The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

car starts but dies when given gas

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pezlow

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 27, 2009
Atlanta arera, Georgia
ok i looked at the other topics but no help ### not the same... sorry. first i have a 1991 eagle talon tsi awd that i bought for 1500 and it has a few mods but im not sure on all of them. well the problem is that the car starts and idles alittle but if you give it gas and try to drive it dies. it started when the guy i bought it from let some idiot over boost it and when he did that it popped off one of the intercooler pipes and died on them well they towed it home and after that the problem started. the guy checked the compression and he said that was fine he checked the valve sprigs there ok he checked to make sure the intercooler pipes were all on and tightened. he thinks that it might be that an injector came out but i dont think that could be possible ### the car wouldnt start and you could see the gas fly everywhere. im not sure what it could be. ### help. thanks

For the clutch you have to bleed it. You bleed it just like you would with brakes, and the fitting is right on the slave cylinder. As for the running issues, do you think maybe your injectors / fuel filter is clogged?

ok thanks on the bleeding thing. and as for the fuel thing dont know how to take the fuel filter off. my rx7 is much different and thats the only fuel filter ive ever messed with. and the injectors im not sure how to check or take off and their not stock so it be harder to test i think.?????? not sure

me i hope the running issue is the leak at the throttle body but i wont know till i can find some new throttle body mounting bolts so i can tighten down the right side and stop the huge boost leak.

oh and i forgot to thank for that link with the MPI test. that was a great help and yes i called the guy and he said it happened to him and he went out and bout the new MPI but didnt fix the burnt harness

The fuel filter is behind the engine on the firewall near the throttlebody. It is al black, and easier to take the battery out unless you have small hands. Follow the feed line from the rail to to it, and remove the top banjo bolt. Loosen up the clamps that hold it in place (it will stay supported by the metal fuel lines from the bottom) and work on loosening the flare nut at the bottom. This is the problem child of the system. I found it was easier to grab the filter, and pull up on it hard to bend the lines, and put the filter in a more accessible spot. I havn't done one in about 3 years because they are such a pain, and I opt to go with an fittings instead, but I believe one of the nuts is a 19 or 17 mm. Feel around under it, you will see the filter is in the shape of a hex down there so you can get a wrench on it, and theres a flare nut that threads into it. As for the injectors, take them out and plug one in the harness at a time and put the tip of the injector in a jar. Have a friend turn the car over, and watch to see that they all spray nicely and not uneven or even drip out.

I still believe your problem lies with your mfi relay harness though, but those are just general maintenance items that should be taken care of.

ok i look for it follow your steps. i will post tomorrow when its not 2 in the morning. well thanks for all your help so far bender its really helping me learn more about piston cars. (girlfriend is ready for me to come to bed so i must be going now)

Just trying to recall but It looks like he rigged that jumper wire to bypass the MPI relay. I would go to salvage and purchase just the wire connector leave yourself plenty of room and solder/heatshrink it for a permanent fix. If the MPI is bad it can be bypassed. But usually they go bad when a pump is beginning to go bad.

The MPI also controls many other functions this is probably the reason the car wont start. I would say go ahead anc bench test the fuel pump chances are its the reason the car wouldnt run right before and then it burnt up the MPI and now it wont turn over

I would recommend replacing the TB gasket and cleaning it with some carb cleaner while its off. Also check the EGR its easier to access with the TB off. Make sure its functioning. Just run pressure into one side like a BLT. And then run air into one of the nipples and make sure it opens and closes completely.(both times I had a boost leak the EGR was dirty and stuck open) :thumb:

Kolby

All the emissions crap is still on the car? OMG

There's another problem. All those old vacuum lines get brittle and can get little holes in them. I'll dig around for the diagram on how to route all your vacuum lines without all the extra bs.

ok the injectors are fine and the fuel filter is not clogged by the way im never touching that thing again. and im not sure about the emissions stuff but i know it doesnt have cat. and i will check the EGR since my TB is on the counter in the kitchen. oh and rush did you get the dynoscan palm os or look at the cable?

Taboo Speed Shop

There is the link to remove emissions. Only thing I recommend is running the boost controller differently. They have a tee going from the bov to the wastegate. THIS CAN CAUSE BOOST CREEP/SPIKE. Some people can get away with it, yet some people have problems with it. The easiest thing to do is run a line from the bung on the turbo to the wastegate. (They have it capped in the pictures)

ok thanks for finding that for me. im checking the EGR right now and everything seems to be fine so far.

ok the injectors are fine and the fuel filter is not clogged by the way im never touching that thing again. and im not sure about the emissions stuff but i know it doesnt have cat. and i will check the EGR since my TB is on the counter in the kitchen. oh and rush did you get the dynoscan palm os or look at the cable?

Havent had much time. Had a small accident when lowering the car. It was windy and it fell off the jack stand and kinda pinned both of my legs under the front bumper. Luckily the jack stand tipped and caught the majority of the weight but im still a little sore.

I do have the email though and hopefully i can look into a cable soon

Kolby

oh man that sucks. that happened to me once when i was under my 7 and luckily my bro came out side to tell me it was dinner time and he got the car back up so i wasnt stuck.

ok well i did the test for the MPI and it doesnt read 12v it reads 2v

ok well if any one has a MPI\MFI relay and wires to it could you let me know what your asking for them. thanks

Havent had much time. Had a small accident when lowering the car. It was windy and it fell off the jack stand and kinda pinned both of my legs under the front bumper. Luckily the jack stand tipped and caught the majority of the weight but im still a little sore.

I do have the email though and hopefully i can look into a cable soon

Kolby

What were your legs doing under the car when you were lowering it anyways? This is a NO NO.

What were your legs doing under the car when you were lowering it anyways? This is a NO NO.

I wasnt technicall lowering it. and yes i know this. I was putting the front wheel back on I was straddling the knuckle and when the car went I didnt have any lugs on so it kinda ended up mainly in my lap. Luckily It didnt put the FULL weight on.

To the OP have you tried any local scrap yards for the MPI and connector?

Kolby

yes i have and no one has either a talon tsi or eclipse gsx.

what sucks the most is that i cant even tell if fixing the throttle body leak would even get it running now that the car wont even start or turn over for that matter.

well i had the battery on a charger for about an hour before i started to mess with it again so that might be it but i still think is the relay not getting any power due to the short in the harness

If its not turning over, then either the starter solenoid isn't getting power, the starter is bad, or the battery is dead. One way to check is to see if you get 12 volts going to the small wire on the starter while a friend is cranking the engine.

ok ill see if im getting 12v post back with the results.

ok well i just found out that my step dad took the MPI relay to work with him for what reason i dont know so now im up the creek without a paddle.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back