009
Bolt-on Tech - 4G63 intake, exhaust, intake manifold, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc.

1. Drifter27_04

Drifter27_04 Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    Winston Salem, North_Carolina
    I have been hearing a clicking/ticking noise for the top area of the motor after driving and assumed it was the injectors maybe and never bother to investigate. Well yesterday I was messing around with the timing belt and turned the crank over to align the timing marks and there after I starting hearing the clicking/ticking again but this time really stood out as I have no injectorsOMG in the car as my new injectors have not arrived yet. In knowing that it could be in the valve train I watched the timing marks on the cams just to see if something may move but nothing happened. Any ideas what it maybe and suggestions where to look other than the valve train area. If the lifters are bad would they cause this clicking/ticking noise?
  2. xxsupralvrxx

xxsupralvrxx Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    the lifters be a ticking noise would but I dont know if you would hear it just turning the motor over..
  3. Drifter27_04

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    Thats my thoughts also but I am confused at this time and need some suggestions what it maybe or the cause of it. All I know it started after turning the crank to align the timing marks
  4. Rob10_99

Rob10_99 Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    Ptown, Arizona
    Could it be the ISC?
  5. Drifter27_04

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    If I started the car it would be a possibility but as I mention I have no injectors at this time in the car and I turned the crank manual by hand and than the clicking/ticking started afterwards.
  6. Spoolin4Ever

Spoolin4Ever Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    Moses Lake, Washington
    Here is everything I know of that could possibly make a ticking noise when the engine turns (without burning fuel). Most of these are directly up top, but sometimes stuff sounds up top, means it could be up top instead of middle.

Notice I said possbily. I am in know way saying to go buy and replace all these parts, but test and look at everything possible.

Lifter (maybe, notr sure because I have the newer lifters), but I don't think they can because not enough pushing on them just by hand.

Harmonic balancer pulley

Water pump going out

Timing belt tensioner (hydraulic tensioner)

Timing belt tensioner pulley

Anything with a pulley attached could make a noice when turning over.

See sometimes stuff sounds like it is up top but it is not alwys the case.
  7. Drifter27_04

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    Thanks for mentioning all possibilities it may be but I have checked the timing belt area and it seems fine but I will double check to be sure. I will be taking the valve cover off also and checking over all the valve train making sure there as well. I hope to have this done over the weekend and I will tell m findings if any at that time.

What makes me think its on the valve train is that after driving it the noise it somewhat louder than opposed to turning the motor manually, in which making me think that what every it might be is building pressure and than releasing it when the motor is seating.

But anymore suggestions is more than welcomed
  8. Rob10_99

Rob10_99 Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    Ptown, Arizona
    ISC is on your Throttle body, your missing injectors have nothing to do with it :D
  9. Drifter27_04

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    Correct, but how would the ISC be affected when manually turning motor over by hand:confused: