The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G CEL codes

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordan97

Proven Member
Jun 25, 2015
Onamia, Minnesota
Hey guys, I just recently bought a 99 GSX and the check engine light is on but the guy said it was because of minor things that don't matter.. Well there are 7 cel codes and I've been doing research as to what they are and what I might need in order to make the cel go away.
P0170 - o2 sensor
P0125 - o2 sensor
P0100 - intake leak
P0110 - dirty/ bad MAFS
P1104 - turbo waste gate solenoid
P1105 - fuel pressure solenoid
P0442 - fuel cap

Now, I think P0100 could be an old code caused because of a leak in the stock bov, I replaced the bov with a greddy type rs with a 2g flange adapter.

I also think P0110 could be an old code because I unhooked the MAF sensor to work on the bov.

As for the other codes, I want to replace what I need. Which would be an o2 sensor, a fuel cap, a FPS, and a waste gate solenoid. My question is where can I get that stuff? (Not the fuel cap) I've been trying to look them up on Google, but I can't find anything..

Any links or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
Hey guys, I just recently bought a 99 GSX and the check engine light is on but the guy said it was because of minor things that don't matter.. Well there are 7 cel codes and I've been doing research as to what they are and what I might need in order to make the cel go away.
P0170 - o2 sensor
P0125 - o2 sensor
P0100 - intake leak
P0110 - dirty/ bad MAFS
P1104 - turbo waste gate solenoid
P1105 - fuel pressure solenoid
P0442 - fuel cap

Now, I think P0100 could be an old code caused because of a leak in the stock bov, I replaced the bov with a greddy type rs with a 2g flange adapter.

I also think P0110 could be an old code because I unhooked the MAF sensor to work on the bov.

As for the other codes, I want to replace what I need. Which would be an o2 sensor, a fuel cap, a FPS, and a waste gate solenoid. My question is where can I get that stuff? (Not the fuel cap) I've been trying to look them up on Google, but I can't find anything..

Any links or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

P0170 - This could be because of a bad O2 sensor. Use whatever tool you are reading the codes with to see if the O2 is cycling at idle.

P0125 - This is related to coolant temperature. Again, use whatever tool you are reading the code with to see the coolant temperature. If it is reading strangely, inspect the wiring. If that checks out, replace the sensor.

P0100 & P0110 - Did you start the car while you have the MAF disconnected? If so, these are both likely from that. If not, check the connection to your MAF sensor. On these cars, the IAT is built into the MAF.

P1104 & P1105 - These may have been removed completely by the Previous owner. Need to inspect the solenoids.

P0442 - Possibly fuel cap but could be and EVAP leak somewhere else. A shop can smoke test it to find out.

I went to a parts store and they read the codes for me, I just wrote them down. I am new to dsm's and don't no much about repairing cars.. Yes I did start the car while the MAF sensor was disconnected.. I don't know where the solenoids are or what they even are.. And I will try the fuel cap first.

I went to a parts store and they read the codes for me, I just wrote them down.

OK. In that case with as many codes as you have i would recommend investing in an OBDII code reader/scantool. It will help to be able to clear the codes after a fix is made and see if the codes come back.

I am new to dsm's and don't no much about repairing cars.. Yes I did start the car while the MAF sensor was disconnected..

If so then I would say the MAF and IAT codes are from that. Don't worry about them.

I don't know where the solenoids are or what they even are.. And I will try the fuel cap first.

Start here my friend.

http://members.shaw.ca/dsm.1000q/Engineprimer/2G/index.htm

I am on a really low budget right now just trying to make my cel go away as cheap as possible, so I may not be able to buy a code reader, but can't I just unhook the negative part of the battery for a little while and that will reset the ecu? I know where the FPS is from research, but how do I check if it is bad? If it is bad, where can I buy one? I can't find it anywhere.. And after looking at that link do I need to check the wastegate solenoid or wastegate actuator? How do I know if it is bad? If it is bad, where can I get one? Thanks for the help, appreciate it.

I am on a really low budget right now just trying to make my cel go away as cheap as possible, so I may not be able to buy a code reader, but can't I just unhook the negative part of the battery for a little while and that will reset the ecu? I know where the FPS is from research, but how do I check if it is bad? If it is bad, where can I buy one? I can't find it anywhere.. And after looking at that link do I need to check the wastegate solenoid or wastegate actuator? How do I know if it is bad? If it is bad, where can I get one? Thanks for the help, appreciate it.

I understand tight budgets. Just a cheap reader will work. Here

You'll have to search the forums to see how to test the FPR. I don't know that one. Is yours there and plugged in? Are the vac lines going to it? Same goes for the waste gate solenoid.

I can just unhook my battery for a few min tho, can't I? Yes my FPS is there, it looks clean, everything looks hooked up.. As for the waste gate solenoid I am still not sure where it is because the link u sent me just said waste gate actuator...

Also, I forgot to mention, my car feels like its not getting enough fuel. Like its not as fast as it should be and it feels like its losing power or fuel. And I smell gas when I start it. A friend told me to buy NGK spark plugs, I did just havent changed them yet.

So yesterday my engine blew on my 96 spyder gs and I'm gonna sell it but I am wondering if I could take the o2 sensor and FPS right off of there? Will they fit my 99 GSX?

A CEL for the waste gate is caused by the solenoid not the actuator. Do you have a boost controller? If you have a boost controller you don't use the solenoid anymore but it still needs to be plugged in or you will get the CEL. The solenoid is located on the frame down below the air filter area.

So I cleared the codes and checked them again and the only 2 that came up was P1104 and P1105. Which is the fps and waste gate solenoid. I checked the hoses and they're fine. Do I need these solenoids? My car is running like crap. I might have a boost leak which I'm hoping to get checked soon.. I just need someone's advice and/opinion. The boost leak may be from my flange on my bov, so I am getting new intercooler piping soon..

Don't know much about 2g cars but if you replaced the stock bypass valve for an aftermarket blowoff valve that may cause an issue. The stock units recirculate the air back into the intake where as the aftermarket ones usually all just vents the excess air. The maf is looking for that excess air so if doesn't see it the ecu may adjust the fuel injectors.

It seems as though you're pretty much stock, so you probably find the OEM replacements somewhere if you want to stay low on cost. I apologize in advance if this is redundant but, check hoses, clamps.. etc.

My aftermarket bov is recirculated into the intake.. And yes all stock except for the bov. I had to replace it because the stock one was leaking.. And he gave me a greddy type rs with the car when I bought it

Now there is a hole in my exhaust almost by the muffler.. And my car is slower ever since I seen that hole. Idk if that could be the cause, but I need a cheap way to fix the hole. Any ideas

It's a turbo car, a hole before the exhaust isn't going to cause any issues. These cars don't need or want back pressure in the exhaust. Cheap fixes turn into expensive ones. But a soda can and some large hose clamps will get you by.

Its just weird how its slower ever since I found the hole, but its probably one of my pre-existing problems.. Which was a leak in the bov because the flange I bought didn't fit in the stock pipes that well, so I'm going to look at a fmic soon and if its nice I'm getting it, mainly for the flange and hard piping..hopefully that will fix the leak in the bov

So far I have replaced the pcv valve and spark plugs. I still need to change the o2 sensor, its just in a hard spot to reach. Hopefully after the fmic and o2 sensor are on it'll run better

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back