The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

CF hood care

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlanZero

Proven Member
Aug 13, 2013
Easton, Pennsylvania
I have a carbon creations hood. It's a piece of crap and I hate it. That being said I noticed some spots forming all over the hood the other day, only visible from certain angles. I have a heat shield under it, it's parked in the garage and Ive only used meguiars cleaner wax on it once so far. My guess would be the gel coat is reacting to heat cycles. I noticed the spots shortly after the first long trip I took with the hood. I can't buff these spots out and you can't see them in photos. Reminds me of oil/coolant tainted water puddles, like rainbowish if that makes any sense, and they're all bigger than 50¢ pieces. I tried ultimate compound but I'm hesitant to try anything that cuts on this finish, ntm I'm pretty sure it's starting from underneath (Im also no detail pro by any means and Im not paying anyone to polish this turd)The clear seems super thin and( I believe) the gel coat isn't even smooth. The whole hood has a slight ripple to the finish.
So what do people use on their cf products? Anybody else with this problem/solutions? I use black wax on the rest of the car and I've been curious as to what it would look like on a cf hood. These spots look like ass and if they continue to form I'm not sure what route to take. Again, I'm not going to pay to have it painted, re cleared, whatever because it's crap quality overall. Worst case maybe I can wrap it with black or cf wrap LOL
I only bought this brand over seibon because it was in stock and I needed a replacement asap. Plus it had a good recent review and supposedly good customer service. The hood I got must've been old stock. Many imperfections, no wiper holes (just dimples, which means you can't just leave them out) and the usual fitment nightmares that come with a 20 year old front end. Also a nice chip in the clear coat. CFH gave me $50 back for that, so it cost me just under $400 shipped. What's worse is it was basically free (proceeds from an insurance check) so to spend the extra couple hundred for seibon wouldn't make a difference. I know all low level cf/fiberglass products have imperfections and problems, and I was OK with looking at it from 5' away but now these spots are driving me nuts.

Also, stupid question, can you drive through an automated car wash (not touchless) with a cf hood with hood pins? I don't have time to hand wash all the time but I've been wary.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back