The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Chatter/Warbling During Acceleration Only In 3-4-5

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randman2011

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 26, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
I'll start off by saying that I don't know too much about DSM transmissions. This is a 1995 TSi AWD with ~130k miles. I've had the car since Feb 2014 and haven't touched the transmission except to change the flywheel and change the fluid (MT90/MTL). There is a chatter that comes from the transmission when I'm accelerating or cruising. It goes away when I'm decelerating and can only be heard above ~1500 RPM. It is loudest in 3rd and 4th, not as bad in 5th, and completely inaudible in 1-2. I can't tell about reverse and I'm kind of curious, but it's already so loud...

I'm graduating college and moving to start a new job, so being without a car really isn't an option. I don't know if I should expect the whole transmission to be shot or if it just needs a bearing or something. I'm guessing my options are fix it myself if I know what the problem is and it's easy for a complete transmission novice with nothing more than jack stands, have it rebuilt here in town, or order a new (to me) W5M33-2-NPZT. Anyone have any input or advice? Is there a bearing that 3, 4, and 5 have in common?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back