The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Cipher Racing Harness Bar

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tylersevo

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 12, 2011
Lexington, Kentucky
Wasn't 100% sure where to post this so bare with me...Looking for a bolt in harness bar and came across a page called dsmparts that cites a 48in bar as the correct unit for the 2g dsm. Can anyone confirm this fits correctly? Thanks

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I forgot about that, by the way I thought your avatar actually was my car haha. That look identical from the fron

Attachments

• IMG_20161024_091128.jpg
    IMG_20161024_091128.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 282
Mine is similar except my bar is silver. I tossed Loc-Tite on the bolts and got everything snug before I tightened it all down.

I don't recall it coming with instructions but I believe there's a video on their website. I was trying to install the darn thing backwards at first before I stopped and looked. I nearly cried when someone suggested taking out my front seats to do it. (I'd rather die than deal with those evil Evo seats again.)

I tried to delete my comment in time. I thought that was all that was holding it on at first because the excess was rolled up in two different lengths. Then I zoomed in LOL. I have seen some pretty scary "safety" mods before so sometimes my eyes just see the worst case scenario haha

Thanks for the pics I appreciate it! Got some Status carbon kevlar seats going in and I'm not ready for the full cage life yet so this will do the trick.

Just want to point out, running a 4 or 5 point harness without a cage is a big safety issue in the event of a rollover. Hopefully none of you find out the hard way but, if the roof gets crushed there's no where for your head/neck/spine to go because you're strapped into your seat. Where as with a 3 point seat belt (OE) you can roll in towards the center naturally and not worry about spinal compression.

It's still possible to run a stock belt with racing seats until you're ready for the roll cage life. I used the rear seat female seat belt connector and welded a plate to the floor, then drilled and tapped it out for the OE bolt. Then just threaded the stock belt through the seats...

I'm not telling you guys what to do, just reconsider running a harness on the street without a cage. Worse case scenario you roll over and it's lights out...

First off I think that work looks excellent, and I would to talk to you more about that staging brake. I do on the other hand disagree with that statement to some extent. First I think you are in trouble in a crash that severe without a cage no matter what, second I believe by only running a 4 point you are able to submarine almost as much you do with a factory 3 point. I find the advantage of a 4 point in a road course situation out ways the dis advantage.

First off I think that work looks excellent, and I would to talk to you more about that staging brake.
Thanks, I wish I could take credit for the fab work but I go to a local guy who does a great job of doing what I ask him to do and making it work. If you'd like more info about the stage brake install, i.e., plumbing, hardware, or more photos shoot me a PM...

I do on the other hand disagree with that statement to some extent. First I think you are in trouble in a crash that severe without a cage no matter what, second I believe by only running a 4 point you are able to submarine almost as much you do with a factory 3 point. I find the advantage of a 4 point in a road course situation out ways the dis advantage.
I agree, odds of walking away from a rollover unscathed are slim to none but if it were to ever happen the odds of your survival tank running a bucket racing seat and harness without a cage. If you "submarine" out your 4pt because the roof is crushing you down then the head trauma is already done from your initial impact, theoretically speaking.
That being said, I agree with you that there's an advantage to be had when you're not slipping/sliding around trying to make a hard turn, but how often are you using your 4 point harness on the street taking advantage of it?

Again, this isn't meant to start an argument because it's what you prefer and what you want to risk. I just wanted to bring it to the attention of others that may open up this thread interested in getting a 4 or 5pt harness unaware that there's some risk involved without having a cage (which can also be dangerous driving on the street). At least you guys are running a harness bar and properly mounting them in your car!

Thanks, I wish I could take credit for the fab work but I go to a local guy who does a great job of doing what I ask him to do and making it work. If you'd like more info about the stage brake install, i.e., plumbing, hardware, or more photos shoot me a PM...

I agree, odds of walking away from a rollover unscathed are slim to none but if it were to ever happen the odds of your survival tank running a bucket racing seat and harness without a cage. If you "submarine" out your 4pt because the roof is crushing you down then the head trauma is already done from your initial impact, theoretically speaking.
That being said, I agree with you that there's an advantage to be had when you're not slipping/sliding around trying to make a hard turn, but how often are you using your 4 point harness on the street taking advantage of it?

Again, this isn't meant to start an argument because it's what you prefer and what you want to risk. I just wanted to bring it to the attention of others that may open up this thread interested in getting a 4 or 5pt harness unaware that there's some risk involved without having a cage (which can also be dangerous driving on the street). At least you guys are running a harness bar and properly mounting them in your car!

A very valid point indeed. I took this into consideration given what I do with the car and came to the realization that in any notable accident on the street, the likelihood of me walking away is slim. Given the car's already poor side impact protection, along with the fact that I've removed the bumper supports, and you have a recipe for a bad time in anything more substantial than a fender-bender. As you mentioned, each person needs to evaluate their own risk tolerance and decide for themselves.

I know this thread is a little old, but I have a couple questions about it.

In this post, it looks like the harness bar bolts into the oem seat belt mounts on the B-Pillars, is that how it bolts in?

On second look, I think the picture answers that question. Does it have to bolt into that location? If so, would I be able to use longer bolts for the upper and lower oem seat belt anchor points to keep the oem belt in for daily use, and the harness for autoX? Just wouldn't want to have to use the harness daily or constantly install/remove the bar just to run on the track.

I was/am looking into this as well. First off speed daddy/DNA sells a decent piece for $93 shipped but they've been out of stock in black for a few months now.
These bars are designed that you can still retain stock seat belts if you choose (bar bracket using the same bolt as the stock belt as you surmised) Not sure if the supplied bolts are long enough though and once in a while you may have to cut the plastic cover on the b pillar a bit. Other times you may need some spacers if the bar is too short. Even though its not as clean looking, if you use your seatbelts on a daily basis I would highly recommend retaining the stockers because racing harnesses are terrible for street driving. Even leaning forward to check both ways is a PITA. My Tanaka harness can be bolted into the stock rear belt locations and still be safe but I do like the look of a bar. I also plan on keeping the stock seats as they're in mint condition and I think the 2ga cloth are the most comfortable and hold you well. I hate sliding around on the leather of my awd seats
I got a quote from s&w racecars for a 4 point custom cage (with harness bar) for $170. Problem with cages is shipping cost (at least $100) and paying someone to install it. I have a tenant who welds (I can just knock it off his rent so no out of pocket) and s&w is about 1.5 hours from my house (pick up) so Im still deciding what to do.

I just have this justification I use for buying car stuff, that everything that I put in a DSM can be removed and put into another DSM if something happens and I've done it a few times now. A welded in cage would be a bi*** to remove, and the autopower bolt in cage is ridiculously priced. Plus I'd most likely lose the rear speakers (have to build another enclosure) and back seat. So yeah, personally I'm waiting to see if SD/DNA gets more in stock to help ease my decision. It sucks because they were originally only out of black and chrome but had blue and red in stock but I didn't want to paint it, now they don't have any. If I can get the bar for less than $100 I'll probably do that. I just can't live with paying the same amount for a bar as I would a 4 point cage. Sorry for the rambling, if you do get it post some pics after install!

Last edited:
Yeah, my main concern is keeping oem belts with the bar. I've been in a street car with only a harness, even for the front passenger, and I didn't like it. Racing is one thing, but not for daily. Thanks for the info, I'll look into them as well.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back