The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Can I use fuel pump for water pump?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xero_Tolerance

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 27, 2002
Austin, Texas
The title pretty much explains it. Is there any reason why a fuel pump can't be converted into a water pump, say for a water inejctrion system? How many gph does the 1g awd stock fuel pump do anyway? Just a thought for using my old parts for something useful.

Another thought... Sorry if this seems stupid but I'm really wondering. Could you use the fuel injector to spray the water in also? That way you could change the rate based on how much power you give to the injector.

Just my $.02, I don't like to reinvent the wheel, so I went with a cooling mist kit because I didn't have to think of anything and of all the WI systems I've researched noone has used those parts to build one but I'm sure someone in the world has tried but I'd just use the parts that all the other systems use.

Xero_Tolerance said:
The title pretty much explains it. Is there any reason why a fuel pump can't be converted into a water pump, say for a water inejctrion system? How many gph does the 1g awd stock fuel pump do anyway? Just a thought for using my old parts for something useful.

Another thought... Sorry if this seems stupid but I'm really wondering. Could you use the fuel injector to spray the water in also? That way you could change the rate based on how much power you give to the injector.

Potentionalally, it can be used. However, the problem is that that fuel pump is 'submerged' pump, which means it needs to be submerged to keep cool. Otherwise it will overheat and fail. Also, conductive characteristics of water are pretty different, so fuel pump may have some difficulties operating in water.

I'd think that if corrosion wasn't a problem, people would be using fuel pumps instead of $150 SurFlow pumps for WI. Gasoline also contains lubricants that water doesn't.

Also gasoline has a very low conductivity to it; basically its very resistant to electricity, This is completly opposite of water, if you jump into a pool of gasoline with a hairdryer nothing is going to happen unless your on fire, if you jump in with a pool of water youll end up like a lightbulb..

Water itself is not a very good conductor. It's all the crap in it that can make it a problem.

As said, the corrosion factor is a big one, along with the lubrication.

It won't hurt to try. Use water as pure as you can get it, and give it a whirl. How much does a stock FP go for? If it seizes, you are only out a few bucks. I do recomend using it to spray the exterior of the IC for testing. IF it starts to corrode, you don't want that crap in the engine.

With the injector, you are looking at the same issues as water, plus actually driving it. It's not just an applied voltage. Check out a unit called Superfueler; a pretty cool gizmo. It uses injectors mounted to a spray plate (like Nitrous).

Potentionalally, it can be used. However, the problem is that that fuel pump is 'submerged' pump, which means it needs to be submerged to keep cool. Otherwise it will overheat and fail. Also, conductive characteristics of water are pretty different, so fuel pump may have some difficulties operating in water.
I have used a fuel pump to pump thousands of gallons of water and it worked fine until the day I didn't pay attention and let the water level drop below the level of the pump. It overheated and burned out.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back