The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Can spark plugs be on too tight?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S_Ranger

Banned Member
Aug 30, 2004
ca, Central_America
How tight should I have them on, I've tightened them so they can't turn no more, is that too tight? Will it affect performance?

That's always a bad idea - it's pretty easy to strip the threads in your aluminum head. You should never put strength into tightening a spark plug.

MyBlack94GST said:
That's always a bad idea - it's pretty easy to strip the threads in your aluminum head. You should never put strength into tightening a spark plug.

Amen, use a torque wrench. Otherwise serious headaches result.

yea, not too tight or you'll never get them off next time you wanna change them ( might stripe the threads in the head). never hurts to use some anti-sieze on the plugs either(especially with aluminum heads).

I heard you should get them seated, then turn 1/2 turn more. (But I use a torque wrench to be sure.)

Spark plugs should never be tightened that tight.

Aluminum heads are very easy to strip. If you strip the spark plug sockets, you'll probably be pulling the head to replace the threads.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back