The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Car hesitates when i give it gas

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmcoon

Probationary Member
Sep 12, 2008
Pulaski, Virginia
My 95 talon tsi just hit 100,000 miles this summer. I noticed the other day when i got on the interstate, of course you have to gun it sometimes, my car hesitated and jerked untill i let off the gas. I then gave it gas slowly and it didnt jerk. Now it does it every time i gas it or take it past 3 or 4 grand in rpms. I dont really know what it could be. I have asked mechanics, and they seem to think its the spark plugs, wires or maybe fuel injectors. I want some advice from some one who knows what they are talking about. It does it in every gear if i give a good amount of gas. Could it be the clutch? or even the turbo? Please help because i want to get it fixed asap, and i want to know what it is before taking it into the shop. oh some additional info. I just replaced the clutch master cylinder about a year ago, the clutch was sticking to the floor. If anyone can give me some tips on what to do, or what it could be please let me know.

I started having a similar problem after i changed the fuel filter. For me it's whenever my car is not completely up to temp. I will go to accelerate and it will just stay at X rpms, if i give it more than half throttle, it will accelerate normal. It doesn't do it if I accelerate above 4k. Also, it only does it on cold days when the car is not up to temp though.

well to be honest i got the car id say about a year ago, my brother had it before me for a few months, and i have not had a tune up on it, and neither had my brother. Im not sure if the owner of the car before my brother had it done or not. But I plan on getting that done, does anyone know about how much a tune up runs? The timing belt had been replaced and oil changed regularly. Ill look at getting the plugs and wires changed. Also is it ok to put fuel injector cleaner in my car?

I dont know how much a tune-up would cost, I do everything myself. But it would probobly be cheaper to do it yourself, especially for plugs and wires. Just get the wires for your car, get the plugs, and its a 10 minute job.

well to be honest i got the car id say about a year ago, my brother had it before me for a few months, and i have not had a tune up on it, and neither had my brother. Im not sure if the owner of the car before my brother had it done or not. But I plan on getting that done, does anyone know about how much a tune up runs? The timing belt had been replaced and oil changed regularly. Ill look at getting the plugs and wires changed. Also is it ok to put fuel injector cleaner in my car?

Fuel injector cleaner should be fine. You may want to replace your fuel filter, possibly re-wire the fuel pump as part of the tune-up - possibly look into adding some more ground wires, especially if you are running a big stereo. :cool: There are posts about what kind of plug wires to use that you can find here, but lots of people use MSD, NGK, Accel, BWD etc. For plugs, you probably wanna get the stardard tried and true NGK BPR6ES. You might wanna flush your radiator for good luck and change your thermostat (cheap and easy). Maybe, use a bottle of engine/valve cleaner in the crankcase (add to your oil and idle car for a few minutes )right before your next oil change. :rocks:

I had crazy trouble like this, I finally took out the spark plugs to see what it was. Turns out I had platinums in there from who-knows-when (previous owner). They looked ok, but had white deposits all over. I replaced them with the BPR6's and it worked great! I know I was burning oil before, and my theory is that the burnt oil left the white deposits which were getting in the way of the spark. Plus, our cars don't like platinums, apparently.

My symptoms were that if I went wide-open throttle in any gear (but mostly 1 and 2), I'd get hesitations as if I were running over tiny speed bumps. Eventually this started happening in any gear at anything past 1/3 throttle. Replaced spark plugs, it works great ever since. So check the easy stuff first.

Could be worn, large gap, deposits, bad spark wires, etc etc. Good luck.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back