The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Car shakes over 60

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terrj

Proven Member
Oct 22, 2016
atlantic, New_Jersey
Car drives fine if i stay under 60 but as soon as i speed up and go over 60mph it start shaking pretty bad , its more on the right front side . The faster it goes the more the car shakes , id say violently.
Things to be noted : i replaced the ball joints and the car shakes a bit less after but still shakes LOL
It does need an alignment (car pulls to the right ) but im sure thats not the issue.
Theres no play when i lift the car up to check the tire
The car shakes, not the steering wheel. The tires are balanced , theres no click when i turn. Brakes are good, rotors arent warped.

if the car does not have directional tires move that wheel to the left front see if shaking moves with it. which would indicate a bent wheel. whoever balanced the tires would have noticed that. check for anything loose from ball joint install. static wheel balance is only good till about 60 or 70 mph anyway. road force balancing is the best.

Rotate your tires see where it moves .
Are you sure your tires are balanced properly ?
Some shops use the clip on wieghts and if you kiss a curb you could pop it out if there on the outside part of the rim .

Brand new tires?
Bent rim?

Ive had my fun with unbalanced tires in the past and its usually a violent shaking and an easy fix .

Wheels are balanced. The steering wheel is solid , the vibration intensifies as the car goes past 60mph and its the whole car , it vibrates a hell lot more if i floor it just to give you an idea. And wheels are not bent, tires are new too, they're stretched tires but thats not the problem. The car is bone stock btw

I did today while replacing the lower control arm but they all seem solid. Gonna recheck again tomorrow and hopefully finds out what it is.

In my past experience a bad alignment can cause a car to shake, to the severity that you are having I don't know but it's worth a shot and it's one more thing that's fixed and maybe a partial fix. Hope you get it figured out soon.

Check to see if you have a buddy with an extra set of rims you can borrow and try that out. I have bought brand new tires that was just no good.

Maybe a little off but can you control vibration with throttle? Usually frozen universal joint could be felt like that. Also check drive shaft if you are AWD for being bend.

Maybe a little off but can you control vibration with throttle? Usually frozen universal joint could be felt like that. Also check drive shaft if you are AWD for being bend.
I can control it if the cars going faster than 60mph. I can launch the car with no problem but as soon as the speed is higher than 60mph it starts to shakes like hell if i try to floor it.
Thanks for the help but i wasnt able to jack it up and check it out due to the rain so ill have to wait till weekend or something. Work is crazy so i have no time

Could be any number of things like the guys mentioned above but I would lean toward one of the cv axles are bad. Same exact thing would happen to me, I could control the vibration as long as I ddnt get on the gas too hard or coasted but as soon as I floored it at 65 or higher, the whole car would shake horribly.

Alignment won't cause this shake. The key information is that it worsens under a load (when you floor it), which points to drive line problems, and not wheel/tire. Bent wheels are bent all the time, not just when accelerating. I've seen tires cause vibration when accelerating, but only in cases where the vehicle is too heavy for a particular type of tire, so I doubt that's the case here.
Is the car AWD? If so, check the u joints. Otherwise, check your axles for binding.

Back track to when the problem first started . it does sound like c v joints or axles but that would show up right away if it were the front ones . If you are awd then i would look at the rear driveshaft and that would cause a high speed vibration .

Front axle you will feel sort of side to side in the gas pedal. When you power it up on turns you will feel it more. Usually the cup of the axle wears and when the lobes catch it you get that in and out vibration. But u joint is different. I had case when it made like a sound on throttle and when you let out then it stops. Bend driveshaft is kind of constant. By any chance does your check engine light on? Of flashing maybe? The description you give about vibration is kind of vague. I usually like to make my brain think but I feel like their were many mechanic touching the car and everything is good yet you still have vibration. Sometimes you just have to start over and trust no one. Also I have been doing alignments for 11 years and I can tell you that it is very rear if not never that alignment causes vibration. Once in the blue moon you can see something that totally don't make sense like vibration going away after alignment but it does happen.

Some causes for vibration.

Balance, bent rims, out of wach Chinese drums(actually had it), motor mount(cause of axle wear), u joints, driveshaft, out of round tires(happens more then you can imagine), engine misfire, wheel bearing(some people describe bearing noise as vibration), loose suspension(many shops have to clue how to check suspension), brake pulsation, brakes too tight, shifting suspension(could cause axles to wear out).

Pick one .

