The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Check out my new no-weld DIY fan shroud for my 1g mishimoto..

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geeb

Proven Member
Apr 6, 2016
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Just finished the new shroud. Will fit 2 12s, like most others.. Once I fit them up I will cut the holes and bolt holes and such..

I got a big piece of galvanized steel and measured the height and width of the opening only in the radiator.

Cut it with and extra (about) 1 1/4" on each side (plus another 1/2" to bend it all the way overlapping to leave no sharp edges) in a kind of "+" shape so I could bend it in an open box shape. I took it to my neighbors friends shop hes a metal worker and he made the bends for me to make them straight

After I got the bends all correct, I scotch taped all the outside corners closed, just to give it a backing, and on the inside i filled the gaps with jb weld (again just using the tape as an initial backing, see close up pics below) then used L brackets to further brace the corners, with 1/4 inch self-tapping screws. The L brackets had a little obstruction in the corner so I grinded them smooth on the inside.. I'm sure you can get them without this, but i already had these. So I made them work.

Then I got some heavier gauge sheet metal and cut little brackets out of it and measured the bolt holes from the center out and drilled them, then measured the center of the holes to the edge of the shroud and made bends where they met

Then I sanded the meeting places with 60 grit, and set the unfinished shroud in place, along with the bent brackets to make sure everything met up where i wanted it to, bolted the brackets to the radiator individually, and everything fit great first time. (Phew.. *wipes swear off forehead*)

Then I took some more JB and jb welded them all in place, unbolted one bracket at a time, threw some jb on the rough sanded meeting places, stuck them on and bolted them back in place to make sure they would stay that way where they're supposed to. I then let it all dry for about 30 mins (using jb "kwik weld", 2 part mixture.. it sets fast.. So only mix a small ammout at a time.)

Then I unbolted the whole thing and they stuck where they were supposed to, but i still took 2 self tappers per bracket and threw them in to make sure it wouldn't go anywhere.

Once I had them in, voila, everything fit great. The only thing I have to do is wait for my 2 12" fans to get here, and when they do I'll cut the holes and drill the bolt holes.. But so far so good...

Oh yeah I also threw some soft weatherstripping where it meets the radiator to delete any noise vibration or anything like that..

...but I do have a question..
Once I'm done cutting out the fan holes, should I cut louvers in between like some aftermarket ones come with? Or just keep it simple like the mishimoto shrouds come...?

Seems like adding louvers would help flow since the fans being on the inside, make it a pull setup.. Or would it just make a dead zone of air flow, like the fans pull air through the louvers and back into the fan and back into the louvers etc etc, Instead of pulling it straight through the radiator...

Hmm.. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

Attachments

• 0407171822.jpg
    0407171822.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 246
  • 0407171822a.jpg
    0407171822a.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 223
  • 0407171822b.jpg
    0407171822b.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 223
I was a little worried about sharp screw parts sticking through the inside but I used tiny 1/4" self taps so they don't interfere with anything.

Anyone have any comments on the louver or no louver question at the end of my post?

Mishimoto doesn't use them but like I said some other custom made ones do... So I dunno if mishi ditched the idea because they don't help, or because they didn't feel like doing it LOL.

But thanks jamel. I'll throw up some more pics when i get the fans in. Just cheap eBay ones. 2 for 30 bucks LOL. Shipped out of California but probably Chinese made. Most people say even with the cheapest of fans, as long as theyre shrouded it makes a big difference.

I'd just keep it simple, no louvers. If you make a second only thing I'd change is the square corner sides. I'd try angled side style by slitting the corners diagonally instead of cutting the 1.25" x 1.25 " corner joints. Kind of like picture framing it. The angled area the volume is incrementally getting smaller the closer to the edge which should create a little more draw and help even things out & utilize more of the radiator's total area.

Last edited:
From what I have read on here, not from personal experience, 1 SPAL fan will move more than (2) ebay fans. Also, be sure to allow easy enough air flow for air to flow through the radiator at speed. You may even need to open up the sides a bit.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/i-want-ac-fmic-ducting-and-cooling-fans.510532/

He did something similar and had to open it up at speed.

Fab work looks nice though! I wish you woulda welded that ^&$%. Would look real slick.

From what I have read on here, not from personal experience, 1 SPAL fan will move more than (2) ebay fans. Also, be sure to allow easy enough air flow for air to flow through the radiator at speed. You may even need to open up the sides a bit.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/i-want-ac-fmic-ducting-and-cooling-fans.510532/

He did something similar and had to open it up at speed.

Fab work looks nice though! I wish you woulda welded that ^&$%. Would look real slick.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Yeah with the shroud and only 1 fan it cooled way better than with no shroud when driving in town. It was too much blockage at highway speed though. I ended up going no shroud with 1 SPAL puller fan and 1 ebay/amazon (cuz I already had it) pusher. Seems to be working well for now, still waiting for hot weather to really test it.

Last edited:
I'd just keep it simple, no louvers.

Like doubleclutch said, I'm also concerned about high speed cooling. Seems louvers might help on that factor.

Yeah with the shroud and only 1 fan it cooled way better than with no shroud when driving in town. It was too much blockage at highway speed though.

I am going with 2 12s. I'm assuming you couldn't fit 2 with the shroud between that amazingly sick manifold and that awesomely thick radiator. I would lovelovelove to get spals but at like 100+ a piece Im just going to have to test out some chEapBAY fans for now.

Btw. Off topic. I love how youve got an fittings all over your coolant ports. So sick. How much power are you making on that hx35? Assuming your still using it...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back