The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Changing internal wastegate to external

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel393racing

Probationary Member
Feb 25, 2013
Northville, New_York
Okay so theirs a internal wastegate that was on my car and I don't believe it's working at all. I want to switch from that to a external turbonectics WG. But I know it can't be juss as easy as taking it on and putting the external on. Help!

Well I have a t3/t4 garret turbo was internal wastegate. I believe the exhaust manifold doesn't have to be changed because their is a spot for the wastegate to be bolted on. But the clip from the internal wastegate is still their, I would have to weld that one shut? Then just run the vac. Lines from the turbo to the new setup right?

Okay well i will get some pics shortly of the manifold and the turbo setup, along with the clip under neith the turbo where the internal wastegate was..any major changes i will need to make for this conversion?

Yes i have the spot where the external WG will bolt up on the manifold, but the only thing to do after that is to weld the old internal WG shut and then the external WG will be set to go...Ill post some pics for better reference soon, Thankss !

Yes i have the spot where the external WG will bolt up on the manifold, but the only thing to do after that is to weld the old internal WG shut and then the external WG will be set to go...Ill post some pics for better reference soon, Thankss !

Sounds like you don't have to get a different manifold.

Okay mounting external WG later today. Haven't figured out the plan but will ###### just tack weld the flapper shut on the outside of the turbo. That will do the trick right?

Alright so mounted external WG, ran vac lines. and wire tied flapper on internal WG for now. Reset the computer and now the car runs better, but heres the thing. if you start the car and hit the gas, it will rev up to 8 1/2, 9 grand with no problem and will happen repeatedly until you let it under 4 grand, after that it will not rev over 4 grand. i shut the car off, then started it again, keept it over 4 grand and she would rev out to 9 gs. didnt let it under 4 grand and took it for a ride, it ran goodd, barely any hesitation in throttle response and the car boosted and pulled hard through gears, but once i let off and let it idle back down anywhere under 4 grand, the car would not rev out until it was shut off again. basically (starting and running good over 4 grand, once under 4 gs for 1 sec. the car will not rev out again until shut off) what is going on?!! :ohdamn:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back