The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Car won't shift into any Gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dammitblnk182

Probationary Member
Oct 31, 2005
Plano, Texas
Ok. Recently I have replaced my clutch because of having burned both the clutch and the flywheel up when racing. So after the new clutch was installed. My car can't shift into any gears while the engine is turned on. Although, it can shift when the engine is off, so I don't think the syncros have any problems. My performance shop says that it might be the syncros or resurfacing the flywheel though. My flywheel and clutch are new though and are the stock widths so they don't need to be resurfaced. Also, I called ACT and the said that 95% of the problems with engagement of the clutch is because the torque for the pressure plate to flywheel must be 25 lb/ft! My pedal pressure is fine now! I have replaced everything new; the master cylinder, slacve cylinder, clutch line, bleed the clutch a lot, and adjusted the pedal. My mechanic says there's nothing wrong with the pedal or fork. It's a new clutch so there should be nothing wrong with it and also it doesn't need to be resurfaced. I don't know what else i can do to make my car shift into gears, there is pedal pressure so I don't know what's wrong. I really don't want to pay for a transmission rebuild. Please help!

Have your tried bleeding your clutch? I had this same problem in my old eclipse. When the car was running it would not phyically let me shift into any gear. But when my car was off I was able to go threw the gears with no problem.

Does the clutch pressure feel light in any way? If it feels like there is a lack of pressure you may have air bubbles in your lines. When I bled my clutch, it fixed my problem right away.

Also as a general rule of thumb, if the car is able to go threw gears when the car is off NOT on, its generally a CLUTCH problem. If you are NOT able to shift gears while the car is ON or OFF, its generally a tranny problem.

i m pretty sure i know what your problem is. i had the same problem with my 91 tsi. your clutch fork isnt pushing the fingers on the pressure plate far enough done. so in turn not allowing the clutch to engage. the solution is to take the transmission out, take the clutch fork off the pivot ball, take the pivot ball out and put a washer under the pivot ball. this will solve your problem. try it and see if it works. good luck.

Mr4G Thx for the info! I think u might be right; I'm goin see if that works soon. and TooFastTooG I have bleed my clutch plenty. I bleed unilt i wasted a pint of oil and the clutch was bleeding out the new oil. Thank you for all your help guys. I'm going to try your ideas and get back to you to tell if it worked. But if anyone has any more ideas your opinions are definetly welcome!

try adjusting that rod before your pull the tranny and put a washer behind the pivot ball. Both will probably work, but one way keeps you from having to remove the tranny again.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back