The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Can't shift into 2nd gear, all other gears work fine?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler Bollinger

Probationary Member
Jan 8, 2016
Dover, Pennsylvania
I can shift into 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and R fine but it wont go into 2nd. I've been able to get it into 2nd a couple times and it does not skip so the gear is there, it just doesnt want to go in. I need to fix this ASAP most my boost builds in 2nd gear.

Is it grinding when you try to put it in? If so then it is very likely a bad synchro. If it feels like something is pushing back against you when you try to put it in gear, check the counterweight/shift linkage. Something (maybe your lower radiator hose) might be blocking the counterweight from moving when you try to move it to 2nd.

Like Gibbons said, I would start with counterweights/shift linkages. I have had issues with them hitting the lower radiator hose. Also wouldn't hurt to check the bushings at the bottom of your shifter (where the linkages attach to the shifter). Although it sounds like more of a synchro issue to me. Did it grind or resist the few times that you got it to go in? If you're familiar with the technique of rev matching, give that a try and see if it goes in. If it does, the issue is most likely a bad synchro blocker ring or hub/slider. I doubt its a broken shift fork, as 1st and 2nd use the same shift fork. However, if it is a gearset or shift fork issue the trans will have to be pulled apart to repair it.

It does grind and feel like something is pushing it away, thankyou guys for your help! I'll try your suggestions and hopely it works!

Is it grinding when you try to put it in? If so then it is very likely a bad synchro. If it feels like something is pushing back against you when you try to put it in gear, check the counterweight/shift linkage. Something (maybe your lower radiator hose) might be blocking the counterweight from moving when you try to move it to 2nd.
It does grind when trying to put it in, havnt looked at the synchro yet but since you perfectly described what it does I'll try it next thanks

My method of checking requires two people, You start with checking the link cables, and see how they sit when you try to put them into 2nd, you will see the cables move when you try to let go of the clutch, they will kind of move back into neutral, now put it back into 2nd and have your buddy hold the cables in place, let go of the clutch, and if it engages your 2nd is fine, if it grinds or doesn't move, your gear is messed up and you need a new tranny or a rebuild.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back