The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

car backfiring at idle and accelerates bad

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkiller_666

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 19, 2008
Salina, Kansas
ive been trying to narrow my problems and fix it. ive fixed all my boost leaks replaced a cracked manifold put on new wires and spark plugs. My car was not firing on cylinder 1 and 4 very well so i changed my coil pack. My new problem is the car idles very roughly and backfires like mad. When i drive it the acceleration is very sluggish. :mad: i am at a complete loss. Even when i free rev the engine it seems like its taking longer to get to red line. any help to get me steered in the right direction would be appreciated.

Check the CAS and ignition timing. easiest way to do that is with a timing gun if you can get ahold of one. I think base timing is 5 degrees

i checked the injectors and they are stock. im wondering is the backfiring and bad power because the two cylinders that werent firing correctly built of fuel somehow????

Take you plug wires and set them on the valve cover and put the injectors on the plugs and see if the plugs are sparking. That will tell you if you plugs are working ok. I would unplug the injectors before you do this to make sure that you are not dumping fuel in the motor as you do this.

Take you plug wires and set them on the valve cover and put the injectors on the plugs and see if the plugs are sparking. That will tell you if you plugs are working ok. I would unplug the injectors before you do this to make sure that you are not dumping fuel in the motor as you do this.

pj is right on that i had the same problem today it was back firing and moving sluggish check the spark pulg to see it they are in firing order.

I'm gonna go with a timing problem also. check your CAS and put a timing gun on it and check everything out. If your TPS sensor was bad i could see it idling rough or searching for an idle but not backfiring at idle speed....

well, i went back and just started changing the wires around.... funny thing is the way that works is quite different from what my haynes manual says to put them in! its running beautifully now, but why would my firing order be different???

the Haynes manual puts the firing order like this... 4123...the way it works is 4231... ill take some pictures if you just think i cant see correctly or something, but that is the order they are in, when i put it in the order the Haynes manual says, it turns over and backfires like crazy. not to sound inconsiderate of your opinions but i like my wing, and i think ill exercise my right to be unique, besides the ladies love it big!

There are two coils - 4 & 1 are on the same coil and 2 & 3 are on the same coil. so if you have them hooked up 4231 you've got it hooked up wrong.

Someone clarify 2G coils 4&1 are on the left coil and 2&3 are on the right coil, as you're looking @ the intake manifold from the front of the car. Anyone Clarify this - I switched to a 6 bolt so long ago I forget.

Does that make sense dude?

well, i went back and just started changing the wires around.... funny thing is the way that works is quite different from what my haynes manual says to put them in! its running beautifully now, but why would my firing order be different???

eprom ecu versus non eprom. You probaly have an eprom ecu and haynes lists the newer non-eprom. 2G guys when they buy an eprom ecu have to swap the wires.

RE-CHECK your wires! If you just replaced them make sure you didn't cross them!
Kinda related question, what spark plugs and wires do you run for a 98 GS? Im new to DSM community. (Dont have manual)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back