The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Can I replace the water pump seal without removing the water pump?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brodiedehass

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 21, 2005
Millersburg, Ohio
Well I just got done putting on a new alternator and after install the o-ring on the water ump is leaking. I tried tightening the bolt on the alternator bracket and it still leaks. My question is can or has anyone ever removed the tube that runs under the exhaust manifold to replace the o-ring. I don't want to actually remove the water pump because the timing belt is brand new and the water pump is almost new. Thanks

Yes you can. You may or may not have to take off the turbo, mine has always been off already. There is a bolt somewhere behind the turbo that connects the water tube to the block. There is also another one that is mounted to the tranny bellhousing. Take those two bolt off and you might be able to slide the pipe out enough to replace the oring.

Well I got the o-ring off with little problems. I couldn't find a replacement one anywhere this evening so I tried one off a 6bolt parts motor. I was a little loose and did not seal up. :notgood:

brodiedehass said:
Well I got the o-ring off with little problems. I couldn't find a replacement one anywhere this evening so I tried one off a 6bolt parts motor. I was a little loose and did not seal up. :notgood:
you can get one at the autozone. they will sell you one without buying the waterpump

Well thats what I plan on doing. The only parts store open in our area past 6pm is Advance and they only had one with a new water pump and they could not sell it separately. I just really bummed because For the next 2 days its going to be really nice here but I will leave for school at 8 am and wont be getting home until 10:30 pm on Wednesday and Thursday. So unless I stay up late tomorrow night and fix it I wont get to drive it. :cry:

brodiedehass said:
Well thats what I plan on doing. The only parts store open in our area past 6pm is Advance and they only had one with a new water pump and they could not sell it separately. I just really bummed because For the next 2 days its going to be really nice here but I will leave for school at 8 am and wont be getting home until 10:30 pm on Wednesday and Thursday. So unless I stay up late tomorrow night and fix it I wont get to drive it. :cry:

if you really need this done ASAP, try silicone OMG

Luckily I don't really need to have it done. I did try silicone and allot of it. I just wanted to drive it ( my new 99 GSX) on some nice spring days and I think I will just pull a late nighter tomorrow night and put a new one on.

I have replaced the oring only last lear. It sucked. The turbo had to be dropped so I could remove the pipe and put on a new oring. But yes, it can be done.

Well I did get my o-ring off and I didn't have to remove the turbo. I removed the exhaust manifold, thermostat housing, and the power steering pump and bracket. All I need know is a new o-ring which I will get tomorrow.
By the way for hose reading this I am working on a 99 GSX.

I had the same problem and just removed the pipe, couldnt find an O ring so I coated the old one with some blue RTV and let it sit overnight. That was about a year ago and its still not leaking...

Just remeber to use an OEM o-ring! I used just one I found out of a box and it leaked. I had to redo the water pump. When I compared my o-ring to the OEM one I bought, the OEM one was a LOT thicker.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/151349495-post37.html

Depending on the setup you have and your ability, you can definitely wiggle out the water pipe without having to drop the turbo. It's just a PITA when you have a turbo waterpipe because of the nipple at the end (it always catches). If so, I have gotten away with taken out the nuts of the exh manifold and just moved the entire turbo assembly out 2-3" for enough clearance.

Last time I did one it was on a 2g. The only bolt that will give problems is the one right behind the compressor cover. After that I simply pulled the water pipe over to expose the o-ring. I did nothing but loosen the bolts holding the water pipe. If I had to do it on a 1g, I could probably be done inside of an hour. That includes draining and filling the coolant.

guys im sorry, but come to find out the seal to the tube isn't the one that is bad. It is the actual water pump gasket. In order to replace this do you have to remove the timing belt?

Yes, you have to do a full timing belt job when you replace the water pump. It sounds like a lot of $$$, but it's excellent preventative maintenance if you haven't done it in a long time.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back