The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Car hasn't been started in 4 years....

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crackajak18

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 13, 2008
a, North_Carolina
My car has been sitting for 5 years (outside) and hasn't been started in 4 years, what are some of the things I'm going to need to get her up and going again without causing damage? I expect the battery, dropping the fuel tank, replacing fuel pump, all maintenance fluids and filters and such, draining fuel lines. What are some other things I should be expecting?

Ive had them sit longer than that and fuel pump still worked. Change fluids, filters and hoses. I just started one a few days ago. Put a battery in it fired right up. 5 years old.

I'd run afew tanks before you do. You may still need some work there. Time will tell. If its bad right away you'll know it.

I have heard it is a good practice to put a little bit of motor-oil mixed with Marvel Mystery Oil into the cylinders a couple days before you turn it over to lubricate the rings, walls ,and prevent wear from it sitting for so long.

Apparently, this also works for engines that have seized.

What flavoade said and a fresh tank of gas too. You should be good to go.

My gvr4 sat for 8-9 years and fired right up after some new gas. Check over the belts for dry rot, especially timing belt. If it where me I'd do a complete timing kit ;) and FYI you don't need to drop the tank to change pump or drain gas. Before you start the car prime the engine by pulling the mpi or engine fuse. Then simply watch the oil pressure light as you crank till it turns out. Once it does the motor is primed. This will lube the turbo and cylinders. Just adding oil or mystery oil won't do anything unless you prime.

Last edited:
Although I do not disagree with all the above posted, and I know many engines have been started with minimal effort, but why risk it.

This is what I do.
Begin by preparing your engine.
Check your belts, all of them, take you spark plugs out and spray
PB Blaster or WD 40, make sure to put in plenty to get above the piston, let it sit for 2 or 3 days.
During this time drop your gas tank, even if by looking at it through the fuel pump opening may look clear, this would be varnish by now.
Try to stick your arm in there and feel the top of the tank , to see how rough it is, if very bad you could try to get it clean by radiator shop or pour about 6 gallons of white vinegar in it and let it sit for a few days flipping it to different positions.
Pressure wash it with soap and water and see condition.
Get new gasket for fuel pump assembly, they are a few dollars.

Now go back to your engine, and Fill each cylinder with Marvel and light weight oil, leave it in again for 2 or 3 days even if it is all drain out.

Clean fuel lines with denatured alcohol and back pressure air
including return line.

Take fuel injectors out and clean them.

Replace your fuel pump now, the one in there most likely, even if if runs will not last very long.

Put fresh oil in and change all your filters, rotate engine by hand before doing it with starter,making sure it rotates freely.

Do all visual maintenance put in fresh plugs and give it a try.

This may sound elaborate but why take any chances

Good luck.

Just got my had out it sat for 4 years pumped all the old gas out with fuel line disconnected did a oil change tossed a jump box on it and fire it up but sitting that long it needed brakes had a brake line blew and tires were rotted other then that she fired right up

Awesome, I appreciate the tips. Now to get the car here...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back