The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

can i rebuild an ebay 16g with real parts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidewaystsi

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 8, 2008
st. germain, Wisconsin
Im sure this has been asked before but i couldn't find an answer when i searched. Got a ebay 16g from a buddy for 20 bucks just because i wanted the 7cm housing for my 14b.Anyway im wondering if anyone has ever tried or successfully rebuilt one using a real MHI rebuild kit?Is it even possible(bearings different size ect.)?

PM jusmx141. he should be able to answer most, if not all questions regarding turbo rebuilds:)

If jusmx141 replies can you post the answer as i have a blown ebay 16g i want to re-build:thumb:

The more recent eBay 16G's have had their turbine shafts upgraded to a T3-spec to prevent the shaft breakage that plagued the earlier models. If you buy a standard MHI 16G rebuild kit, it will not work on the majority of these turbos.

It's not worth it for the average consumer to attempt such a job unless you're like me and stock tons of various turbocharger parts.

What you need to do a basic service (no thrust hardware) is:

- A Garrett T3 turbine seal.
- A pair of Garrett T3 journal bearings.
- A Garrett T3 compressor seal.

What you need to do a full service (if the turbo has in/out shaft play) is:

- A Mitsuhishi TD05 thrust plate.
- A Mitsubishi TD05 thrust collar.
- A Mitsubishi TD05 compressor seal.
- A Mitsubishi TD05 compressor collar.
- A Mitsubishi TD05 oil shield.

Bascially you'd need to buy two full rebuild kits to do a complete service, and for not much more you could buy a new eBay 16G.

If you're using the eBay 16G's turbine housing on your 14B, you'll need to use the eBay 16G's adjustable wastegate actuator as well. It will need adjusted to work properly on the 14B...the towers on the compressor cover are different heights between the eBay and the MHI turbos.

now that i know i can rebuild a ebay 16g with real parts i know what im buyin myself for christmas

I'm telling you, it works. I rebuilt it myself. All parts removed from the turbo were the exact same as the MHI parts I put into it. I even used true MHI turbine and comressor wheels.

Hell yea i was thinking it would work but i never had 1st hand experience so i thought id ask first. Yea i figure between 20 bucks for the turbo then a rebuild kit and a balance i could have a 16g for about a hundred bucks.That works for me.:thumb:

now that i know i can rebuild a ebay 16g with real parts i know what im buyin myself for christmas
A $250 paperweight?

Rebuilding it yourself still doesn't solve the poor balance issues and inferior metals used in these turbos. I added up what it would cost to buy a new eBay 16G, replace all the parts with Genuine parts, port the wastegate hole to spec, and rebalance the rotating assembly in another thread on here a while back and the whole mess totaled just over $400.

I'm telling you, it works. I rebuilt it myself. All parts removed from the turbo were the exact same as the MHI parts I put into it. I even used true MHI turbine and comressor wheels.
Are you talking about an eBay 16G or one of the old Evo III GT turbos sold by Turbochargers.com?

The Evo III GT turbos use all MHI-compatible parts, the eBay 16G's do not. You may be misleading lots of DSMers with this statement.

The more recent eBay 16G's have had their turbine shafts upgraded to a T3-spec to prevent the shaft breakage that plagued the earlier models. If you buy a standard MHI 16G rebuild kit, it will not work on the majority of these turbos.

It's not worth it for the average consumer to attempt such a job unless you're like me and stock tons of various turbocharger parts.

What you need to do a basic service (no thrust hardware) is:

- A Garrett T3 compressor seal.

What you need to do a full service (if the turbo has in/out shaft play) is:

- A Mitsuhishi TD05 thrust plate.
- A Mitsubishi TD05 thrust collar.
- A Mitsubishi TD05 compressor seal.
- A Mitsubishi TD05 compressor collar.
- A Mitsubishi TD05 oil shield.

Bascially you'd need to buy two full rebuild kits to do a complete service, and for not much more you could buy a new eBay 16G.

If you're using the eBay 16G's turbine housing on your 14B, you'll need to use the eBay 16G's adjustable wastegate actuator as well. It will need adjusted to work properly on the 14B...the towers on the compressor cover are different heights between the eBay and the MHI turbos.

Is there a way to tell if its and older or newer one? I havent put it on yet but i assumed id need to use the actuator and mod it to fit proper.

Are you talking about an eBay 16G or one of the old Evo III GT turbos sold by Turbochargers.com?

The Evo III GT turbos use all MHI-compatible parts, the eBay 16G's do not. You may be misleading lots of DSMers with this statement.

Oh sorry, its the evoIII one, says evoIII,dsm 16g bla bla bla. Ill post a pic tonight if i get a chance.

