The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Car Won't Idle Or go Past 3 grand!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conkid

Probationary Member
Jan 24, 2006
Marshfield, Wisconsin
Hey all I have a 1997 Eagle Talon TSI AWD. Yesterday I left my headlights on and when a buddy and me went to start it we crossed the battery cables. I hadn't realized this so i tried to start it a couple times and then realized what went wrong. I charged the battery for about 10 min just to creep it home at which point it was running extremely sluggish. I later found out that the 100 Amp fuse had blown connected to the fuse box under the hood. Now all of the electrical problems seem to be solved because I not only got a new fuse but a brand new battery. The new battery and fuse starts the car and makes it run and all of the electronics work right, but the car definitely does not. The car will not idle itself at all, so any time i take my foot off of the gas the tach will drop to about 100 rpms. Also the car won't let me take it past 3 grand in any of the 5 gears. It's a manual by the way. So when i drive it i've been just keeping the idle by myself and using my feet alot for multiple petals. I only had to do that to get it home and now it is parked. Any ideas of what the problem could be? I have heard i could have damaged the computer? Not sure maybe theres a fuse? Any help would be appreciated!

I would check the ECU. It's probably cooked if your car is stock and it won't idle/drive.

Find a friend with a DSM and swap 'em out real quick or go to a junk yard and get one.

That's probably what happened. Sorry about your luck.

Electrical problems are always hard to find. I would suggest taking it to a mechanic and seeing if a scan will bring up any blown out sensors. Unless you want to probe around and try changing part by part until you come across the right one.

i had sorta the same problem in my 95 gst. i had an eprom ecu if it makes any difference. first pull out your ecu and carefully open it up. with the pins facing away from you look at the very top left of the pc board. there is a ground path there and with a magnifying glass it you have bad eyes check and see if the path is broken. if so you can either take it to a electrical shop or you can carefully scratch the copper path and solder a jumper wire in its old path that should solve your problem if it is in fact the ground path. anyone else chime in please if my reply is wrong

We trailored the car home because now it won't even start. I was wondering if the ECU being shot would stop the car from running. When i turn the key on the fuel pump engages but does not seem to be working right. Could this be ECU related? Where do i find the ecu?

The ecu runs the whole car. If there is something bad in it, then it could make your car not run. It is found behind and under the radio.

Alright guys, here's whats been going on.
I got home last weekend to work on the car and figured out that the coil pack was what was stopping the car from starting. Now the car turns over starts runs and drives but there is little to no response from the gas and the car still does not idle itself...pretty confused!

Alright, here's the update on my POS, i mean talon. We trailored it home, and my buddy gave me a used coil pack. When we installed the coil pack the car started again and ran but it runs very sluggish and the tach is always at 0 rpm in neutral or just at an idle. When I start the car without any gas it turns over and starts but runs very very sluggish and shaky at an idle. And the tach reads 0. When i put it in first gear and take off the pedal has to be about half way to the floor before i can release the clutch and the tach is at about 1 grand. I'm sure the tach is off because when i drive the car i have to have the gas about all the way to the floor and for example i'll shift out of first gear when the tach says 2 grand and the blow off valve will go off pretty loud... When i used to drive the car when it was running vine the BOV wouldn't go off til between 3 and 4 grand. So this leads me to believe the tach is off, but there is still no acceleration in the car and in each gear i can go up to about 3 grand. I've just put in new NGK plugs and wires BPR6ES's, I installed a used coil pack that my friend gave me. The car had also brought up an error code since i owned it from the Check Engine light saying there was something wrong with my catalatic converter, but whether the problems are related i'm not sure, and i don't really think they are. Currently the new parts i've put into this car are, plugs, wires, water pump, oil pressure sensor, master and slave clutch cylinders, and thats about it for under the hood, or at least all i can think of now, any help appreciated guys!

Check the timing and make sure you have the spark plugs in the correct firing order if you are missing, sounds like your in limp mode though.

sorry to tell you this but like everyone above me I strongly believe your ecu is toasted my friend had something very similar happen to his civic. That is why you don't jump start a manual you push start it ladies and gents its much safer imo.

Okay i just wanted to double check firing order, i've looked at a ton of forums....
my car specifically 97 talon tsi awd

from left to right standing in front of the car

coil pack

Head

right? no changes in 97 from other 2gs?

well i wish my order was off, but it's definately not. alright so here's what happened yesterday...
i pulled out the old ecu and showed my friend it and opened it up and it was the ground that had broke. I managed to come across a non eprom( the kind i took out) ecu from a 99 tsi awd eclipse that i put in. Some of the problems went away and the car starts pretty fast but when it starts there is this loud squealing noise coming from underneath the hood, like the car just isn't running right. So i've replaced plugs wires and ecu and now theres some new issue arrising. Anytime i push the gas down it seems more responsive but the loud squealing noise coming from under the hood is kind of unbareable and i'm not sure it should be driven like this? i haven't drove it yet i don't know if theres anything i need to do resetting the ecu but i don't think that should matter too much? thanks for any more ideas

I ran a scan today using palm n stein and the errors it showed were
P0400 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Plow Malfunction
P0196 Engine Oil Temperature Sensor Range/Performance
P03FF- Ignition System or Misfire

so everything seems to be working right now, it just squeels really bad? I don't know how the 2g altenators are tightend(if they're a manual or hydraulic tensioner) but on my 1g, that loud squeeling sound comes from my altenator belt. Just check to make sure the belts tight, and if it is then I'm not sure what would cause it.

Alright, so i found out that cylinder 2 & 3 are not firing right. Maybe something with the used coil pack?

hmmm have a feeling from the other posts it might be the ignition module which could definately make since! gonna swap with a friends and find out tonight, will keep you all posted..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back