The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

car shuts off after charging the battery

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red99eclipse

Probationary Member
Dec 26, 2016
Plainfield, Illinois
Hello all, I've been having this problem for weeks and still cant figure out what could be the problem. I've replaced the alternator, starter, and just bought a new battery. I'm almost ready to change the distributor and cap, wires and plugs. I dont want to keep charging the battery if it will do more harm than good.
once I jump start the battery its starts right away but it shuts off after idling a good 25 mins. It will turn when I try to start it again but wont fire up after a few tries. Next day I go at it again and battery is completely dead. Any ideas any one? thank you.

Well we finished replacing the coil pack and plugs. Jumped started the battery, it started but before it did I heard a loud clicking noise. Went on and stayed on for 20 min then it cut off as if I turned it off with the key. any suggestions would be appreciated. I would hate to get rid of it.

Well we finished replacing the coil pack and plugs. Jumped started the battery, it started but before it did I heard a loud clicking noise. Went on and stayed on for 20 min then it cut off as if I turned it off with the key. any suggestions would be appreciated. I would hate to get rid of it.
Sounds like a bad ecm to me but I can be wrong.

I've been doing some research on my car and it seen there are a lot of owners with the same problem. And the majority of these owners say their mechanic and/or dealer didnt find anything wrong with it or didnt have an answer. Thanks for your response.

If you jumping it and idling for 20 minutes and it shuts off, from my understanding if there is something drawing more power than is being produced it would do this also. I would check all grounds, make sure connectors and wiring is good and go from there.

If you jumping it and idling for 20 minutes and it shuts off, from my understanding if there is something drawing more power than is being produced it would do this also. I would check all grounds, make sure connectors and wiring is good and go from there.
thanks. Will keep checking

When u disconnect your battery is there a big arc. If there is a draw then it will be sparky. My car has next to no draw and has the smallest of tiny spark when hooked up or disconnected wich is normal. Since u don't have a machine to measure load, do this ghetto trick and Ull see

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back