I've been running on an Ebay Evo3 16g rebuilt with genuine parts at 16psi for over a year now. Not a problem yet. The turbo was givin' to me blown. I've got $25 into it total. All internals were replaced.

well i was goin on this idea i have a 13b? "1g auto" and i know someone with a blown up ebay evo iii and i figured for the 25 bucks he has into parts on his and he has a year i only want maybe 6 months from it because i have a tdo4 housing so i cant use anything exhaust man. and what not but if i had a tdo5 style housing i could start buying upgrades like a different man. 02housing etc till i got a good name turbo you know to fill the void in the crappy one

This is an actual Ebay Evo 3 16g bought by my cousin 5 or 6 years ago for @$150 andd it actually lasted him up to 2 years ago. Upon giving it to me for free I tore it completely apart and bought a genuine MHI rebuild kit along with both the compressor and turbine wheels from some unlucky ebay seller. I Made very well sure that every and all parts measured exact. No problems with anything whatsoever and nothing is an exaguration. The shafts were both the same exact size.

This is an actual Ebay Evo 3 16g bought by my cousin 5 or 6 years ago...

There's the reason.

If you have read anything I've posted thus far, you will see that the reason you got away with rebuilding yours using all MHI parts is because of it's age.

This is NOT how the more recent eBay 16G's are made, and MHI parts will NOT work on newer eBay 16G's.

It worked for you, that's great; we appreciate your input- however, the chances of it working for someone rebuilding a more recently-produced Chinese 16G are slim to none because of the running changes in production. I just want to stress that point so we don't have everyone running out and buying new Chinese 16G's with the impression that they can be rebuilt with MHI rotating assemblies because they can't.

Regardless, I would just use the 7cm housing on your 14b!
You'll have a 300whp+ capable turbo that will last you if its still in decent condition.
Faster spoolup than ebay16g and tons of street torque

LOL:thumb: Gotcha, so the lesson learned for this thread is you can rebuild an older version of the Ebay turbo's. But for those that don't know, is there a way to tell the difference between the 2, maybe casting #'s or something?

But for those that don't know, is there a way to tell the difference between the 2, maybe casting #'s or something?
I wish there was, but unfortunately there isn't a way to I.D. these turbos aside from measuring the shaft spec and comparing that to the info I'll post up here later tonight.

Some of the earlier Chinese turbos that I've seen use all MHI parts were distributed by XS Power. This isn't true for all as I have an XS Power 16G at my shop that has the thicker shaft and uses the T3 journal bearings and seals.

From what I've found over the years, ALL of the Evo III GT turbos (sold by Turbochargers.com until they were recently discontinued) are 100% compatible with MHI parts.

Regardless, I would just use the 7cm housing on your 14b!
You'll have a 300whp+ capable turbo that will last you if its still in decent condition.
Faster spoolup than ebay16g and tons of street torque

I was actually reading some thread the other day and i think it was you that had some good info about this, thats the whole reason i bought it off dude in the first place:thumb: Anyway i just wanted to see if it was possible to rebuild the junk one and do something with it rather than toss it in the trash.

LOL:thumb: Gotcha, so the lesson learned for this thread is you can rebuild an older version of the Ebay turbo's. But for those that don't know, is there a way to tell the difference between the 2, maybe casting #'s or something?

+1 :aha:now i know not to make that mistake thank you for the detail on why it cant be done well it can on the old one but on the new one its a mix n match of parts not likely to be ever worth it because of other problems:thumb: thanks again for saving me that headache

jusmx141, what's your opinion on the 'big 16g' from CXRacing? This one specifically... DSM Graveyard - Your #1 Source for DSM Parts! - my research shows that everyone says, for being an 'off' brand that it is a more reliable off brand.

Edit: Not that I'm trying to be cheap with, the 2g I picked up came with an ebay 16g, appears brand new (less than 500 miles) - and if it blows I'm looking for a more reliable cheap alternative heh.

jusmx141, what's your opinion on the 'big 16g' from CXRacing? This one specifically... DSM Graveyard - Your #1 Source for DSM Parts! - my research shows that everyone says, for being an 'off' brand that it is a more reliable off brand.
I can't see how any one Chinese knockoff can be any more reliable than the next. They're most likely built by the same facility that builds all the others- unless CX Racing is rebalancing each turbo they sell, there's no way it can be any more durable than the next.

CX Racing and Punishment Racing are somehow related....Punishment used to sell a "Budget 16G", which they no longer offer. I'm sure there's a reason for that.

After DSM Graveyard gives away 10 or 15 of these turbos on warranty service, I'm sure they will disappear from their lineup as well.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back