The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Car has lost power?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sjd6795

Proven Member
May 14, 2014
Wilsonville, Oregon
Well I just went out for my first drive after installing my 3" intake pipe and I noticed my power is way down. I'm still running the 14b turbo at about 18 psi. Would a 3" intake just be to big for the stock turbo? The car holds boost all the way no hesitation or stutter, I have noticed I lost a bit of low end torque and gained a little top end. But what could the reason be for the car feeling sluggish? I did a easy first to fourth pull because my idler pulley is lose and making a clicking noise or something in that area. And I barely made it past 45mph.

Before I installed the 3" intake pipe my car had torque all the way through it literally felt like the car was alive. Now it just feels like it hasn't been eating it's greens. I've made sure everything is tightened down thoroughly, and my intercooler pipes have been installed for several months prior to the power loss.

My mods:
2.5" Upper intercooler pipes(3" gm maf before the TB)
MBC and boost gauge
Wideband 02 and gauge
3" intake(blow through setup obviously)
Vented stock bov
Maf-translator
Bought and waiting arrival:
Timing belt kit with balance shaft eliminator
Walbro 190 with rewire kit
Apexi safc-2
Gates water pump

Here's a picture for whatever reason. :thumb:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Man the only really think i can think of is a boost leak and because you're in a blow throw setup your really won't feel the leak because probably is before the GM MAF. The 3" intake shouldn't be an problem also check if all you vacuum lines to be plugged in!

I would be very cautious about running your car with an idler making noise, which pulley to be exact is it just an idler or is it the one on the tensioner. I would start off by checking mechanical timing then move to the basics, blt, ignition timing, spark, fuel, compression. are the any check engine lights? To me it sounds timing related.

also did you stick anything in the turbo while the intake was off to keep anything debris out and forget about it?
sorry, had to ask sadly i've seen it done.

And another thread I completely forgot about thanks for the replies though guys. I'm in the process of removing my engine so every problem the car had should be solved soon. Also I didn't have a boost leak but I was still running the stock exhaust the extra air flow couldn't get out I assume. After adding a 3" exhaust the car felt much better. And no the intake pipe wasn't off no more then a few minutes and was always placed back on before leaving the car. I did however do a 2 hour drive only to have my turbo come completely apart the nut came off the shaft luckily it didn't make it past the inter cooler and destroy my Maf. I think the fins or whatever you call them got slightly damaged and a small gap between them and the turbo inlet is now there so it doesn't really spool up good anymore.

I recall a thread where installing the fp intake on turbos with smaller inlets created a loss in hp. I'll try and dig it up. And I know you didn't say it was that particular intake but just referencing the thread.

I remember seeing something about that somewhere but I think it was my exhaust that was holding me back mainly. I will have to change my turbo out anyways because mine is still leaking oil and I don't think a 14b is worth rebuilding. And yea it's just a custom 3" pipe I fabbed up. I've extended it to the original location now and it actually felt like it wasn't getting enough air the boost kind of stuttered when I last drove it. On top of that my clutch is slipping so I have to replace it dsm are $$$$$$$$. Yes that is part curse words and part money signs. And I'm still trying to find me a job so it's making it pretty difficult. If anyone wants to buy a very nice 1986 Porsche 944 n/t all it needs is a passenger door and rear quarter panel(the ones on it are dented) let me know LOL.

Cars are money in general man, your either paying every month for a new one, or buying parts for older ones. Don't forget these cars are almost antiques, I'm pretty sure in ri 25 years and older can be registered as antiques! So if you had a 90 it'd be 24 years old, any car will have needed parts several times by then. And they are unique, don't see too many mostly mustangs around here.

Remember these cars have a knock sensor. If you can hear a noise, the computer can interpret that as knock and pull timing on you.

Wait.. You're running 18psi on a 14b with stock injectors and no f***ing way to tune!? TURN THAT SHIT DOWN! You are probably knocking like a mofo!

Wait.. You're running 18psi on a 14b with stock injectors and no f***ing way to tune!? TURN THAT sh** DOWN! You are probably knocking like a mofo!

At the time I had a maf translator got it free with my 3" gm maf a week later I bought a safc-2. I think I have a factory freak though, I was running rich at WOT with 18psi on the stock fuel system. Engine is out for a rebuild I plan to put an old FP 18g in there with 650cc injectors and a 190 walbro fuel pump. Should make for a fun street car.

They do run 10's a/f ratio from factory, that and a boost leak will keep it rich LOL. Sounds like its time for a tune. :hellyeah:

I had almost that same issue when i did that to my daily 2g. It turned out that it was a boost leak from the intake pipe welds

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back