The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

ECMlink Car bit the dust, log attached. What happened?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1990TSIAWDTALON

Nov 14, 2013
Independence, Kansas
So my boys and I headed to a car show yesterday a few miles away to "represent DSM's" and going down a hill just driving, car felt fine just toodling along, when it just died and that was the end of it. Compression is gone. I logged the drive since we were tuning idle and cruise on a new set of injectors waiting in line for a pro tune. Tell me what any of you see and suggestions. Since it was driving pretty good I didn't see the WB go fat or know why, I only saw it on the log after getting the car home. Car bites the dust at around 514 seconds on the log.
Thanks all, it's a real bummer so I could use good constructive input on testing washed out rings or other loss of compression problems. No milkshake oil, coolant still up and oil pressure was still 70 lbs when it was dead but still rolling over as I was going down a big hill. She quit rolling over as soon as I pushed in on the clutch. Starter rolls it over and obviously no compression at all. Motor might have 6k on it...maybe less.
Appreciate any and all comments, just keep them on the subject.
See log.
Marty

Attachments

• log.2017.09.09-04 CAR BROKE LOG.elg
    289 KB · Views: 70
I'm not sure what to make of this but your o2 voltage stops cycling and then shortly after that your wideband afr starts plummeting to nothing.

edit: sorry, glanced over the part where mentioned the wideband.

Last edited:
Thanks Vegas. It is a brand new sensor for the record also. Going sooo rich and not noticing it was probably what killed her but just going down a hill under no load, really, I was happy and then......nothin. It was hard to notice it wasn't running I was going down such a steep hill. My oldest son said there was one poof of white smoke and thought I was going to get into boost but that wasn't the case.
The mind is willing but the body is soft and squishy and not liking the idea of doing it all over again. The old man is feelin old and no shop to put her in.

Oh yeh Doug I don't run a top cover on the race car. Its all turning. It sucks. Sooo my friends, how to tell if I washed the rings or just had a HG go before I pull it all apart? It sounds horrible hearing a dsm just roll over with a starter and not 200 psi of compression.

Hrmm.I only get like 140-150psi across the board >_< LOL because stock block @106k. there's no compression on any cylinder?

I'll give hard #'s asap. Had to just get her back to her place in the drive and prepair. Spun it over just a bit ago and its a sad sound of just spinning.

Just strange to me you say it's free spinning but your timing belt is still there.. unless...... hmm. do you have adjustable cam gears? are the bolts tight?

Hahaha i didnt look since I was in the car. Just watched it all. My help had to go to work so another day I guess.
A picture is worth a 1000 words so a 17 second video says alot.....
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
Thanks

If the engine is still timed and it a compression issue, there are only 3 things it could be:

1) You lost seals on the piston side (rings or, cylinder walls, or much less likely, holes in the piston)
2) You lost the head gasket
3) You lost the seal between the valves and the seats somehow

Based on the white puff of smoke and the fact that it's still timed and turning over, my money is on head gasket. Let us know how it turns out.

I can and will check it all, thanks fellows. It made no noise at all at the time and just felt like I turned the key off. Appreciate the time on diagnosis before I pull it.

damn man, this sucks. The motor is turning over faster than is does with the plugs out. I would say you have a mechanical failure in the shortblock or head. You pulled the plugs and they were intact? Im really curious, how hard were you pushing the motor?

damn man, this sucks. The motor is turning over faster than is does with the plugs out. I would say you have a mechanical failure in the shortblock or head. You pulled the plugs and they were intact? Im really curious, how hard were you pushing the motor?
I'm taking my time because it sickens me but I was just normal driving and very softly. If I were hammering on her maybe I would understand the whole thing more. Thanks for asking. Plug check, compession #'s if any and bore scope tomorrow (if I feel like it). :thumb:

Will do, thanks for the tip just to make it easier!
Doesn't expalin why but will at least show the result.

im sure you know but i am just talking myself through this sadness more than anything.

i have seen these cars run with trashed head gaskets and 60% difference in compression. so ruling out head gasket issue, a bad headgasket would still have some compression somewhere.

i am wondering if rocker arms popped out or lifters locked. you do seem to have free spin, but there is usually terrible noise too if something went so sideways that you mangled the valves. heck the last one i got that the kid munched the valves the motor wouldn't spin all the way over period. and the tapping noise seems to be under the valve cover, not deeper.

pulling the valve cover, will gain a lot of info, and if you have a bore scope, wouldn't hurt to look.

good luck, let us know what you discover.

Thank you ALL. At the least a picture of the valve cover off and maybe a short video today. Pictures for sure. Dad is in the hospital so priorities are not on the beast but 5 min's to take the VC off and let me and all of you friends of mine know what I see. I do really appreciate you all. I thought maybe my tuning did something to the motor but all signs point to mechanical failure of some sort.
Pics after 3pm.....

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back