The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Can wheel/tire size 245/40/18 work for my 98 gsx?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broski9m

Probationary Member
Sep 4, 2008
miami, Florida
Curious to know if wheel tires 245/40/18 off set 45 would work for my 98 gsx. I'm concerned about wheel clearance and rub. Let me know thanks.

I dont have awd but have the same tire size with no problems. I have tein basics on and they are jacked all the way up. You cant really lower that much, atleast to my knowledge, using 18s. Get ready for a shity ride as well. I got my wheels with the car, should have got some 17s instead. I would have been much happier with ride quality. As far as looks go, they do look nice though.

I'm running 245/40/180 on 18x8 +40 lowered 2 inches with no rubbing. I did roll my rear fenders.

I am also looking to get 245/40/18, but on a 8.75 +35 rim. I know you have the XXR 527, which close to the XXR 530 I am planning to get. I figure this should work as well since I will be at +35 with a 8.75 rim compared to your +40 offset with 8.0 rim.

I wish you had new pics :(

Ask and you shall receive.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I tried to do several "different" things with this car.

Thanks for the pics, the tail lights looks good too.

Your setup has some stretch, which means I could get away with a 255/35/18 tire on the same rim width. My initial plan was to go for a 18x9.5 rim but the one I wanted was just too expensive (Wedsport SA55M). I came to my senses! The xxr 530 is a good alternative considering it is about 21-22Lb...

I'm running 245-40-17 , And they rub the control arms. Fixed with a set of wheel spacers.
:D

Thanks for the pics, the tail lights looks good too.

Your setup has some stretch, which means I could get away with a 255/35/18 tire on the same rim width. My initial plan was to go for a 18x9.5 rim but the one I wanted was just too expensive (Wedsport SA55M). I came to my senses! The xxr 530 is a good alternative considering it is about 21-22Lb...
Not necessarily true on the 255s. I have rolled the rears and pulled the fronts a little to make the 245s work.

Not necessarily true on the 255s. I have rolled the rears and pulled the fronts a little to make the 245s work.

I have been intrigued by the member Dyesuperman, who has been running 255/35/18 on his 2ga with 2ga knuckles. My only concern was at 18x8.75 (instead of 18x9.5) i will not be getting the stretch look like his. But may be it will good to have more side-wall to fend off some of those potholes attack :(.

Im running some 08+ lancer gts rims with 245/40 hoosiers on my 95 talon lowered about 2".

Stock offset for these rims +46mm according to what i have read.

I used a 10mm spacer up front without any other mods and they fit perfect now the rear has a 12mm spacer and rubs on the control arm very little a 13mm spacer would most likely fix this, now on hard acceleration or a load of people it is rubbing the fender but i took a hammer and flattened out the groove so it wouldn't cut the tire. It could use some pulling in the rear.

This is a good site for any other combinations you would like to check out. wheel_tire_fitment_FAQ

This is a good site for any other combinations you would like to check out. wheel_tire_fitment_FAQ

Yeah I have seen that a while back...good refresh though, thanks.
Also, a 245/40/18 sits slightly higher than a 255/35/18, and depending how low you are, you may not have to roll the fender.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back