The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Car shaking under load

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reliable GSX

Probationary Member
Feb 22, 2017
Tampa, Florida
Hey guys, a new issue with my car just came up. I took my 2g on a short road trip and drove on the highway for about 4ish minutes, driving completely normal and the speed limit (no sarcasm). On the way back, exiting the highway, I noticed my car was shaking abnormally out of nowhere and immediately pulled over to the side of the road to check and make sure I didn't hit anything or check to see if a wheel came loose. Everything appeared to be fine. I made it home safely, but it still did not stop shaking. The car only shakes when accelerating, and shaking goes almost completely away when I am shifting in between gears and coasting in neutral to a stop. Any ideas on what it could be? I have a 1998 Eclipse GSX manual 5 speed.

Hey man!

I am having the same issue. For me it usually happens when I am driving at any gear and above 3.5k RPM at wide open throttle. If I have the throttle 60% or closer its okay, the moment its about 75% to full open it starts shaking as if you were going over a cobblestone road. Very annoying. Does it happen to you at any particular speed or RPM? is it just constant?

Last edited:
Awesome! I'll check the motor mounts when I get home later today. Thanks for the input!

Hey man!

I am having the same issue. For me it usually happens when I am driving at any gear and above 3.5k RPM at wide open throttle. If I have the throttle 60% or closer its okay, the moment its about 75% to full open it starts shaking as if you were going over a cobblestone road. Very annoying. Does it happen to you at any particular speed or RPM? is it just constant?

It's a constant shaking at any speed/rpm, however gets worse and worse the higher the gear. So first gear isn't too bad, but 3-5 are horrible! I'm hoping it's an axle, but if it's the motor mount, it'll be a nice excuse to replace all of them.

And check your driveshaft and bushings. :thumb:

I don't know. I had the same vibration symptoms at idle and it got worse as the rpms went higher. Well I took off the timing cover and the balance shaft belt had broken and lodged itself right behind the timing belt...but kept chugging along.

Cool! Any quick ways/tips to check the driveshaft and carrier bearings? I know I can google it, but pro tips don't come with google. ;)

Cool! Any quick ways/tips to check the driveshaft and carrier bearings? I know I can google it, but pro tips don't come with google. ;)
Let me know your findings, perhaps I can guide myself as well while I diagnose mine as well!

I say grab your driveshaft, and see if you can wiggle it. If you can, there's likely to be an issue. Also look to see if there's any spots a weight may have fallen off the shaft. You'll be able to tell if there's a spot that isn't nearly as dirty, or something like that. Did you ever check the engine mounts?

It's pretty easy to tell if the DS bushing are shot. The DS will sag in the bushings and you can DEFINTELY wiggle it. Block the tires, jack it up, put it in neutral and give it a wiggle. These cars are old so it needs checked anyway. I need to fix mine in my new 92 Auto car so I know what the problem will look like if you have them.

I want to give you guys an update about my shaking. In my case my car needed some adjustment/tuning. I had WayneSpeed come by and check it out. After several fuel, air and cam adjustment the shake was totally gone. So after you look into all those bushings if you problem persist consider checking out your tune/setting.

Hey guys, just checked the drive shaft and the wiggling is very minimal between the first carrier bearing and transfer case. Other than that minimal movement, it seems to be fine. I see no signs of breaking/unusual wear on the carrier bearings as well. Next up, checking the motor mounts.

I want to give you guys an update about my shaking. In my case my car needed some adjustment/tuning. I had WayneSpeed come by and check it out. After several fuel, air and cam adjustment the shake was totally gone. So after you look into all those bushings if you problem persist consider checking out your tune/setting.
Wow....what the hell changed so much it was making the car SHAKE??? (I need to check MY tune, maybe thats what shook my rockers off). Just wondering really.
Thats good Reliable GSX, you can check it periodically but sounds ok. Always good to check. MINE needs fixed but I have a spare that I plan to put in and then repair my old DS. Thanks for the report :thumb:

Just a quick update guys, I ran the test that luv2rallye linked in a reply (thank you so much for that, by the way). The motor doesn't seem to be shaking crazy amounts, but it definitely has more movement than my buddy's 2g GST. We compared side by side the test mentioned above, as well as 2 step and his had less movement for both tests. I'm thinking I want to replace the right and left motor mounts just to see if it does anything to help me, but we'll see what happens! I have another buddy coming over to check the car out tomorrow, just to see if another pair or eyes can help find the problem. I'll keep you updated!

Hey guys! I fixed the issue and wanted to share my findings with you all. It turns out my front passenger CV axle (inner joint) was almost completely destroyed inside of the boot. I took off the axle and replaced it, and I’m cruising smooth again. Thank you all for your input and help!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back