The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Car revs slightly when I turn the steering wheel?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IIv SHaDoW vII

15+ Year Contributor
May 8, 2007
Topeka, Kansas
98 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-

When sitting at idle it will idle fine, then if I turn the steering wheel back and forth the engine will rev up slightly.. The idle is only affected by the turn of the wheel. After it revs slightly and goes back down it will start to idle a roughly just enough to notice. This is beyond me...of course everything that has been happening with this car has been beyond me so far.

the car is supposed to bump up the idle slightly when you turn your steering wheel... it is a feature of the power steering pump (if you look close, you can see a wire running from the power steering to the alternator)... as far as the rough idle afterwards, I'm not sure... have you done any recent upgrades that may have affected vacuum/boost?

It revs because of the power steering pump using engine power to assist your turning the wheels. The idle being rough however, what do you mean, the rpms drop down to 600rpms or so, or is it normal 750rpms but the engine is shaking alittle. Just be a little more spicific about the rough idle.

Thanks

Wow, haha I feel stupid. As far as the roughness afterwards, I think the car is in need of a tune-up (spark plugs, wires, and soon to be an oil change on the 14th) so thanks for the help since I am an idiot haha. I will replace the plugs and wires and see if it goes away. I have never had any problems with my GST so I dont think about stuff before I race to the forum and ask for help with this car. I bought it about 4 months ago so being skeptical is unavoidable. Thanks again though.

It revs because of the power steering pump using engine power to assist your turning the wheels. The idle being rough however, what do you mean, the rpms drop down to 600rpms or so, or is it normal 750rpms but the engine is shaking alittle. Just be a little more spicific about the rough idle.

Thanks
Engine shakes slightly... I cant determine if its vacuum or spark... I would think spark since its not consistant it seems like a miss here and there.

good luck to you... no need to feel shame, it happens to the best of us at times

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back