The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

car smoking after extended boost

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsmtalonawd

Probationary Member
Dec 22, 2010
highlands ranch, Colorado
under normal driving conditions no smoke, and when i go into boost for a short bit no smoke, only when i am in a gear for an extended time whail in boost. mostly the highway in 5th when i punch it after 10-15 seconds blue smoke comes out not too much but a good enough amount to leave a trail and then when i get off a huge puff of white smoke that stays on my back end for about ten seconds. just bought this car and i have already put in a new turbo. i know my pcv is about at the end o its life and am not sure if it's the cause. and im needing to get it ready to pass emissions here soon

under normal driving conditions no smoke, and when i go into boost for a short bit no smoke, only when i am in a gear for an extended time whail in boost. mostly the highway in 5th when i punch it after 10-15 seconds blue smoke comes out not too much but a good enough amount to leave a trail and then when i get off a huge puff of white smoke that stays on my back end for about ten seconds. just bought this car and i have already put in a new turbo. i know my pcv is about at the end o its life and am not sure if it's the cause. and im needing to get it ready to pass emissions here soon

You already put a new turbo on so next thing i would do is a leakdown and or compression test.

Sounds like too much positive crank case pressure to me... What are you flooring it in 5th for anyways? Its a good way to make a ton of heat and put a lot of unnecessary stress on things.

i will sometime this week do a compression check on it and im going to be ordering a new pcv too

thats what im thinking cause i have had oil come out my dip stick tube

it could also be piston rings are going as well. if you just bought the car im guessing you don't no what its been through and how hard it was ran... do a boost leak test and a compression test and check your exhaust for oil residue and check all your boost piping for signs of oil residue...:thumb:

Have you checked your dipstick after a WOT pull?

Happened to me after making a few pulls my dipstick kept popping out and blowing oil all over the place not sure if thats your problem but it seems to be common on dsms........

valve seals

Crank pressure is causing leaking valve seals to allow oil into the combustion chamber at WOT, the oil is being burned and exits the exhaust system

-Make your PCV system is hooked up properly, if you have mods on your car you should look into upgrading you pcv system. I use 2 catchcans and a check valve.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-engine-fuel/366890-4g63t-pcv-system.html

You can thank calan for this

its not the turbo pulled off some piping right after the turbo and nice and dry. so at least thats a big relief im not buying one again should be getting pcv in a few days

put the new pcv on and so far everything looks good

so i did install the new pcv and drove for a day perfectly. then started smoking today and my dip stick was also popped out. now i have a friend who says instead of a one way check valve you can use a second pcv if you have one lying around cause a pcv and a check valve are the same basic thing. i will be ordering catch cans soon. the funny thing is right now im only running 5 psi and everything is built for 22 psi.

Sounds like too much positive crank case pressure to me... What are you flooring it in 5th for anyways? Its a good way to make a ton of heat and put a lot of unnecessary stress on things.

What are you going on about flooring it in 5th isn't good for the car??? Cars can be floored in all gears! Its not going to harm anything as that's what there tested for! Please explain your theory on this!

I had similar problems. Right before it blew up

sent from my evo.

Well that's reassuring did you find out why it blew up! This doesn't really help to OP find an answer unless you can tell him what your problems were and if you ever found why and what could have been fixed to prevent this!!!

Well that's reassuring did you find out why it blew up! This doesn't really help to OP find an answer unless you can tell him what your problems were and if you ever found why and what could have been fixed to prevent this!!!

My car smoked after hard pulls in boost. During normal driving it did not smoke.
My car would also smoke if you let it sit at idle for extended periods. Like 10 minutes but would clear up.
My car did not smoke during the hard pull it was always after the pull it smoked.

My dipstick popped up under boost.
The last thing that happened was the excessive crankcase pressure blew the end of the valve cover gasket getting oil on my timing belt.
During a pull when I hit full boost the belt slipped.

I pulled the head. I also decided to pull a piston to check oil rings. They were fine but the 2nd compression ring was collapsed on 1 side. Had to be chiseled out to free it. Found the other 3 to be the same.
My compression always was 168-170psi warm

sent from my evo.

using an old comprssion gauge so not sure how accurate it is i got 110 110 112 105 going to try to find a better one and redo it cause this gauge is older then me. and a tech i know told me to make a home made catch can and take out the pcv and the vacume line to intake before the turbo so its all just atmosphere and dump the lines into the catch can. good idea? bad idea?

put two pcv valves inline with eachother and so far everything is good

Last edited:
using an old compression gauge so not sure how accurate it is i got 110 110 112 105 going to try to find a better one and redo it cause this gauge is older then me. and a tech i know told me to make a home made catch can and take out the pcv and the vacuum line to intake before the turbo so its all just atmosphere and dump the lines into the catch can. good idea? bad idea?

put two pcv valves inline with each other and so far everything is good

That's low! Was that a cold test? At least there roughly the same I cannot remember the le-way 5% I think! I remember reading on cold compression checks but the cold looks alright! Try a warm test with some oil aswell and go from there then let us know! The blue smoke can also mean fuel leakage! So check the o-rings and injectors... If your popping out on the dip stick vent the pvc valve on the left of the VC to a collector or a filter! And plug the hole on the intake pipe off! This can also re leave pressure, to a degree! Hopefully some one that's fixed this problem can chime in and show you the path LOL

What are you going on about flooring it in 5th isn't good for the car??? Cars can be floored in all gears! Its not going to harm anything as that's what there tested for! Please explain your theory on this!

I already did....but what do I know?

Edit:
-cory

I agree those compression results are WAY too low. Was the car fully warmed up to operating temps when you performed the test?

did the test wrong so going to do it in the next couple of days. and the spec for my car is a min of 114 psi. the spec is from Mitchell on demand.

If you dip stick is blowing def blow by which would cause the blue smoke. It just happen to me with the smoke. My dip stick was blowing out, find out i had cracked piston ring.

I already did....but what do I know?

Edit:
-cory

Lol well I have no idea what your going on about you already did!!! If its a previous post a link would help so I can read it! Then I might have a clue haha

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back