Car Wobbles While Driving

Posted by jthomp, Oct 9, 2003
Newbie Forum - Beginner DSM modification questions and discussions. Common, repetitive, and general discussions will get dumped here from other tech forums. Unless you're a Probationary member you shouldn't post threads here.

1. jthomp

jthomp Proven Member

Carlisle, Pennsylvania
    Alright everyone out there in DSM land, I have a problem I can't diagnose. When doing highway driving, there is a wobble I feel in the wheel and in the front end of the car. When driving in the city or at slower speeds, it's not noticeable. I have had an alignment recently, as well as the tires mounted and blanced. The question I have is, what the heck is it? My most educated guess is that it probably has something to to with the brakes. Wether it be rotors or something. else. Any comments or suggestions would be great. Thanks...

I also just want to add that the car is lowered about two inches front and rear with intrax springs. KYB's, and 18 racing hart wheels. Hope that helps...

2. DivineLP

DivineLP Proven Member

, --_United_States
    get strut bars?

3. Defiant

Defiant DSM Wiseman

DSM Profiles:
    glorious Galt, California
    Possible blown shock, or a blister on the inner tire sidewall.

4. jthomp

jthomp Proven Member

Carlisle, Pennsylvania
    Strut bars? Never thought of that. Any possibility that this may help the wobble?

5. DSM_23

DSM_23 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Springfield, Missouri
    i have the same problem, mine does it the worst between 50-70 mph, and it started as soon as i got my new 17's and i got alignment, balance, etc.

6. Defiant

Defiant DSM Wiseman

DSM Profiles:
    It's not likely, but it'd be a cheap experiment. What wheels are you running, how far from stock specs are they?

7. jthomp

jthomp Proven Member

Carlisle, Pennsylvania
    My wheels are racing hart c2 evo's. 18 inch. I don't know the exact specs off the top of my head. My car is a GS so you know it came with 16's. I don't know what it could be. My best guess is a warped rotor or something like that.

8. Posiden

Posiden Proven Member

, ArizonaUS
    jthomp, did you have any luck diagnosing the wobble problem? My 99 GS does the same thing. Im still trying to figure out why its happening

9. jthomp

jthomp Proven Member

Carlisle, Pennsylvania
    No idea. I'm thinking of buying a new car anyway, something faster. Maybe something German, so the wobble is not top priority...

10. Defiant

Defiant DSM Wiseman

DSM Profiles:
    Warped rotors won't usually induce wobble other than during braking. I'll bet stock-spec wheels would fix it.

11. jott5555

jott5555 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    salem, Oregon
    check your tie rod ends check your steering rack and pinon, its in there man, honestly its probally a messed up 2 dollar busing,

check em

12. EHeye

EHeye Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    , B.C.Canada
    possibly a front caliper in the front may possibly be seized. Put car on jack stands or on a lift, put in neutral and give tires a spin, they should spin freely if no brakes on and in neutral, if not the caliper is stuck. Do not try this on an AWD, well you could but its not very accurate.

13. jthomp

jthomp Proven Member

Carlisle, Pennsylvania
    Solved my wobble problem. Sold the car. In turn, I bought a 99 GS-T. Never modded and in great condition. I will be the one doing the modding. Thanks for all your help everybody...:dsm:

14. TurboAxe

TurboAxe Proven Member

, MississippiUS
    Hey,
    Did you get a Camber correction kit on the car you got rid of.? just wondering. I noticed you got another gst. If you lower the car more that an ince you're going to definitley get a camber kit. My 95 gst had the same problem, except the rear was wobbling more. Typically the porblem is worse in the rear. I have a 1-1/2" drop and put a camer correction kit on the rear only and it solved my problem.

I just thought you might want to think about that if you lower this one.

Later

15. jthomp

jthomp Proven Member

Carlisle, Pennsylvania
    thanks for the heads up...