Alignment won't cause this shake. The key information is that it worsens under a load (when you floor it), which points to drive line problems, and not wheel/tire. Bent wheels are bent all the time, not just when accelerating. I've seen tires cause vibration when accelerating, but only in cases where the vehicle is too heavy for a particular type of tire, so I doubt that's the case here.
Is the car AWD? If so, check the u joints. Otherwise, check your axles for binding.
It is AWD but what i dont get it how i can floor it and redline the damn thing with no problem but as soon as i hit over 55-60mph it start to vibrates and get worse under load. And once again WHEELS arent BENT , ROTORS arent WARPED , TIE RODS are SOLID , BALL JOINTS are NEW. I just hope its nothing expensive otherwise im f***ed till i can buy a spare car :banghead:

It's forsure a cv axle or something along the driveline. Literally what you're describing happened to me and it was my passenger side cv axle. I could get up to 65mph and higher with no problems if I slowly gave the car gas but as soon as I gave it any decent about of gas, the whole car would shake. I thought I was gonna die when I did this at 80mph.

Once the car reaches a certain speed, the axles and driveline will be spinning fast enough for you to notice whatever amount of play is in them when load is applied. The car still shakes when you floor it at lower speeds but since the axles or driveline aren't rotating fast enough, the possible slop in them doesn't become apparent to you until they reach a higher frequency which is speed in this case.

Jack up the car and check for play on your axles or look for torn/leaking cv boots. Super easy to check real quick and will rule out your axles at the very least. What would be ideal is if you could get the car on a lift and watch the axles/driveline rotate while the car is in gear. Doing this helped me find one of my axles rotating lopsided in the axle cup.

I hope this helps

It is AWD but what i dont get it how i can floor it and redline the damn thing with no problem but as soon as i hit over 55-60mph it start to vibrates and get worse under load. And once again WHEELS arent BENT , ROTORS arent WARPED , TIE RODS are SOLID , BALL JOINTS are NEW. I just hope its nothing expensive otherwise im f***ed till i can buy a spare car :banghead:

You're thinking the right way. You've ruled out all of the illogical things. The vibration doesn't present itself necessarily because of wheel speed, or throttle %, but load on the drive line. When you're in a lower gear, there is less resistance on the axles/drive shaft because of gear reduction. It's very easy for them to spin, therefore there is less strain on them.
In high gear, there is much more torque applied to everything, so problems like this are much more likely to present themselves.
For a diagnostic exercise, go out and test drive in 4th gear and load up the drive line. So, floor the throttle while holding the brakes down enough that the rpms slowly climb. This should simulate the higher gear and give you the same vibration. (it will also eliminate a gear-specific transmission problem).

It's forsure a cv axle or something along the driveline. Literally what you're describing happened to me and it was my passenger side cv axle. I could get up to 65mph and higher with no problems if I slowly gave the car gas but as soon as I gave it any decent about of gas, the whole car would shake. I thought I was gonna die when I did this at 80mph.

Once the car reaches a certain speed, the axles and driveline will be spinning fast enough for you to notice whatever amount of play is in them when load is applied. The car still shakes when you floor it at lower speeds but since the axles or driveline aren't rotating fast enough, the possible slop in them doesn't become apparent to you until they reach a higher frequency which is speed in this case.

Jack up the car and check for play on your axles or look for torn/leaking cv boots. Super easy to check real quick and will rule out your axles at the very least. What would be ideal is if you could get the car on a lift and watch the axles/driveline rotate while the car is in gear. Doing this helped me find one of my axles rotating lopsided in the axle cup.

I hope this helps

Very helpful info. Exactly what I was suggesting.

how has no one mentioned the carrier bearing yet? my 1g did almost exactly what you are describing. the bearing itself was not bad but the rubber that holds it up was dry rotted, around town and mild highway it did o.k. but at speed it would vibrate, and a full throttle blast at speed made it feel like i was driving over washboard.

I'll check the cv axle and bearing and see whats going on. The car only got 90k miles i dont think its the shock, ive driven cars with bad shocks before and this doesnt feel like it

How do you get your wheels balanced?
I used to have a similar problem, and only have solved when I balanced the wheels mounted on the car.
In my case tha car was shaking after 100mph. If is not any of the things that others members said, give this a try.
Realign your car and get your wheels balanced mounted on it.

How do you get your wheels balanced?
I used to have a similar problem, and only have solved when I balanced the wheels mounted on the car.
In my case tha car was shaking after 100mph. If is not any of the things that others members said, give this a try.
Realign your car and get your wheels balanced mounted on it.

This makes little to no sense. A tire balance issue will not cause this problem. It also seems as though you don't know how tire balancing or alignments work.

For the last time , i dont need to balance my tires . I know exactly how it is to have unbalanced tires smh. Ive been trying to jack the car up to take a look but its been raining and works been busy so hopefully i'll have some times to spare this sunday to take some pics and have you guys help me out. :pray:

Haha I think he's just trying to get his post count up. At least there are on topic suggestions being said but it would help if everyone would actually read the OP's entire thread first...

Yeah just get back to us on Sunday Terrj. Hopefully we'll help you pin-point the vibration by then so you can enjoy speeding I mean driving normal again :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back